A concern about Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster

This is a discussion on A concern about Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own 2 serpa holsters . 1 for my HK USP and 1 for my SA 1911. No problems with either in the 2-3 years ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A concern about Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster

Lead Moderator
    I own 2 serpa holsters . 1 for my HK USP and 1 for my SA 1911. No problems with either in the 2-3 years I have owned them.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    I wouldn't be so much concerned with ripping the paddle off as making sure your indexing finger doesn't slip into the trigger guard as you depress the locking mechanism and draw the weapon. I recall this being an issue but can't recall at the moment where I read that.....
    Suarez won't allow them in their training courses. Cites various AD's and actual self-shootings during CQC drills.

- OS

Quote Originally Posted by OhShoot View Post
    Suarez won't allow them in their training courses. Cites various AD's and actual self-shootings during CQC drills.

- OS
    They refer to 5 situations at other schools.

Student Policies - FAQ

Make of that what you will.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    They refer to 5 situations at other schools....
    Correct. Which is why they don't allow them in their own.

- OS

Not having used the L2 Serpas before I cant say this wouldnt be a problem , but the L1 retention system is great and doesnt involve using any trigger finger pressure to release the weapon.

I would say people shooting themseleves would be through lack of practice and care rather than a design flaw in Blackhawks products.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

Quote Originally Posted by heylin View Post
    Not having used the L2 Serpas before I cant say this wouldnt be a problem , but the L1 retention system is great and doesnt involve using any trigger finger pressure to release the weapon.

I would say people shooting themseleves would be through lack of practice and care rather than a design flaw in Blackhawks products.
    FWIW:

"We do not allow the BlackHawk CQC SERPA Holster - Active Retention design because it requires the trigger finger to be doing something other than indexing along the frame of the pistol during the draw stroke.

Simply put...the Serpa is a poorly designed but brilliantly marketed holster that causes a user to press in with the finger tip as they draw their pistol. In many cases it ends up with the trigger finger right on the trigger (and pressing inward) prematurely. In other words...long before it would be safe to do so. I am aware of five situations at other schools where this has caused an AD on the range. Twice where it led so a self-inflicted gunshot. And these guys were either highly experienced shooters of seasoned operators. Twice I have personally seen in it force on force. If I allow a holster like that in class, having seen the problems and knowing the problems, and a student shoots themselves...it really would be my fault. As I understand it several other schools disallow these holsters."

Should read "or seasoned operators."

Couple of long threads also on warriortalk.com re this also, Gabe Suarez's forum.

- OS

Glad I didnt go for the active retention system then :) I believe from one of Todd Jarrets videos the draw time savings between L2 serpa and Thumb break were about 1 second.

I think id rather add 1 second to my draw time than risk an AD.

Still Blackhawk do do still make some good stuff at good prices.
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    If I'm taking a class, I wouldn't want to be next to the guy who has the new, spiffy holster with documented shortcomings.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    He also states in another thread about how Blackhawk re-engineered the holster for larger screw heads and thicker material.

There is nothing wrong with the holster...it is not unsafe. It is a piece of equipment you need to train with.

In fact, I have my M9 sitting in a BH SERPA drop holster right now...and have another one to mount on my IOTV should I exercise that option.

For that matter, anyone who had an ND with a SERPA holster will have an ND with any other holster. If your booger hook is on the bang switch...you are wrong.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I love mine and use it as my standard house/working in the yard holster.

I also changed out the paddles for the belt-loop option.

I can't see this thing going anywhere.

If you depress your finger into the trigger guard on draw you're doing something very very wrong - I've never had a problem
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by boda65 View Post
    Hi all,
    I have become very interested in the Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster as an inexpensive range holster for my 70 series govt until I can get a Milt Sparks. My concern is a video on youtube entitled "Why you don't use a kydex paddle holster". It is frightening how easy this holster appears to have been broken from the mounting platform. Is it really this weak, or is this a set up video? Granted, for range use it really wouldn't much matter, but I would certainly not carry with this holster if it is separated that easy. Your thoughts or experience??
    Jim
    I have seen the video you refer to and it is in fact as JD said, an early Fobus model in the video. The SERPA would not do that.

I will relate something I have seen with my own eyes and something I have related here before.
    When I was going through my carry permit class. In the class the instructor was talking about diferent holsters and one was the SERPA. He had a man in the class holster a "Blue Gun" Glock in a SERPA that was configured in the paddle mode.
    The instructor, from behind the guy, grabbed the blue gun grip and pulled up, lifting him off his feet by the grip of the blue gun. The holster did not give, the blue gun stayed in the holster, and the holster did not break even after doing this 3 times.

I wear my G23 in a SERPA every day. It is my EDC holster and the only holster I will open carry in, which I do the majority of the time in the summer months. The SERPA may not be an expensive holster, but it is far from being "just a range holster". It is a very well designed piece of firearm retention gear.

I highly recommend the SERPA for anyone who wants a level II security holster for carry. And as for anyone having an AD/ND with a SERPA...they were drawing incorrectly. If you draw your gun with your finger on the trigger with any holster you will have an ND eventually. The SERPA is not poorly designed at all. The operators, experienced or not, were doing something incorrect when they had their ND's.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

+1 to Tn_Mike. I have a Serpa for my issued G21 and I have had only one problem, that the paddle cracked from removal and I have to use the belt loop platform now. When drawing, my trigger finger ends up indexed perfectly after releasing the holster lock. If I could get a Serpa for my off-duty weapons, I would get them in a heartbeat. OMO.
    cr[/LIST]
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links