OK... How does one select a holster...?

This is a discussion on OK... How does one select a holster...? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been reading... I've been studying... surfed dozens of websites and complied a list of 40-plus holster companies, from Uncle Mike's to exotic custom builders. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK... How does one select a holster...?

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar

I've been reading... I've been studying... surfed dozens of websites and complied a list of 40-plus holster companies, from Uncle Mike's to exotic custom builders. And I am no closer to getting an EDC holster.

I'm probably getting a SmartCarry; that can be worn anywhere I wear pants, but I don't think I am crazy about the "crotch-draw"... IWB sounds uncomfortable, but OWB is harder to pull off in sunny Florida. I did buy a Tagua Gunleather OWB for for my Taurus PT745 and it seems like a serviceable rig for 45 bucks, but I seem to print really bad with it, in spite of it's very compact size.

So, I need to at least look into IWB's... I'll get "made" fast with this Tagua. I read a forum post where the author said, "go with the $80 or $100 holster first and avoid a drawer fulla cheap holsters you never use..." Makes sense to me. I'm ready to pay for quality. But...

I am getting the feeling that a holster is a VERY personal thing... even more so than the firearm one carries. I've read many, many posts, here and elsewhere, where people say, " I bought a Brand X holster and didn't like it, wore it for 3 days and then put it in my sock drawer..." The very next poster says he loves Brand X and he'd never buy anything but a Brand X holster again...

Hence my dilemma. I am pretty sure I am a "leather" guy rather than a "plastic" guy... my dad used to make hand-crafted leather stuff, so I can recognize and appreciate good work. But suppose I buy a nice custom holster for 120 bucks, and when I get it, I hate it...? I'm very unaccustomed to paying $100 for something I don't like, and in many cases, can't return.

On top of that, the wait time for some of these guys is outrageous... I'm sorry, and no offense to you holster makers here, but 16 or 20 week turnaround is what one expects from Ferarri, not Fred's Leather Stuff. I appreciate your art, your craftsmanship, your attention to detail and one-at-a-time production method... I watched my dad do it for years. But if I wait 4 months for a holster that I can't stand to wear, no matter how pretty it is and how wonderfully crafted it is, I'm not gonna be a happy camper.

So far, I haven't found anything "off the rack" yet. The gunshops I have been to have a limited inventory. What about gun shows? Never been to one... do they have a better selection...?

Or does everyone just throw the dice and hope they don't roll snake eyes...?
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Total crap shoot. I'll probably go through at least 2 or 3 before I find one I'd feel comfortably wearing on a daily basis.

Find a local forum and get to know the guys. Most folks would be glad to show and share their stuff. I've loaned holsters to many new shooters to see if they were right for them.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I use the SmartCarry move often than my MTAC with my XD40. Sucks too because I paid twice the price for the MTAC. Honestly it does just come down to how much you like the piece. I've got custom leather for my Kahr too, but normally wear it in another generic bellyband type holster. Just more comfortable and easier to draw from since I normally wear button up shirts. "To each their own" really epitomizes this topic. Good luck, hope it doesn't cost the farm! =D
    Dave
    Springfield XD .40 Service
    Para Ord Hawg 9
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 22A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBMq...eature=related

I went to a smaller gun store, not a Cabalea's type. I tried on several holsters that fit my gun, I even brought my gun IN so I can get a feel for it in the holster.

And listen to what other folks said on this forum, get a gun belt. I carry a 45 Sig and I thought my belt was thick enough to handle it, NOT...

I find that my gun doesn't hug my body and the gun leans away from my torso. I bought a Galco Leather OWB, it rides high so the barrel doesn't stick out from the bottom of my shirt.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Buying the perfect holster is both time consuming and expensive.

First you get a big box...

