How do you carry in a vehicle - Page 2

How do you carry in a vehicle

This is a discussion on How do you carry in a vehicle within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by smotta bonehead, where do you carry? I have a 5" 1911 at 3:30 OWB with bucket seats in a VERY small car, ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smotta View Post
    bonehead, where do you carry? I have a 5" 1911 at 3:30 OWB with bucket seats in a VERY small car, and it's not too bad. Usually grab the frame and "umph" it ever so slightly forward once I'm seated.

Just drove 14 hours both ways for Thanksgiving with no problem.

3:30-4
    Can't do anywhere from appendix to 3:00 b/c it either jabs my gut or the trochanter (the big bony lump on the side of the thigh).

It stays at home... In the holster

You ever put your cell phone in the passenger seat and make a sharp turn to the left? What happens to that cell phone? Mine departed the jeep (no top, no doors 80% of the year) and bounced on the road.

Imagine that with a gun.

Well I don't know if this is what your looking for or not but here's what happens... When you carry in your vehicle say on your right side right above your back pocket. You grab the seat belt with your left hand and pull out while your leaning forward to draw. Once drawn don't let go of the seat belt with your hand. Your going to slide your left hand down the length of the belt to unfasten it the whole time not letting go and your gun pointed at the target. Once you get the belt past your body let it go and reach for the door handle. From there I normally just open the door and push my left leg up against the door so I can lean out and shoot with out my feet dangling out of the vehicle for an easy target. Just my two cents.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I wouldn't want to be taking it in and out of holsters. Increased chance of ND and/or someone seeing it and freaking out.

Besides: when you are driving a car your best self-defense weapon is your car.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

My holster usually stays in the holster while in the car. If I'm in an area of concern, then my sidearm is tucked under my thigh or tucked between the seat and console.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I commute over an hour each way 4 days a week over a mountain, 3:00 in an OWB or IWB I still feel that my carry weapon is easily accessible in a hurry.
    I agree with some of the previous posts, things will will tend to move around in a car in motion if not secured to ones self. Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWolf View Post
    Well I don't know if this is what your looking for or not but here's what happens... When you carry in your vehicle say on your right side right above your back pocket. You grab the seat belt with your left hand and pull out while your leaning forward to draw. Once drawn don't let go of the seat belt with your hand. Your going to slide your left hand down the length of the belt to unfasten it the whole time not letting go and your gun pointed at the target. Once you get the belt past your body let it go and reach for the door handle. From there I normally just open the door and push my left leg up against the door so I can lean out and shoot with out my feet dangling out of the vehicle for an easy target. Just my two cents.
    Uh...you lost me at "Well I don't know if this is what your (sic) looking for....."

I have a Sig Sauer jacket with a concealed pocket inside. That's where it stays. Very comfortable!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I have a Sig Sauer jacket with a concealed pocket inside. That's where it stays. Very comfortable!
    Got a pic?
    Jackets are not the most viable option here when it hits 115 F.

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    Got a pic?
    Jackets are the most viable option here when it hits 115 F.
    Here's the photo. I agree that in Arizona, in summer, it might not be very comfortable, unless you're up in the hills. In summer here I use a fanny pak.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I was thinking about fashioning some kind of holster rig between my seat and the console or underneath the seat. Just have not got to it yet. I keep it in the totally not-quick-to-get-at glove box.

Additional gun holstered between console and passenger's seat.

I added a gun because transferring to/from SmartCarry while driving ain't fun nor safe.

I do exactly what ANGELO25 does .

VIP Member
    Like a lot of others, my weapon stays on me always. Keeping it any place else makes getting seperated from it far too easy.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I carry while driving the same way I always carry whatever it may be that day, in my holster on me. There are a few exceptions which would require rather lengthy descriptions and if my carry pistol is not on me (seldom), then it's chamber empty/trigger back (Glock). That may be under my leg in the captain's chair, or wedged between the captain's chair and the middle seat/console.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links