How do you carry in a vehicle

This is a discussion on How do you carry in a vehicle within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My husband installed a holster on the console area just right of the steering wheel. It works great. Fast access and secure. I will try ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you carry in a vehicle

My husband installed a holster on the console area just right of the steering wheel. It works great. Fast access and secure. I will try to get him to come in and explain how he did it in the next couple of days. I think he has pictures too. It is impressive.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

I usually pocket carry one of my guns in my coat that is easier to get too. My primary is usually at 3 to 3:30 so I can get to it.

One of the best options and one that I use is an Ace Car Holster that I use for longer trips.

Ace Car Holster from Smartcarry
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

For short trips, my pistol stays in its usual position at 7:00-8:00 o'clock (left -handed!). It does tend to poke me in the kidney area causing me to sit twisted in my seat. For long trips, obviously, this is not at all comfortable. I recently tried a FIST driving holster (crossdraw) and while it is much more comfortable, I just don't like the holster itself (It is very difficult to draw from and doesn't conceal well). So, I'm still looking - my holster drawer groweth!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

bonehead

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    For short trips, my pistol stays in its usual position at 7:00-8:00 o'clock (left -handed!). It does tend to poke me in the kidney area causing me to sit twisted in my seat. For long trips, obviously, this is not at all comfortable. I recently tried a FIST driving holster (crossdraw) and while it is much more comfortable, I just don't like the holster itself (It is very difficult to draw from and doesn't conceal well). So, I'm still looking - my holster drawer groweth!
    Exactly! I have to sit a bit forward or twist my body a bit everytime I get in the seat. Not comfortable.
    I really don't want to crossdraw. Why I don't want to use the mapholder.

I broke down and bought the Desantis Kingston setup. I'll post some pics and impressions after I get it.
    HK45c V1

For times when I know I'm in a car for a longer time, it's my Kimber Ultra Carry in my left handed UBG Striker at 8:30. I'm 6'3" and a solid (not fat) 255 pounds and I don't even know it's there. I've tried it with my Kimber Pro CDP and my CBOB and I do feel it with those, so it's the size of the pistol making the difference. (insert "DUH!" here )
    That's what works for me.
    Good luck!
    Sarge
    Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

If itís a pocket pistol I leave it where it is.

If itís a Glock I take it off and put it in the center consol. Easier to get to should I need it in the car.

I do normally leave the holster on my belt.

my coat has an inside pocket more then large enough for my XD40SC. in the car, that is where it in. inside coat, weak side, right over my heart. stop the car, put it back in right side mtac. then get out of the car.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Look at the FIST crossdraw. Think it's called the "Bodyguard". It is a crossdraw (vertical) when you are standing. I "rotates" about 80 degrees to nearly a horizontal position when you sit in your car. Quickly adjusts from one position to the other depending whether you're sitting or standing....takes about one second.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    You would be pretty toasty and snuggly in that coat... LOL

The SmartCarry car holster idea has some merit, and this could be done with an inexpensive Uncle Mike's and some Velcro... I'm gonna look for a good spot for that in my truck...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

I carry in my car (lot of driving hours per day) the same way I always carry... A shoulder holster.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

I don't change, if for no other reason than being lazy. But it's always where I expect it.
    Mykel

more later...

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    No different for me. However it would be hard to get IWB @ 3:00 with seatbelt. Probably my weakest area of defense when it comes to getting to my gun fast enough.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Safepacker

If it's not in the Serpa on my hip then it's in a Safepacker attached to the seatbelt.

See the photos at the link to see how it works with the seatbelt.

I like this method of in-car carry because the firearm is still quickly accessible, yet concealed and will not going flying around the cab in the event of an accident.
    Life Member: Grass Roots North Carolina, GOA | Member: NRA
    Carrying: Springfield Armory XD(M) .40 S&W | Kel-Tec PF9

I normally remove mine from the holster when I get in the car. I will slide it under the folding arm rest/console. It holds it in place very nicely. I guess the only problem with this will be in the event of an accident. It would probably pop right out of there, but if I need it, it is very easy to access.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    My holster usually stays in the holster while in the car. If I'm in an area of concern, then my sidearm is tucked under my thigh or tucked between the seat and console.

Same here except I will tuck mine in my waist band versus under the thigh.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links