Stay armed...enjoy the search...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Kirkpatrick Leather. They have ready to ship holsters on an updated website and the people are awesome to deal with. This TSS for my G30SF is working really well for me right now, so I can calm down and research others, maybe even order, but still be content with what I'm carrying at the present. Actually, Kirkpatrick might be my end to that endeavor!
    - You never need a gun until you need one very badly.

- Running is for people who don't have ammo.

The makers that have long delivery times, have them for a reason. They have lots of customers and lots of demand for their product. So if you order something that's highly recommended and very popular, at least you know that if you don't like it you can probably resell it and get all or most of your money back. Unfortunately, that doesn't put you any closer to finding the right holster. Good luck.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

This is the situation I am presently in. i want to find a good IWB holster for my Glock 19.

Quote Originally Posted by darksithlord View Post
    This is the situation I am presently in. i want to find a good IWB holster for my Glock 19.
    Go to the top of this screen...hit 'Related Links'...
    Search out holsters...find Fist holsters...

Stay armed...try a quality Fist holster...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I got lucky in that I knew someone with a Crossbreed I could try out, and liked it right away.

If you can, check out a local IDPA match. Most shooters would be happy to let you check out their carry rigs.

-JT

Im in the same boat and the more I look the more I wait because I dont want to drop $500 to get one holster.

I predict I will end up going with High Noon because of their return policy but I really want to give Side Guard my business.

Quote Originally Posted by darksithlord View Post
    I think my DeSantis Scorpion IWB holster is the bomb! Then I've seen the Raven holsters and think they might be even better. But I bought Meprolights for my G19 instead at about the same cost. I may have better luck with choosing my holsters simply for the reasons that I do everything in my power to visualize and compare before I buy, and everything within my power to make them work for me, suffer some pain, and engineer things on the fly. I've come really close to moving belt loops on some of my pants, but where there's a will, there's a way. Funny how I'll look at a gun or pistol as an investment, but when I think of holsters over the $120 mark, I really start to question as to why or how. None of my holsters have gone over $110, and my best, all-time favorite, EDC, IWB is a kydex that cost me a whole $35 from a member here and works very well for me with G19 or G27, and next up is my Mitch Rosen Upper Limit Express for the G27 at a full $80. My MTac minotaur I am still working with it for my full size SIG, and I'll make it work sooner or later and wear this next summer. My main drawback is that I don't think my current body type/shape is just right for it so I do have some major R&D ahead of me still. Don't forget that there is a place to go for those holsters that simply won't work for you, and that would be the forum B/S/T first and Holstertrade.com next, and there's always EBay.

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    .......Or does everyone just throw the dice and hope they don't roll snake eyes...?
    Yes & No, - some make "educated guesses".

First, ask yourself a few questions. How do I want to carry with this holster? IWB or OWB? If OWB, do I want extreme high ride for better concealability? What cant do I want for IWB or OWB? What belt size does it need to fit? How am I going to dress? How important are looks or appearance to me? Leather, Kydex or a combo? Clips/fastners/loops/etc? Which color? Holster reputation? What is the maximum time I would wait for a holster? And of course, how much can I afford?

Depending on how many holsters you purchase - you will most likley roll snake eyes every once in awhile. For me the VMII IWB is the most worthless and uncomfortable holster there is - but many will swear to the opposite - so yes, it is a "personal experience".

When you get 4-5 raving for holster A vs 100-200 raving for holster B - your safer bet might be holster B - but see my VMII comment above. You could be in the majority that loves a certain holster, or in the few it just doesn't work for.

Still a small gamble. But here is some comfort - if you were to purchase say a VMII and did not like it - you will have no problem selling it quickly.

It is an expensive journey. I have a huge bag of holsters in my closet. The ones that I use the most are my Milt Sparks VMII, MTAC (when tucking is needed) and my Fist #10 OWB for when I'm wearing tighter pants that won't accomodate IWB.

The VM II is strictly for my Glock 27. The MTAC and Fist will work with my 27, 23 and 19.

Good luck.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links