1.25" vs. 1.5" belt

1.25" vs. 1.5" belt

This is a discussion on 1.25" vs. 1.5" belt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which one should I get? I don't want to look like a cop carrying a duty belt which would give away that I am carrying....on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1.25" vs. 1.5" belt

1.25" vs. 1.5" belt

Which one should I get? I don't want to look like a cop carrying a duty belt which would give away that I am carrying....on the other hand how much stability do I loose with 1.25"? Also sometimes I wear dress pants- how stupid is the 1.5" going to look?

-HK P2000 SK
    Yet to purchase- IWB holster

Senior Moderator
    I can't speak for how stupid it might look, but my problem is very few of my dress and casual pants will accept a 1.5" belt.

Some claim that big 1.5" belt is a give away that you're carrying, but I'm not so sure about that.

I use 1.25 gun belts and don't have any probs. Regular 1.25 belts really don't work as well, depending on what and how you're carrying. IWB seems to work pretty well with regular belts. Belt holsters seem to need more support than a regular belt, be it 1.25 or 1.5 can provide.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I just got two Beltman belts. 1.5" and 1.75". The 1.5" fits the jeans perfectly. The 1.75" just fits the jeans loop. Now, the 1.75" looks like a band around my waist, but its a buckless used for under my duty belt. The 1.5" looks nice, not too big. I just ordered my dad a 1.5" for Christmas after measuring his dress pants and dockers loops.

I've been wearing a 1.5" with suit pants for the past 8-10 years doing celebrity and executive protection. It didn't look out of place.
    - You never need a gun until you need one very badly.

- Running is for people who don't have ammo.

Senior Moderator
    +1 on what Tangle said.

My dress pants don't have 1.5" belt loops so I use an 1.25" belt. I have not found any regular 1.25" belts that hold up to carrying well. So I spent the money on a good gun belt
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

maybe I should clarify that the belt I am most likely going with is a Beltman 1.25" or 1.5"...

Senior Moderator
    Ahhh, you're going with a gun belt it's just a matter of size. Will a 1.5 fit all your pants?

You might get too much slop in the holster belt fit with a 1.25". Most holster slots are 1.75" which fits a 1.5" perfectly.
    - You never need a gun until you need one very badly.

- Running is for people who don't have ammo.

I haven't ordered one yet (don't have money or a job at the moment ) but I will be ordering 1.5inch. Not sure if that helps, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

-Jeff-

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CornstalkCop View Post
    You might get too much slop in the holster belt fit with a 1.25". Most holster slots are 1.75" which fits a 1.5" perfectly.
    Good point. I order my holsters for a 1.25 belt. But, 1.5 holster slots work decently on a 1.25, but as CC points out, there can be a little slop.

Senior Moderator
    Tangle beat me to it,

I have 2 holsters with 1.5" slots and one is loose on a 1.25" belt and the other seems to be fine.

My other holsters have 1.25" slots
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I never even thought of the holster making a difference- good thing I asked. I am choosing between the MTAC and Supertuck and leaning toward the Supertuck. Is that made to be with 1.5"? Would it work with 1.25"?

I prefer my carry belt to be 1.5". I have a Wilderness 5 stitch and a Rafter S leather belt in 1.5".

I have a Wilderness 1.25" O Ring belt also that is double thick that accommodates carrying.

I switch off between the 3 depending on what pants\shorts I'm wearing.

My BladeTech Nano has adjustable loops (1.25-1.75) but I have 3 other holsters that have 1.5 loops or clips. All of them work fine between the 3 belts. Some better than others regarding comfort, but all about the same regarding security and weight bearing.

I almost never tuck my shirts in (except for work where I can't CCW) so no one sees how 'tactical' the belts look anyway.
    Watch your six!

I'm getting either the MTAC or Supertuck are those 1.5?

As Cornstalkcop points out in another post the Beltman, due to it's thickness will take some break in with your holster(s). The slot width at 90 degrees is fine for the thickness of the belt but when you thread the 2nd hole or slot it puts a slight arch in the holster causing the gun to fit good and tight and makes the slots very tight to the belt. Over time both the slots and the fit come to equilibrium.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NRATodd View Post
    I'm getting either the MTAC or Supertuck are those 1.5?
    The SuperTuck uses J hooks or clips and is not really sensitive to belt size. You can email them and ask what size belt they recommend 1.25 or 1.5

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links