IWB holster question

IWB holster question

This is a discussion on IWB holster question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got my Karh cw9 this weekend. Been researching the forums here for last 2 days on the different iwb gholster people have and recomend. All ...

IWB holster question

Got my Karh cw9 this weekend. Been researching the forums here for last 2 days on the different iwb gholster people have and recomend. All seem good quality but i noticed some have a single type clip like ( high noon and the talon from the kahr site) while others have 2 clips or 2 belt loops.

So my question is does the 2 clicp or 2 belt loop distribute the weight better on your side compared to the single clip h olsters? Or is there really no difference between the 2?

thanks for the feedback

JD
    Administrator
    The two loop or clip will distribute the weight more efficiently BUT, with a Kahr CW9, I don't think it will make much of a difference as there's not much weight to start with.

Regardless of the weight issue, the single clip holsters tend to be a bit bulkier/thicker due to the fact that the single clip is considerably larger than the 2 smaller ones.

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    Regardless of the weight issue, the single clip holsters tend to be a bit bulkier/thicker due to the fact that the single clip is considerably larger than the 2 smaller ones.
    That has not been my experience. The clip on mine is the same as on MTAC, etc. Now, if you look at a Wild Bill's IWB tuckable, that clip is a little larger (but only a little wider), but it doesn't appear to be a general trend.

I think your statement about "a little bulier/thicker" only applies to those styles where the clip is aligned with the pistol. For my PM9, I went with an IWB where the clip is offset to the side so it doesn't add any additional bulk. The holster is ony as thick as the pistol (plus a layer of leather). Frankly, with the Kahr, I don't see a need for more than one clip since it's so light ... and another clip just increases the chance that the [tuckable] holster will be noticed.

As a fellow CW9 owner, I use an Mtac. With regards to the single clip, they are usually easier to put on and take off. However, the single clip, on the high-noon and talon type holsters are usually right over the gun itself. This makes the holster a little thicker as the clip sits on top of the gun. The double clips are usually offset to the sides and therefore allow the holster to be thinner. I have a high-noon holster for my 1911 that I use when I want something fast and easy to clip on for a few minutes. Something like the Kahr isn't really that heavy or thick, so the clip placement isn't as big an issue as it would be with a larger heavier gun. An offset dual clip type holster will be a bit thinner where the gun is, and will feel lighter on the hip, but will be more expensive, and not as easy on and off.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by alnitak View Post
    That has not been my experience. The clip on mine is the same as on MTAC, etc. Now, if you look at a Wild Bill's IWB tuckable, that clip is a little larger (but only a little wider), but it doesn't appear to be a general trend.

I think your statement about "a little bulier/thicker" applies to those styles where the clip is algned with the pistol. For my PM9, I went with an IWB where the clip is offset to the side so it doesn't add any additional buk. The holster is ony as wide as the pistol (plus a layer of leather).
    100% agreed. I was thinking of the CTAC Infidel with that ginormous clip in particular when I wrote that. But yes, when you can offset the clip (or clips), it dramatically reduces the 'bulk' of the holster.

I also noticed that most of the double clip ones have high leather all the way up the handle to stop the handle from digging or rubbing into the sides were the single ones usually dont. I that a problem for you all with the single clip ones? the handle rubbing your skin or digging into and so forth? what is a good cw9 iwb with high leather?

thanks

All good advice above. In my experience those holster with a clip or loop on each side offer better support and stability, are less prone to shifting, hold tighter to the body and don't add bulk directly over the gun. I like the Mtac, comfortable, stable and easy on and off when I want it to be.

All work OK. The key is to get the clips, loops, etc. off to the sides, rather than directly over the gun, as this makes the whole package thicker and less comfortable. The choice of leather, kydex or a hybrid (like the Tucker Answer) depends on personal comfort. Kydex is thinner, but sometimes uncomfortable against bare skin. It also tends tho allow the pants to slide down easier. Leather tends to keep the pants up better since most IWB holsters have the rough side out and it grips your skin/shirt better. They are thicker so they take up more room, but also tend to be wider, so they spread the load out more. Personally, I prefer leather with clips, but loops are OK.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Links