Need some help with my MTAC config

This is a discussion on Need some help with my MTAC config within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all-- I just began EDCarrying yesterday and am using a MTAC holster with my G23. Though I realize it's leather and will take a ...

Thread: Need some help with my MTAC config

Hey all-- I just began EDCarrying yesterday and am using a MTAC holster with my G23. Though I realize it's leather and will take a bit of time to conform, I felt whenever sitting down and simply walking around it felt a little uncomfortable. Right now I have the belt clips at an odd configuration (bottom hole in the front, #2 hole from the top in the back) trying out different ones and such for feel, but I wanted to find out what works best for you?

I am likely still overly concerned about being made and would like the holster to fit comfortably (likely at 3:30 or 4) while revealing as little of the firearm as possible. As you may notice I have a CTC laser grip on the gun too, so I can't have it sit too low or the belt might hurt the laser (or something like that, I'm sure).

Any input is appreciated, thanks all!
    Attached Images

I don't think your belt clips are at an odd configuration. Looking at your thumbnail it appears to be set at a cant very similar to what I use with my C-TACS. You've got a good holster there. Revealing your firearm should not be an issue with which you will have much of a problem. Experiment a bit and adjust the cant to suit yourself.

Well, every holster is somewhat uncomfortable. What I mean is you will notice it and it will be a bother. After wearing it for a length of time over the course of a week or more, the holster will start to feel like it belongs there until you just forget about it altogether.

It has been said that a gun should be comforting, not exactly comfortable.

That remains true even with the most comfortable holsters. You'll always feel like there's a bump there on your side. What you have setup seems fine, there's no wrong way to carry. You simply need to carry more.

Oh and about "being made" it won't happen. If you can look in the mirror and don't see the gun against your shirt nobody else will either. Yeah you know it's there and will probably think people are staring, but they aren't. That's one thing I've learned over time, people don't look, don't care, and generally don't notice anything. The more you wear your holster, the more comfortable you will become with it and wearing it around people. You'll always notice it, but it will not feel wrong. After a while you feel like it belongs and not having it feels awkward because you will be used to carrying your gun and will probably be more nervous without it than with it. That's how I am anyhow.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Your left clip closest to pistol butt is the same as mine. I'm up one from the bottom on the right clip. Wearing the rig at 3:30 its very comfortable with a Beltman belt. Give it 4-6 weeks to mold to your hip.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I wear my MTac with a large XD45 Service 4" model stuck in it. Iwear it everyday now, usually all day long.

I have even come home and did yard work and other things with it on my side.

It took me a good two months or maybe more to get it broke in (soft and molded to my hip shape) and a few more weeks after that to get totally accustomed to it being on my side. It takes a while. It doesnt happen overnight. Play around with positioning until you get the best position then wear it that way EVERYDAY.

My daily setup for comfort is now:
    - wear an t-shirt/undershirt tucked into your underwear waist band
    - wear slightly larger/loose fitting pants
    - wear a good sturdy GUNBELT
    - gun positioned at 3:30 with maximum forward cant
    - overshirt or jacket to for cover

My only other carry method is the same as above except I dont tuck my holster into my waistband. I leave it outside the waistband and just skip a belt loop behind the holster and bring the belt over the outside of the holster instead of behind the holster as usual. Drape a long shirt or jacket over for concealment. This is slightly more comfortable because it gets the holster away from my skin completely, but is slightly less concealable.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Just keep wearing it and it will get better, you will get use to it.

Carrying a firearm concealed only gets so comfortable.

This is why most people slowly make there way to pocket carrying a small, light weight .380/.32 or J frame.

It's either that or they stop carrying all together.

I wear mine at 3:30 using the second hole from the bottom on each side. I think that you will have to work and find what works best for you as everybody is a little different. When I first started carrying, I remember it being uncomfortable as well. Now, I don't even notice it. There are some things that I changed that worked well for me. First, I always wear a tight undershirt (beater). I bought pants a little loose to allow some extra room. But what made the most difference for me was loosening my belt a little. I guess I was really afraid of the gun printing or my pants dropping or something because I really cinched up my belt (Wilderness Tactical). I read on one of the forums to loosen the belt some, and it worked. It doesn't feel like it is digging into my side anymore. Much more comfortable now.
    With guns, we are 'citizens'.
    Without them, we are 'subjects'.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmdlm View Post
    That sir, is a thing of beauty!!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I carry a full size XD40 in my MTAC. Looking at the holster while sitting in front of me, I have it set using the 2nd hole from the belt clip on the left, and the third hole from the clip on the right. This gives it just enough cant to hide both the butt of the grip and the top of the slide on me, wearing it at 3:30-4:00. Also, this places the top of the kydex just above the top edge of my pants and belt, making reholstering very easy if I need to remove the weapon for some reason (a posted store or something...).

My leather broke in after about a week or so of constant carrying.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by jlmdlm View Post
    I wear mine at 3:30 using the second hole from the bottom on each side. I think that you will have to work and find what works best for you as everybody is a little different. When I first started carrying, I remember it being uncomfortable as well. Now, I don't even notice it. There are some things that I changed that worked well for me. First, I always wear a tight undershirt (beater). I bought pants a little loose to allow some extra room. But what made the most difference for me was loosening my belt a little. I guess I was really afraid of the gun printing or my pants dropping or something because I really cinched up my belt (Wilderness Tactical). I read on one of the forums to loosen the belt some, and it worked. It doesn't feel like it is digging into my side anymore. Much more comfortable now.
    I have the exact setup. XD45 Tact, MTAC, love it.
    Keep your powder dry

Sponsored Links