Defensive Carry banner

Need Help: HBE vs. DM Bullard for J Frame

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Sportsterguy 
#1 ·
I've been carrying my J-frames almost exclusively for the past few months and I need y'alls opinions to help me choose between two different holsters. I'm trying to decide between a DM Bullard Dual Carry with Snap Loops or a HBE COM III with Snap Loops. This will be for my J-frames. I am trying to find a holster with a small profile to fit IWB without any unnecessary bulk. It looks like these two are fairly similar but it appears the HBE COM III may be slightly smaller because the loops are placed closer to the body of the gun and not mounted on the leather wings like the Bullard Dual Carry.

A little about me. I'm 6'4" 235. I'm cursed with "no-butt" syndrome and I always have to find small and thin iwb holsters to minimize an abnormal bulge in my waistband at 4:30-ish. Upon seeing the pictures below at the holster makers website it appears that the COM III is the way to go because the bullard appears wider.

BUT! I'm looking for people who have actually worn these holsters to give me advice on both fit and quality. The price difference between the two (HBE $109 shipped and Bullard $90+ Tax and Shipping) is negligible.

From the maker's website:

HBE:

Note: Mine would be finished in Black Cherry not Shark

D.M. Bullard:

See less See more
#4 ·
I have his TL PRO thin line IWB for my Kimber. It is so thin you will not notice it. He uses a talon clip. The best.

#15 · (Edited)
+2. Have had the Pro TL for my 36 and can tell you it is the BEST holster I have used for it out of the 3 previous name brands. Excellent quality, conceals great, easy on & off and is very comfortable. I'd save the COM III for my larger CCW's. Can't go wrong with an HBE IMO!!!

Guess I should have read the entire thread. Guarantee you'll be Very Happy with the COM III. Best IWB out there fro this guy.

#5 ·
ive got a bullard for my xd9sc. I wear mine OWB and IWB. Looking at the top view of the bullard, the 2 sides are symetrical, with the sides in the center. Im not sure what the rear of the black holster looks like. What im trying to say is only the high spots (cylinder) is what is going to rub against your back. As opposed to say a crossbreed, where the rear is one flat piece, that doesnt have high spots rubbing yout back. If you look at the front of the bullard. Thats exactly what the rear is going to look like. The one I have for the XD can become uncomfortable because the slide lever and take down pin lever get irritating after awhile. If you go with bullard, you may want to add the option for some sort of soft material he adds to the back side. I prefer steel clips, but bullard offers kydex and leather loops seperately. The bullard also has cant adjustment. Ive been wearing mine OWB during winter. Sorry, didnt mean to write a book. Take a look at Sidegaurd Holsters. Erik makes top notch stuff for a fair price. dont know if this helps....... later

#6 ·
ive got a bullard for my xd9sc.... The one I have for the XD can become uncomfortable because the slide lever and take down pin lever get irritating after awhile. ...
I have the Dual Carry for XD SC also (avatar).
I have had no irritation from the back side, though.

However, since I don't wear an undershirt, the back side got quite "slick" with sweat this summer on walks ... so I put moleskin over the entire back surface. Helps with sweat some and maybe another reason I don't ever feel slide level/take down pin.

I also changed out the metal belt clips (which were fine) with Comp-Tac ones for various reasons.

I also have Dual Carry for Ruger SP101 revolver, and yes, the back is boned (sculpted) to the gun just like the front.

- OS

#8 ·
Moleskin Plus, it's a Dr. Scholls product, get at most any big drugstore chain. Comes in 4x3 " sheets, rolls available online but I've never seen those in stores. Just cut to shape, adhesive back. Will usually be in foot care area with corn remedies and whatnot.

Once it gets too "funky" for ya, just peel off and put new on.
I've had same batch on since late August it's still okay.

I covered entire back of holster, every sq inch, or you can just stick some onto specific problem area.
- OS

edit: CVS, if you have that chain, has their own generic MoleSkin...cheaper...probably most big chains do.

#9 ·
Thanks for the info. I will try it. Also, since I already have chronic low back nerve pain, it doesnt take much to irritate it and make my back hurt worse. So, im probably not the best subject to be giving a comfort review. Looks like the moleskin is a must for me. Yall be safe...

#10 ·
Texan,

I have two HBE's but not for a J frame. I really like his work but I have no experience with Bullards line. I have an old DC special for my p230 and a Com 3 for my 229. Nice to see someone else from West Tx here.

Good luck

#11 ·
Thanks guys, I think I'm leaning towards the HBE because the spacing of the loops. I emailed Eric and he said his lead time is only 3 to 4 weeks at this time so I'll probably be placing an order soon.

#12 ·
I placed my order for a COM III tonight from Eric at HBE!!! He said two to three weeks and it asked me about every little detail about the holster to make sure it would be exactly what I want! Eric is a good guy for sure!

Hopefully by mid-January I'll have it in hand! My J-Frames are dying for some new leather...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.