T-Shirt Holsters

This is a discussion on T-Shirt Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for recommendations on a t-shirt holster for my XD-45 compact. I have seen ads for them in magazines but I am looking ...

Thread: T-Shirt Holsters

T-Shirt Holsters

I am looking for recommendations on a t-shirt holster for my XD-45 compact. I have seen ads for them in magazines but I am looking for first hand wearing experience as to are these any good? and do they fit extra tight to keep the pistol close to the body? I like belly bands but the band bunches in the back and becomes uncomfortable after a hour. I am a large (fat) man and I wear 3x t shirts because I like them loose but I can wear a 2x comfortably and 1x fits but tight, I don't want something that fits so tight that it's irritating to wear.

2. Remove Ads

I wear a 5.11 holster shirt and love it. I carry an XD-40.

Cons: The velcro has to be set good and you can't do jumping jacks or the like with it or the velcro will come undone. When you first get it wash it twice and work up to wearing it for long periods, it feels like the shoulder pads are sewn in with 80# test fishing line and wear on the shoulders. It has to be tight or the gun flops but it's no tighter than an UnderArmor type shirt.

Pros: Concealed is CONCEALED. Most days if I'm wearing it I have to tell my wife because she can't tell. Even after I tell her she can't tell if I'm carrying on the left or the right side. Two pockets, one for gun and one for extra mags.

Try one out. I have a buddy who is a LEO and he wears his everyday.
    Mykel

more later...

This got reviewed here a while back: deep concealment shoulder holster.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I also have 3 of the 5.11 holster shirts. They need to fit tight or you wont like the way your pistol moves around. I havent had any problems with the velcro tabs holding my 3" 1911, the gun stays nice and snug. These shirts are made for "deep" concealment so a fast draw is not likely but its better than not carrying a gun at all. In the summer time, mine gets a little itchy so I wear a muscle shirt under it.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

These look like it would be very difficult to get at your gun unless your cover garment is left open. What is the advantage of one of these?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Administrator
    They pretty much do need to fit quite tight so that the firearm does not pull that gun side down.

If you are most comfortable in loose fitting T-Shirts I can pretty much guarantee that you'll absolutely hate a deep cover concealment undershirt.

You might want to think about wearing a comfortable all cotton T-Shirt with a good high quality shoulder holster and then top that off with a light cotton comfortable button down over shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    They pretty much do need to fit quite tight so that the firearm does not pull that gun side down.

If you are most comfortable in loose fitting T-Shirts I can pretty much guarantee that you'll absolutely hate a deep cover concealment undershirt.

You might want to think about wearing a comfortable all cotton T-Shirt with a good high quality shoulder holster and then top that off with a light cotton comfortable button down over shirt.
    I agree here...
    With either a shoulder holster or an IWB holster, placed between a T-shirt and a cover shirt gives the most comfort and best concealment.

Stay armed...keep it comfortably concealed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

There is a thread on with a good review by fed_wif_sig (hope the grammar police are okay wif dis).

He pulled the following out:
    1ea Sig 229
    2ea Sig 229 magazines
    1ea expandable baton
    1ea Spyderco knife
    1ea Surefire Executive flashlight
    1ea pair of titanium hinged handcuffs
    1ea tube of OC Spray
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    There is a thread on with a good review by fed_wif_sig (hope the grammar police are okay wif dis).

He pulled the following out:
    1ea Sig 229
    2ea Sig 229 magazines
    1ea expandable baton
    1ea Spyderco knife
    1ea Surefire Executive flashlight
    1ea pair of titanium hinged handcuffs
    1ea tube of OC Spray
    I own this UnderCover Comfort holster shirt. It is made out of material similar to that used for support stockings in the hospital.
    It holds my M&P very well, along with 2 mags, a knife, and a flashlight.

It is very tight fitting (helps with those with back issues).

As to drawing, fed_wif_a_sig points out that you use snaps underneath your buttons for the top 3 or 4 buttons. Easy to open, quick to get at your weapon. Very concealed.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; December 12th, 2008 at 10:46 PM. Reason: add a line
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I also own some of the UC Comfort shirts and agree they are very well made and work well.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a source for them any longer. They may not be made any longer although I recall some discussion about a transition to being a supplier instead of a direct retailer so they may be sold under a different name(s). It would be great if someone could clear this up.

I can't tell for sure if this is the same: Undertech UnderCover - Ultimate Compression Concealment Clothing

What you want is something that really provides a lot of support and is pretty snug. Until you try it, you don't realize how difficult it is to secure such a heavy weight in this manner.

As a result, the implementation has to be good in order for this to work well.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by mykeld View Post
    I wear a 5.11 holster shirt and love it. I carry an XD-40.

Cons: The velcro has to be set good and you can't do jumping jacks or the like with it or the velcro will come undone. When you first get it wash it twice and work up to wearing it for long periods, it feels like the shoulder pads are sewn in with 80# test fishing line and wear on the shoulders. It has to be tight or the gun flops but it's no tighter than an UnderArmor type shirt.

Pros: Concealed is CONCEALED. Most days if I'm wearing it I have to tell my wife because she can't tell. Even after I tell her she can't tell if I'm carrying on the left or the right side. Two pockets, one for gun and one for extra mags.

Try one out. I have a buddy who is a LEO and he wears his everyday.
    Strictly Subjective

I'm sure there are some great quality "shirt holsters" out there especially if you look into companies like 5.11, but if you can't manuveur according to the situation it's kind of hard to attest to it's reliabilty under an actual engagement. If you're running or God forbid on the ground wrestling with someone the last thing you need is for your weapon to become un-velcroed and slide down your pants or worse fall out for them to pick up.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Well I'm hoping that I didn't waste my money most of you don't seem to like the undeshirt holsters I ordered one for a long car ride to colorado in a few weeks for work IWB gets a little uncomfortable and hard to draw if needed in a vehicle otherwise I love them was trying to find something for car... any ideas...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Links