1.25" vs. 1.5" belt - Page 2

1.25" vs. 1.5" belt

This is a discussion on 1.25" vs. 1.5" belt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I prefer Holsters with inter-changeable Belt Loops, like the Milt Sparks Summer Special II. When I wear a suit, which isn't often, I use a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1.25" vs. 1.5" belt

I prefer Holsters with inter-changeable Belt Loops, like the Milt Sparks Summer Special II.

When I wear a suit, which isn't often, I use a 1.25" Belt. When I wear jeans, 95% of the time, I like a 1.5" Belt.

The 1.25" Gunbelt will hold the 5" 1911, but it's a hair more comfortable with the 1.5" Belt. The suit pants won't accomodate a 1.5" Belt.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Just get the clips to match up with the belt width that you choose. It sounds like the type of holster you are planning on is one that allows different clips, so you should be good to go...just order the same size as the belt.

None of my pants would fit a 1.5" belt...they are all tight with the 1.25". I have an MTAC with the 1.25" clips and it works great.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I prefer Holsters with inter-changeable Belt Loops, like the Milt Sparks Summer Special II.

When I wear a suit, which isn't often, I use a 1.25" Belt. When I wear jeans, 95% of the time, I like a 1.5" Belt.

The 1.25" Gunbelt will hold the 5" 1911, but it's a hair more comfortable with the 1.5" Belt. The suit pants won't accomodate a 1.5" Belt.

Biker
    Same with my Versa Max 2's. Milt Sparks makes loops for them from 1" to 1.75". You can get whatever size you need for the size gun belt you are wearing (I'd go for 1.25" with a suit, I use 1.5" for everything else).
    Last edited by T Bone; December 9th, 2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Because I neglected to proof read....
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

1 1/2"

I wear a 1.5" belt exclusively. 1.5" with a 1.25" taper, actually. But then, my selection of pants is a short list ... so, it fits them all. Very deliberately, I have made minor adjustments to my wardrobe in order to accommodate carrying. In the area of belt loop size, this is one of them. Took a couple years to work it in, as clothes don't wear out quickly, but once done it made it simpler to have a proper belt that could get the job done, instead of hoping an inferior belt might work.

If going for what will properly hold a holstered gun, I'd go with the 1.5" If you pick the correct design, particularly if you have a taper added, it should absolutely not scream "gun" to any casual observers. Wide <> gun. Ostentatious-gun-style = gun, IMO.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I use a 1.75" belt all the time, even before I started carrying. I don't want one any smaller.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Administrator
    Carrying a full size full weight firearm OWB - a 1.5" stiff belt is best provided that your belt loops will accept a 1.5" belt.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    1.50" is the standard belt size. From what customers tell me and from what I have seen. 1.50" Canted belt loops in a holster make a tight fit on a 1.50" belt but will also work when you are wearing dress pants. If you always wear dess pants. Then it would be worth it to get a 1.25" also. Just make sure your holsters are smaller slots also.

Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by CornstalkCop View Post
    You might get too much slop in the holster belt fit with a 1.25". Most holster slots are 1.75" which fits a 1.5" perfectly.
    Are you sure about this?
    I disagree...

Perhaps with off the shelf holsters, but custom hosters always give one the options to 'pick' the size of the belt holes.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I wear a 1.75 belt. It fits my jeans and my duty pants perfectly. The only problem I have is that I only have one suit that accepts it. The rest of my suits and dress slacks take a 1.5. I have been kicking around the idea of getting a 1.5 beltman. But then I may have to order new loops for my VM II.

To answer your question, I would go with the 1.5. It will fit most pants and will look just fine. IMO it will offer better support than a 1.25.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Guys...you know you can always spring $10-15$ and have your belt loops on whatever pants you have made to whatever size you want. Did it to 4 suit pants.
    - You never need a gun until you need one very badly.

- Running is for people who don't have ammo.

Dress Pants

100% of my dress slacks fit the 1.5 inch belts. Most are of the Men's Warehouse brand. Some are snug, but the belts do fit.

Belt Width

When I ordered my holsters from Alessi, he recommended 1.5 and glad I accepted the advice. Have two Beltman belts.
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

Quote Originally Posted by CornstalkCop View Post
    Guys...you know you can always spring $10-15$ and have your belt loops on whatever pants you have made to whatever size you want. Did it to 4 suit pants.
    I didn't know that, thank you. I like my 1.75" belt so that might be a good idea.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Ron
    Same here on the 1.5 size belt. Looks great on and fits all of my pants, including dress pants.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links