I have a question......

This is a discussion on I have a question...... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do alot of you guys that have multiple 1911's Carry more than one gun in one holster? Like 3",or 4", In a 4.25 holster. Or ...

Thread: I have a question......

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar

I have a question......

Do alot of you guys that have multiple 1911's Carry more than one gun in one holster? Like 3",or 4", In a 4.25 holster. Or a 4.25 in a 5" holster?

Or do you have dedicated holsters.

Thanks
    Rocky

2. Remove Ads

I've got a Glock 21 and a Glock 30. I recently bought some leather for my G30 and had to ask myself, "Get Glock 21 holster to use for both, or decicated holster for the Glock 30?" Well, I went with a dedicated holster for the Glock 30 since it is my primary concealed carry gun and didn't want any more leather than what I needed.

Looking at it economically and realistically, it would probably be better to just get the longer length holster, its only a matter of an inch or so anyway, but I had the money and desire.
    - You never need a gun until you need one very badly.

- Running is for people who don't have ammo.

I have a croosbreed that fits all my 1911's.
    I bow to one king, and serve only one kingdom
    JESUS CHRIST

Senior Moderator
    Holsters that fit a 'family' of guns is sometimes called a 'slide'. Not all families can fit one holster, e.g. a Sig 229 will not fit a Sig 226. But, most 1911s in different sizes will fit one holster as will Glocks.

Typically, the longer guns stick out of the bottom of the holster and the shorter ones are about even with the bottom.

You can just get a longer holster for compatible, but different length guns but when you carry a shorter gun in a longer holster, it kinda defeats the purpose or advantage of the smaller gun. Of course, if it's an IWB holster, the extra length of the holster shouldn't matter.

However, if a longer gun is carried in a shorter holster, the slide/muzzle rubs against your clothing. If it's an IWB that exposed slide may be subjected to sweat which could mess up a nice finish.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I generally do the Holster X for Gun X and Holster Y for Gun Y thing.

Biker

Not a 1911 fella, but I have a dedicated holster for every gun.

In fact, every holster is identical except for size, so my draw is the same regardless of the gun I am drawing.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I've got a Versa Max 2 in horsehide/shark for my Wilson 5 inch. I've got aother Versa Max 2 in horsehide/shark for my Springfield 3 inch.

'Nuff said.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Depends on what mood I am in for the day. I have some that are 5", some that are 4.25". The bigger will of course service you for them all. Spoils the fun of ordering a ton of nice leather though if you have only one..What life is all about. Someone has to keep you makers well fed..Luck.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    I could see having a 5" and a 3" holster. but if you have a 3" 4" 4.25" 5" Would you get a 4.25 for the 4" also. Or get another one for the 4"

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I think the list will be split (I predict 60/40 in favor of using one that's close). While it'd work, I don't like the idea of the extra leather hanging below the muzzle, and would wonder if it wouldn't weaken/semi collapse the last quarter inch, particularly if worn IWB. Then it wouldn't work as well for the 4.25 inch commander. That plus, if I got a 4 inch 1911, it would probably be a Wilson Combat. Can't see a 2K+ pistol not having it's own dedicated holster. But that's just me (sorta picky that way).

Now if we're talking Glocks, my position might change. Besides, I'm more drawn to Kydex for them anyway. Just seems to "fit" them (though I've got some Galco leather rigs for them too). What the hey, I'm a holster junkie. I'll be placing an order with you soon after I get back to work.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I prefer dedicated holsters. For some reason, I can never get the exact 100% fit on a multi model holster.

Links