Tuckable, IWB, Comfortable Holster (P239)

This is a discussion on Tuckable, IWB, Comfortable Holster (P239) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alrighty, first and foremost, I have searched these forums endlessly, but as you can imagine there is so much that it is difficult to find ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuckable, IWB, Comfortable Holster (P239)

Tuckable, IWB, Comfortable Holster (P239)

Alrighty, first and foremost, I have searched these forums endlessly, but as you can imagine there is so much that it is difficult to find just what I'm looking for. So, here it goes....

I want to find a holster that maximizes each of the following factors (I'll note the ones that are absolutely required) and hope you might have a suggestions.

1) Tuckable - I need to be able to conceal it with a tucked in shirt. It's okay if I have clips showing, although I would like to minimize their appears (I may end up with C-hooks or J-hooks so that much of the hooks is behind my belt).

2) IWB - Clearly the tuckable requirement leads to IWB, but I thought I'd add it for completeness.

3) Comfort - Ideally, I want one that is comfortable when seated in a chair or in the vehicle. I realize this might be a compromise, but if I find a holster that adds to the comfort, that might be a major factor.

4) Two Clip Design - My thought is that this will help distribute weight and keep the holster/gun in position when moving between seated and standing positions.

5) 5 o'clock Carry Position - Although I am open to other carry positions, I envision this to be the best position for concealment given my typical dress.

These factors I think are "nice", but not required:

1) Leather
    2) Interchangeable Clip Colors (to help hide the clips when wearing different colored clothes)

Here's what we're workin' with:

Me: 180lbs/6 ft (slight build); First Time Carrier
    Gun: Sig Sauer P239 9mm

Any suggestions?

Sig Sauer P229 Elite imm Stainless - Click for pictures
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS II (SRT) 9mm with Crimson Trace Laser
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    <--- very interested in this post...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

I have a P239 and can recommend two holsters:

1) Galco Skyops. The (black only) clips are near invisible, they don't cover the whole belt but overlap maybe 1/8" at three points in sort of a "Y" grip. You MUST order the right Y grip size to match the width of your belt. Holster mouth is not reinforced so it will collapse when gun is drawn. This is not a two-slip design you requested, but I have not noticed much shifting when wearing it. I do have some "excess body mass" that may hold it in place better, though. YMMV.
    http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...61&CatalogID=7

2) Crossbreed Supertuck. Although I don't wear this tucked, it is meant to do so. There are two black plastic belt clips maybe about 1" wide that completely cover the belt. The holster is Kydex, so re-holstering after a draw is not a problem.
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/beltslide.html

Of the two, the Galco Skyops conceals the best, mostly because the belt clips are not very noticeable, even with a different color belt, because they are so small.

The Supertuck has an option there you can velcro the clips to the rear of the belt, rendering them pretty much invisible. You have to order it this way; I have not so can't speak as to how well it works.

Both holsters are comfortable, even when seated (I wear at my 3-3:30 position). I prefer the Supertuck but I normally wear shirts untucked. For tucked shirts the Skyops is in my opinion superior in terms of concealment.

Hope this helps.

I love my comp-tac minotaur. suggested it to my dad and dad-in-law...and would buy another if I had to.

Keep them coming I'm looking for a new holster myself.

I have a Sig 220 in a #15 Uncle Mike's... feels like drinking Dom Perignon in a wino's brown bag...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    I have a Sig 220 in a #15 Uncle Mike's... feels like drinking Dom Perignon in a wino's brown bag...
    I'm assuming that's a bad thing.
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    I have a P239 and can recommend two holsters:

1) Galco Skyops. The (black only) clips are near invisible, they don't cover the whole belt but overlap maybe 1/8" at three points in sort of a "Y" grip. You MUST order the right Y grip size to match the width of your belt. Holster mouth is not reinforced so it will collapse when gun is drawn. This is not a two-slip design you requested, but I have not noticed much shifting when wearing it. I do have some "excess body mass" that may hold it in place better, though. YMMV.
    Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

2) Crossbreed Supertuck. Although I don't wear this tucked, it is meant to do so. There are two black plastic belt clips maybe about 1" wide that completely cover the belt. The holster is Kydex, so re-holstering after a draw is not a problem.
    Links

Of the two, the Galco Skyops conceals the best, mostly because the belt clips are not very noticeable, even with a different color belt, because they are so small.

The Supertuck has an option there you can velcro the clips to the rear of the belt, rendering them pretty much invisible. You have to order it this way; I have not so can't speak as to how well it works.

Both holsters are comfortable, even when seated (I wear at my 3-3:30 position). I prefer the Supertuck but I normally wear shirts untucked. For tucked shirts the Skyops is in my opinion superior in terms of concealment.

Hope this helps.
    Fantastic detail, John. Thank you very much.

Those definitely look promising and I appreciate the firsthand appraisal of them.
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

IMO, the two best that fit your description...

Tucker Texas Heritage or K&D Dakota Defender

Texas Heritage IWB
    K&D Holsters | Custom Gun Leather and Shooting Accessories
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

The only holster that meets ALL 5 of your criteria (IMO of course) is the Crossbreed Supertuck with emphasis on #3 - comfort.

Okay, so here is what we have, based on my own searches and the great recommendations in this thread:

CrossBreed Super-Tuck Deluxe! - $55
    Links

SKYOPS HOLSTER - $79.95
    Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

Texas Heritage IWB - $100
    Texas Heritage IWB

K&D Holster Dakota Defender - $70
    K&D Holsters | Custom Gun Leather and Shooting Accessories

Galco U.S.A. ULTIMATE SECOND AMENDMENT - $69.95

Galco U.D.C. ULTRA DEEP COVER HOLSTER - $76.95

Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC - $80
    Comp-Tac : Products

Mason-Dixon™ OWB/IWB Convertible - $80
    http://www.bluegrassholsters.com/mason-dixon.html

Hope this helps others.
    Last edited by SigSire; December 12th, 2008 at 02:40 PM.
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

Which way are you leaning, SigSire...?

Not sure I'm gonna like all the plastics... doesn't Kydex wear on the gun more than leather?

VIP Member
    Big plus for the MTAC is the ability to interchange holster bodies for different guns. The MTAC seems to have a better finish, because the backside where the hardware comes thru is covered by leather. IMO
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Which way are you leaning, SigSire...?

Not sure I'm gonna like all the plastics... doesn't Kydex wear on the gun more than leather?
    I have no idea.

The Super Tuck looks nice and simple--also comfortable. However, it lacks any adjustability and thus prevents the user from tweaking the exact "ride"--namely, depth of carry and cant.

From a holster-itself conceal perspective, the SkyHops hooks look pretty intriguing.

There others are definitely in the running, except for the Galco ones.

Other than that, I'm still confused. I echo your frustration in the other thread about the difficulty in choosing a holster, especially when it might take 2 months to get it.
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Spyderco Native(s)
    Surefire G2 LED Light
    ....I have the Signess.

2 months...? I just saw a site that stated 4 to 5 months...

Probably a nice surprise... the UPS man comes with a holster you forgot you ordered...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links