How do you carry in a vehicle - Page 4

How do you carry in a vehicle

This is a discussion on How do you carry in a vehicle within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Dont change a thing....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    VIP Member
    Dont change a thing.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    One 1911 in her holster and the other one in a holster either in the map pocket or wedged between my seat and the center /console seat. The latter is a strong-hand draw and is perfectly positioned. Sure, in a rollover it would fly, but if that happens I think my issues are a bit deeper than where my pistol is going.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

The seat belts buckle on the center of the car. I'm right handed so I place a IWB on the weak side and that way the grip is pointed the right direction for cross-draw or I use my sholder holster. If my wife is driving I place my holster on the strong side or use sholder holster. I also have seen an holster taht bolts to the underframe of the das and has a zipper enclosed holster that meets the concealed requirments in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by richardsr View Post
    The seat belts buckle on the center of the car. I'm right handed so I place a IWB on the weak side and that way the grip is pointed the right direction for cross-draw or I use my sholder holster. If my wife is driving I place my holster on the strong side or use sholder holster. I also have seen an holster taht bolts to the underframe of the das and has a zipper enclosed holster that meets the concealed requirments in Texas.
    Wow that sounds interesting, by chance do you have a picture of that underframe of the dash zippered holster?

I just got the Desantis Kingston rig for the car. Comes with a nylon holster and a strap to place around the seat. The holster comes with a clip that can also be used as a IWB rig. The holster itself is nothing special. Would never wear it as a IWB because it doesn't have a reinforced mouth, so reholstering requires two hands.
    So, until I can find a comfortable/accessible IWB setup to wear while driving, I'll probably be using this for now. Will post pics once I set it up.
    HK45c V1

For a while I kept it in the pocket behind the passenger seat -- the elastic on the top of the pocket is very taut, so in almost any conceivable situation it would stay put. Plus I'm 6'5 so my seat is generally further back than my passenger's, making the draw very simple. Certainly easier than my IWB... my size (230 lbs) makes drawing quite the affair.

I stopped doing that for a few reasons:
    1. Concern about separation.
    2. Switching from holster to pocket and back means exposing your firearm to anybody in the car and potentially others outside... If there's a situation where I need to leave the car quickly but don't need (yet) to draw (say a fender-bender) = really not good.
    3. Drawing from there makes sweeping your passenger almost inevitable.

So I carry IWB at 3:15ish, which is actually pretty comfortable with my MTAC. Yes, I'm concerned about the idea of being confronted while seated, but I'll hope that precautionary measures (awareness, leaving room in front, etc.) will mitigate those dangers, and overall I think the hazards associated with not carrying on your person are higher.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

holster position

I velcrow a spare holster to the front of the seat bottom under my right leg. It is out of site and very easy to access. I pocket carry a pm40

Ankle and center console for me....oh yeah, and M4 in the trunk.
    SAEPIUS EXERTUS-SEMPER FIDELIS-FRATER INFINITAS

Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz View Post
    My primary CCW is in it's Sparks VM2, and whilst driving, the Taurus UL is always in my Renegade ankle holster.

Ankle holsters are pretty dang quick while seated in an automobile, IMO!
    +1 Yep! Ankle holster for your BUG.. J.H. Stay Safe

I've tried several methods (including center counsel and pocket behind the passanger seat), but for me, it still seems that the best choice is leaving my SA micro-compact in my Hume @ the 4:00 position.
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

Desantis Kingston Car Holster

Finally had a chance to install this thing. Kind of a pain to wrap the strap around the seat. Will probably need to adjust the holster to sit a bit more centered b/w my legs, but I'll play around with that.

HK45c V1

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    Finally had a chance to install this thing. Kind of a pain to wrap the strap around the seat. Will probably need to adjust the holster to sit a bit more centered b/w my legs, but I'll play around with that.
    nice rig and really nice ///M....have always wanted one

I've been SERIOUSLY thinking about getting one of these... think it would be great for the road trips I take to like Nascar races. The main question that I have is: When you draw your pistol does this make the strap slide and make it difficult to draw? Don't really see what keeps the holster firmly in place. Hope that question makes sense. Thanks!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by b4aftr View Post
    nice rig and really nice ///M....have always wanted one
    I assume you mean the car and not the holster
    Yeah, it's a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    I've been SERIOUSLY thinking about getting one of these... think it would be great for the road trips I take to like Nascar races. The main question that I have is: When you draw your pistol does this make the strap slide and make it difficult to draw? Don't really see what keeps the holster firmly in place. Hope that question makes sense. Thanks!
    I think I know what you mean. I think the only thing securing the holster is how tight you make the strap. The holster itself is just a ballistic nylon, so it's not 'molded' to the gun. It slides out easy enough without being too loose.
    Truthfully, I just installed it today so I don't know how it would work while drawing under pressure. Biggest obstacle I can foresee so far is that there's not a whole lotta room between the seat and the steering wheel to draw the pistol. Think this would work much better in a truck/SUV where there would be more clearance. I'll give it a few draws (unloaded) and see how it works.
    HK45c V1

I assume you mean the car and not the holster
    Yeah, it's a lot of fun.

I think I know what you mean. I think the only thing securing the holster is how tight you make the strap. The holster itself is just a ballistic nylon, so it's not 'molded' to the gun. It slides out easy enough without being too loose.
    Truthfully, I just installed it today so I don't know how it would work while drawing under pressure. Biggest obstacle I can foresee so far is that there's not a whole lotta room between the seat and the steering wheel to draw the pistol. Think this would work much better in a truck/SUV where there would be more clearance. I'll give it a few draws (unloaded) and see how it works.
    Great point you make there. Honestly hadn't really thought of that either. Thanks for your input on it!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links