Measuring Cant?

This is a discussion on Measuring Cant? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was wondering if there was some kind of way to measure the cant of my holster? It's adjustable for cant (a Mason-Dixon from ...

Thread: Measuring Cant?

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar

Measuring Cant?

So I was wondering if there was some kind of way to measure the cant of my holster? It's adjustable for cant (a Mason-Dixon from Bluegrass holsters, great holster!) and I just wanted to know what my cant is in case I order a fixed cant holster in the future, then I'd know what I want in it...

Here's a pic in case some holster guru on here can tell just by looking at it...

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I'm thinking 15 degrees.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Here's 15 degrees for comparison.

Foward Cant

Looks awfully close to 15 degrees ("FBI" or standard cant). Your's looks to be (perhaps) a little bit more - but certainly no less.

Lead Moderator
    Appears 15 degrees.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Go to Matt Del Fatti's website, he shows exactly how to do it with either a piece of paper or a protractor.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    15 degrees is the "FBI Cant".

It looks like somewhere in the 15 to 18 degree area.

BTW as far as I've been able to determine, the so call FBI rake or cant only refers to the muzzle of the handgun being angled to the rear. It's an old term that, as far as I can tell, refers to the muzzle rear raked holsters the FBI agent were wearing when most others were effectually straight drop holsters. I don't believe the FBI actually spec'd a particular degree of rake to coin he phrase. If they had, it would have been more like 30 or more degrees judging from the holsters of the time.

Although I'm not sure how old the term is, I know it dates back to before my start in LE. Gaylords holsters especially for wheel guns were very heavily raked. I have a sample hear that measures just over 40 degrees of muzzle rear rake. The USSS recent issue holsters actually measured 32 degrees of muzzle rear rake.

The first I heard someone attach 15 degrees to "the FBI rake or cant" was a gun writer. I don't remember who but I remember reading it at the time (a few years ago) and wondered where the hell he came up with that.

In any event, 15 degrees of muzzle rear rake seems to be a pretty good compromise rake that works for a lot of folks who carry in the 3:15 - 4:00 area.

hold a protractor to your side, count degrees from same place on gun when it would be straight up and down at 90

Get more than about 20 and my wrist won't bend down enough to get a very fast grip, I've found.

- OS

Blade-Tech refers to my UCH as straight or FBI Cant. Mine is approximately 30 degrees. With the belt loop at 6:00 the grip is at 5:00'ish.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Links