Something I noticed about weight and concealed carry

This is a discussion on Something I noticed about weight and concealed carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to be 6'2" and ~250lbs for the first year or two out of high school, I have a rather large frame so I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I used to be 6'2" and ~250lbs for the first year or two out of high school, I have a rather large frame so I was a pretty good sized kid. People used to tell me that I should have no problem concealing full size pistols on my frame, but that was certainly not the case. Even with a VM2 the hammer and butt always printed with a tshirt. Admittedly, I wear/wore flimsy department store belts, but as far as they go it was fairly stiff. I will be remedying that with a Beltman belt over the holidays. ;)

Recently I've trimmed down to 200lbs and found that I conceal my Kimber much better than I did when I was heavier. It doesn't follow reason that a smaller guy can hide a pistol easier, but it's true. I think maybe my love handles were pushing the butt of the pistol out from my side before. I can barely see signs of printing now with a tshirt, it should be near enough invisible with a proper belt.

I definitely agree, and I've said this many times before. It's often said that bigger people can carry larger guns easier, but I don't think that's true for the exact same reason you have stated. Our sides on us "bigger folk" tend to push the grip of the pistol out, depending on what position you wear it on your body. Over the past 4 or 5 years, I have dropped over 100 pounds. Not only am I more comfortable in general, but having anything on/in my waistband is much more comfortable. Even with as much weight as I've dropped, my sides won't go away. Granted they are a lot smaller, but the "handles" will always be there.

-Jeff-

Couldn't agree more. I am 6-2, 240, and while I am in good shape without handles, I have a blocky physique, and have to watch printing carefully. I find that thin men with a larger shoulder to waist ratio (whatever their height) can hide a gun better.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

I also agree. I'm 6'2" 190lbs with a light athletic build (what I consider average). I carry an XD45 Service. My friend who is the same height but with 40lbs on me (easy) cannot conceal it very well and carries a much smaller gun. Everything he puts on his belt prints and almost everything he wears IWB prints.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

You've gotta learn the magic of Hawaiian shirts!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Yup!! They are great arent they!?! And very comfortable!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Just what a blocky dude needs! A loud print to make me wider! oy....I just ordered an M-Tac and a kydex reinforced belt (I've gone el cheapo until now) so I'm hoping that will work. Otherwise, I'm gonna get some of those shirts and surrender. Not my taste, though.

Yep. I can attest to the fact that when you drop weight, it becomes very much easier to conceal a gun, no matter what size it is.

I can hide a much larger gun now than I could when I was a big fat guy. It all boils down to your shoulders being wider than your gut and the fact that the more fat you carry around the middle, the tighter your pants will be and the tighter your shirt will be across the gut. That causes printing and makes everything more uncomfortable.

,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Congrats man, that took some work. Well done.

Actually it realy depends on how you carry your extra weight and where it accumulates. My estra weight is in the front, not sides and back. I wear shifts and pants that are to large for me and have no problem concealing. I except the fact that I don't look like Superman so I don't wear tights. The last skin tight thing I wore was about 1958 and they were a pair of Cords I pegged myself. I had to actually cut the seams on my calves to get them off and add zippers in order to wear them.

We should have a thread with pictures of "before and after" for people that have lost weight. Well done, TN_Mike.

-Jeff-

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Actually it realy depends on how you carry your extra weight and where it accumulates. My estra weight is in the front, not sides and back. I wear shifts and pants that are to large for me and have no problem concealing. I except the fact that I don't look like Superman so I don't wear tights. The last skin tight thing I wore was about 1958 and they were a pair of Cords I pegged myself. I had to actually cut the seams on my calves to get them off and add zippers in order to wear them.
    I'd agree with this... I'm 6' and 260# and have no trouble at all concealing a 5" 1911 at 3:00. I'm broad shouldered, but most of my excess weight is up front... so I can easily sneak in a 1911 grip - even in my normal sized (read: pre-carry) t-shirts... I do wear my pants a size larger for IWB and I actually moved to tall sizes (XXLT instead of XXL) just so my shirts went down a little further and I wouldn't expose my weapon every time I raised my arms up...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

All depends on the build you have. I am fortunate to have that "V", larger chest, smaller waist. I can carry anything "with a good belt" of course and make it disappear. I am now 6'2", 200. When I was much larger, I still had that "V", but I sure do feel better now than I did. Funny what a little less chow and some sweat can do..
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I think it helps me out that I am broad and thick, but not normally overweight. I carry a full size 1911 with no issue (although I'm quite convinced that a 1911 is the easiest gun of reasonable size to conceal) and have tried carrying a Glock 21SF and had no problem hiding it. My weight fluctuates a lot between 155 and 175 lbs. When I am a little pudgy, my gun prints more.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I'm 6' and 240, Down from 278, no love handles to speak of. I find that I can carry anything I want with a XXXL shirt. A XXL is still loose on me, but will not hide a gun unless it's IWB, which I hate! Still lossing weight, and headed down to about 170.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links