Best IWB Retention With Kids

This is a discussion on Best IWB Retention With Kids within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK so I'm looking at getting an IWB holster and considering the Supertuck or MTAC. I know there is a good split between the 2 ...

Thread: Best IWB Retention With Kids

Best IWB Retention With Kids

OK so I'm looking at getting an IWB holster and considering the Supertuck or MTAC. I know there is a good split between the 2 with fans on both sides but my qualification for a good holster is different. I have a 4 year old and 1.5 year old. I like to roll around on the floor and play with them. I obviously can't have my gun falling out on the floor when I'm doing this. So which of these holsters has better retention- or should I look at a different one? Thanks!

I know the belt does a good job of holding the gun in place- but I'm guessing one of these holsters would have better retention than the other regardless.

2. Remove Ads

I have praised SuperTuck every time I put mine on. I have wrestled with my kids wearing mine, I have played wiffle ball with it on.

I have 4 kids, for now, that are ages 11, 9, 6, and 4 and none of them have ever made my gun fall out. I have even had my 9 year old Daughter lay her head right on my pistol and she never knew.

I have never used an MTAC, but I hear good things about them.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Sheesh. I feel silly, but I never considered this problem. I don't have kids, yet. It still seems stupid to not have considered what is the best way to carry around children. I do have neices and nefews, but have not yet had any problem. Pretty stupid to take that to mean I shouldn't think about this.

Another way defensivecarry.com is a great site!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Senior Moderator
    I have an 18 month old and I swear buy SmartCarry.

At home I either pocket carry a snubbie or use my SmartCarry
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

i tried smartcarry- didn't work for me- it jabs into my gut

I carry with the MTAC - that said I recommend the supertuck for carrying while wrestling with the kiddos. All it takes is one of your little ones tackling you and busting their head open on the handle for you to decide that MTAC isn't the way to go.
    I just remove before wrestling with the younger kids or keep my right arm low to cover the grip. Older kids tend to stay away from your midsection, instead wrestling with your upper body.

EDIT: Retention isn't a problem with either since they're snapped in and somewhat held in place the holster, friction, and your body.
    [I]They make a desert and call it peace - Calgacus
    We're all just a bunch of Right Wing Racist Republican Homophobes - Rush L.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    I carry with the MTAC - that said I recommend the supertuck for carrying while wrestling with the kiddos. All it takes is one of your little ones tackling you and busting their head open on the handle for you to decide that MTAC isn't the way to go.
    Why is this different with the MTAC vs. the Supertuck?

Quote Originally Posted by NRATodd View Post
    Why is this different with the MTAC vs. the Supertuck?
    It wouldn't. I walked away from the kb typing one thing, (chasing a kid) and when I got back I thought I had it deleted because I went in a different direction.
    Failsauce.

What's more, you replied before I edited it too, so I just left it so everyone else can have a laugh.

Here's what I was going to recommend:

http://www.smartcarry.com/
    Here's a pic of a girl from 1991 (check the hair and clothes, LOL!) wearing:
    http://www.smartcarry.com/exposed.htm
    [I]They make a desert and call it peace - Calgacus
    We're all just a bunch of Right Wing Racist Republican Homophobes - Rush L.

I usually take my rig off and stow it far and out of reach before I start horsing around with my son (3) or nephews (9 and 11) if we're at home.

They're into all that pro wrestling stuff so there's high probability of them knocking their heads or elbows or knees on my rig or 'outing' me while trying to administer the Camel Clutch or Boston Crab!

During regular activity, the 3 year old climbs all over me and still likes to be carried sometimes and he actually uses my CCW as a foot rest! He doesn't ask or think anything of it though.

FWIW - I recently bought a BladeTech Nano IWB for my Glock 26. Retention is super secure and adjustable. I did the upside down super shake test on it (unloaded of course) and it DOES NOT BUDGE.
    Watch your six!

Links