How would you do this-ideas?

This is a discussion on How would you do this-ideas? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Several years ago I bought an Uncle Mike's el cheapo IWB and found it worthless for IWB, or perhaps IWB just isn't for me. Anyway, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you do this-ideas?

VIP Member

Several years ago I bought an Uncle Mike's el cheapo IWB and found it worthless for IWB, or perhaps IWB just isn't for me.

Anyway, I recently noticed that the gun I purchased the holster for fits nicely in my front pocket, and better yet, the gun and the otherwise useless Uncle Mike's holster both fit nicely in my front pocket.

The Uncle Mike's would make a nice pocket holster with some modifications---like maybe cutting off the belt clip and doing something to keep it in the pocket when the gun is drawn.

Cutting the clip off should be easy. I'm not sure about anchoring the thing in my pocket. I've thought about wrapping it with friction tape, velcro tape, maybe both, and using an ordinary safety pin (maybe a small diaper pin) to hold the bottom of the holster to my blue jeans.

(I don't wear anything but blue jeans unless someone is getting married or being buried).

Any thoughts on how to turn this Uncle Mike's #1 into a pocket holster that won't come out when the gun is drawn?

(Yes, I'm cheap. I already have a nice leather holster for my other gun which is the one I carry most of the time. I don't want to spend money on a new holster, but mostly I'm just trying to be "inventive" to see what might work.)

use some of that skateboard tape should give plenty of friction
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    use some of that skateboard tape should give plenty of friction
    Sounds like a plan. I have an Uncle Mike's lined ballistic nylon clip holster as well......from way back before I was a CC fanatic and learned of better things. Tell you what, that old seldom used cheapo holster works out nicely for me with appendix carry. It's soft, and conforms during activities like bending, or sitting in vehicle. I can't stand it for long, (several hours at best) but I do still see some potential for the old Uncle Mikes holster......I just can't bring myself to get rid of it. I'm like you, where there's a will, there's a way. Everything has a purpose.

I recently bought a PF9 and it came with an Uncle Mikes Pocket holster. Much like you described it has what could be described as a piece of tape that goes around it. The tape has a tacky quality that sticks to the inside of your pocket when you draw.

I'd give it a whirl.

rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Go to a sporting goods store and get some cloth hockey tape. The stuff they wrap on their hockey sticks. It has a slightly tacky feel too keep the puck from sliding off the stick. I think it's made of cotton It should give enough grip to hold it in your pocket. The skateboard non slip tape will work but it is extremely rough, it may try to wear a hole in your pocket.

If the hockey tape isn't tacky enough look for the tape boxers use to tape their knuckles. It's cotton but I can't remember if it's tacky on both sides.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    You could use an "Ace" type bandage that sticks to itself. It has a slightly tacky texture. You can get the really cheap ones at a $1 store.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    You could use an "Ace" type bandage that sticks to itself. It has a slightly tacky texture. You can get the really cheap ones at a $1 store.

It's called Coban.

Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    Go to a sporting goods store and get some cloth hockey tape. The stuff they wrap on their hockey sticks. It has a slightly tacky feel too keep the puck from sliding off the stick. I think it's made of cotton It should give enough grip to hold it in your pocket. The skateboard non slip tape will work but it is extremely rough, it may try to wear a hole in your pocket.

If the hockey tape isn't tacky enough look for the tape boxers use to tape their knuckles. It's cotton but I can't remember if it's tacky on both sides.
    Nope, only sticky on one, unless like me you left a roll sitting in the car on a hot summer day. Could still work though.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Moderator
    I have done the same thing, except I was more lazy.

I left the clip on and wrapped the hook part if velcro tape around the holster. It works fine.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Good luck finding hockey stick tape in College Station, Tx. But I know you can get a beer coozie.

Try cutting up a foam rubber drink coozie and gluing it to the base of Uncle Mike. Make it wide enough to wedge into the pocket when you draw. If you are creative enough you should be able to craft a design that is functional and also masks the outline in your pocket. I have successfully used silicone based glue like "Goop" to accomplish this feat. It also can provide padding wherever there is a pressure point. You can buy the coozie at a dollar store and probably the glue as well.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member

You can all start laughing at me

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Good luck finding hockey stick tape in College Station, Tx. But I know you can get a beer coozie.

Try cutting up a foam rubber drink coozie and gluing it to the base of Uncle Mike. Make it wide enough to wedge into the pocket when you draw. If you are creative enough you should be able to craft a design that is functional and also masks the outline in your pocket. I have successfully used silicone based glue like "Goop" to accomplish this feat. It also can provide padding wherever there is a pressure point. You can buy the coozie at a dollar store and probably the glue as well.
    That sounds like it might be a great idea, except I've no idea what a beer coozie is. (I'm guessing a foam rubber cup holder?) You can tell I'd single handedly cause a recession in the alcohol business.

Also, in one of the posts someone showed an Uncle Mikes pocket holster with a sticky surface. I have that same holster which I bought for a .380. I don't like that holster and I don't use it because it really doesn't stick all that well to the inside of the pocket. So, the gun I bought it for goes into a nice Andrews leather pocket holster.

Wrapping Uncle Mike's in Hockey tape sounds like a great idea, but yeah, we haven't seen ice in about 20 years. (But there is an ice rink here so maybe someone sells the tape.)

All, thanks for some good ideas. And, I do think I don't actually need to cut the belt clip off. Just cover it with tape.

Using hockey tape was just an example. They also use the tape on baseball bats, tennis rackets; anywhere you want a non-slip grip.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

I guess I'll have to admit to using an Uncle Mikes IWB holster as a pocket holster for my G26. All I did was remove the stitching that holds the clip on. It fit great in my pocket and did not come out w/ the gun w/out any further modification.
    Then I got this idea that I'd like to have a belt bag. So being a remarkably frugal person I went to Walmart and bought a bag in the sporting goods department for a whopping $6.88. It looks like a small belt bag that you might put a small camera in, definately not a gun. Now it needed a holster. So I took that altered Uncle Mikes and sewed a large piece of velcro to it and attached the other half to the inside of the bag. You know, it works pretty good! Of course the idea does need some more refining to make it perfect but now I actually need to buy a couple more of those holsters that nobody wants to admit they ever bought! Go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The Uncle Mike's would make a nice pocket holster with some modifications---like maybe cutting off the belt clip and doing something to keep it in the pocket when the gun is drawn.
    I have had the same problem trying to adapt an Uncle Mike into a pocket holster. I am surprised that Uncle has not put one on the market.

VIP Member

Sounds like a good tip

Quote Originally Posted by georgewain View Post
    I guess I'll have to admit to using an Uncle Mikes IWB holster as a pocket holster for my G26. All I did was remove the stitching that holds the clip on. It fit great in my pocket and did not come out w/ the gun w/out any further modification.
    Yes, my gun is very similar in size to G26; a S&W 99c .40. Removing the belt clip as you suggested would work, and wrapping the thing with the right tape would work keep it in.

So, someone, help this naive old guy out, what the heck is a beer coozie?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links