Shoulder holster

This is a discussion on Shoulder holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just took my CC class this past week-end. The instructor, whom I liked a lot; a practicing attorney who has represented several CC holders following ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder holster

Shoulder holster

Just took my CC class this past week-end. The instructor, whom I liked a lot; a practicing attorney who has represented several CC holders following a shooting, really criticized shoulder holster carry. One of his reasons was that it was kind of show boatish, a la "Miami Vice", but also that in the horizontal position the gun is pointing at everyone behind you. I, on the other hand, think that my shoulder rig, an el paso saddlery "jackass" rig, is extremely comfortable, very easy to conceal in cooler weather, and quick to access. (My gun is either a Commander or full size Kimber .45. Just wondered what some other thoughts/opinions might be? Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I used to carry a full size 1911 in a shoulder holster...about two years I'd guess. I don't have either any more, but knowing what I know now, it's pretty much off my list for carry options. To me, it's a vulnerable position, and it's slow to get into action compared to other holster/carry options. The muzzle pointing in any certain direction would only be a concern for the unsafe pistolero. Guns don't go off by themselves. If you feel comfortable with what you're doing now, I wouldn't hasten to change. But I imagine you'll be learning plenty more to change your mind right here in the next 24 hours.

My wife wears a Sam Andrews Monarch rig almost daily with her Glock. She also has a Sam Andrews Monarch Vertical Carry Rig for "dressing up" with her Glock.

Unsafe? No more than a gun in a holster laying on a table.

I have worn a Galco jackass rig for about 20 years; I originally got it when I was riding a motorcycle a lot, and that was a really easy way to carry concealed, especially in the wintertime. I have always enjoyed the comfort factor, as I have had a lot of experience carrying with the rig for extended periods.

I really don't think there is that much of an issue regarding the gun pointing in back of you, it still boils down to training and practice and how you handle yourself. As far as liabilities go, I wouldn't worry about that either. That is just a lawyers' opinion. I know more than a few LEOs that use shoulder rigs to carry off duty and undercover (that is why I bought the jackass rig, on thier recommendation) and they all swear by them.

So don't worry, keep doing what you are doing, and be comfortable.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    It's an option, and a very viable one. If it works for you. great!

I've got 3 Miami Classics from Galco. At times, I've used them exclusively for months.

The "danger" factor, is only one of perception. No one likes to look and see the muzzle pointing at them from under your arm. If a cover garment is worn, this becomes a non issue. Most don't consider, but the muzzle is ALWYAS pointed somewhere. The guns don't go bang until made to do so.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I use a Desantis rig to holster my G23 at night (hangs on the bedpost), since if I get up in the middle of the night I will be in shorts and a t-shirt and can just throw it on and have a gun and spare mag. I seldom where it otherwise.

For along time I imagine shoulder rig sales were down, but now it seem that most officers you see in the desert are wearing one.

If a shooting is good I really can't see the fact that you carried a your pistol in a shoulder rig changing the outcome of the criminal or civil case.

Administrator
    How is something that is concealed and nobody sees Show Boatish?

Even the Hope diamond would not be Show Boatish if it was kept locked in a drawer and out of sight.

So your instructor believes that properly holstered firearms go off all by themselves?

He is instructing his students out of the wrong body opening.

Rather than replace your shoulder holster - you should replace your instructor.

Holsters are like accessories to some, some have IWB for carry, OWB for the range, and others like the shoulder harness for when you ride bikes or other reason like some of the above have mentioned.

One piece of mind though, I know a few LEO's that do have shoulder rigs, and they say it wears down their clothes sometimes..

But concealed is concealed, so I don't know why they said it's bolstering.... the only time someone should know is when they are saying "ut oh!"
    1st Combat Engineer Battalion - Pistols Ruger P44, Baby Eagle .45, HK45 Full Size

I've tried a lot of different holsters and I too prefer a shoulder rig. I'm a big guy and hip holsters constantly bang into things and that makes me more nervous.

My rig is very adjustable and I'm able to set it up so that the gun is not pointing directly backwards, but more down and back. So if there was an AD for some odd reason (not that there would be) it would not fly anywhere but down. I also set it up very high, so my pistol is just about in my armpit. It is very quick to grab and I don't need to wear a jacket or anything to maintain a concealed weapon.

There is also almost no way a bad guy could reach in and grab it, as I could just clamp down my arm against my body and keep it safe. IMO a hip holster is vulnerable to an easy grab should you get into a grappling situation with a bad guy.

I can understand why some people see a shoulder holster as a risk compared to a IWB/OWB type but I feel much safer with my shoulder rig. Always use what works best for you, because you are the only one that can say.

Galco Miami Classic for years on my motorcycle, and when I am wearing a jacket that is more loose fitting in public. Slow, maybe, if one does not practice draws, etc. Pretty much the same with all modes of carry. I believe if you know your equipment and train accordingly you will be fine.
    Heck, ask 10 people about OWB and IWB and see where that rabbit hole takes you. Luck.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

I use both horizontal and vertical shoulder holsters. I prefer the horizontal type. However, my longer barreled guns print too bad so I put them in vertical holsters.

All my holsters cover the trigger guard. Gun is not going to discharge whether carried in a shoulder holster, OWB, or any other way.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    I'm sitting here in an express shoulder rig for my Glock 19 from Mitch Rosen.

I do it because I can't carry at work (company rules, as well as safety hazards) but like to be armed as soon as I get home.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

I too carry in a shoulder rig and can't add much that hasen't been said except one thing. Ever tried to draw your weapon while sitting in a car with a seatbelt on?
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

what does he shoot ?
    Showboating ? Hope his isn't fancy and nickel plated !
    He ought to understand that certain guns don't fit certain-sized people. My g21 for instance, the best way for me to carry it is in a shoulder holster with my leather coat as a cover.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Administrator
    I have been around firearms since I was 6.5 years old and have never seen a holstered firearm go off all by itself either in a horizontal or a vertical position.

The last time I checked...firearms do not know if they are horizontal or vertical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links