A concern about Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster

This is a discussion on A concern about Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I have become very interested in the Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster as an inexpensive range holster for my 70 series govt until I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A concern about Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster

A concern about Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster

Hi all,
    I have become very interested in the Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster as an inexpensive range holster for my 70 series govt until I can get a Milt Sparks. My concern is a video on youtube entitled "Why you don't use a kydex paddle holster". It is frightening how easy this holster appears to have been broken from the mounting platform. Is it really this weak, or is this a set up video? Granted, for range use it really wouldn't much matter, but I would certainly not carry with this holster if it is separated that easy. Your thoughts or experience??
    Jim

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I think I'm familiar with the video you're talking about, IIRC they were using an earlier Fobus holster, those aren't exactly known for their ruggedness.

From all accounts, the Serpa holsters are almost impossible to break, as are "quality" Kydex or polymer based holsters.

I wouldn't be so much concerned with ripping the paddle off as making sure your indexing finger doesn't slip into the trigger guard as you depress the locking mechanism and draw the weapon. I recall this being an issue but can't recall at the moment where I read that.....
    HK45c V1

Correct^. The SERPA isn't "frangible," but it has issues with the release functioning with grit/gunk, and the aforementioned indexing question.

HK45c V1

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Do you want a holster so different (I could see why). If not, the Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 is usually available in stock at Brownells for a Government model.

If you really do want something so different, I'd suggest having a look at Safariland. I think their line is preferred by LEO's over the Blackhawk by many.

The video you describe does sound like the Fobus video, of no correlation to the Blackhawk at all.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

DC Founder
    I have been carrying one of my new guns in the BlackHawk Serpa for a couple of months now and have had no problems with it at all. It is smooth and stable in un-holstering and holstering. Once you familiarize yourself with the function of it I don't believe many people will have a problem with it. It would take a small finger to cause the problems in the linked post. And, gravel never gets the opportunity to enter my holsters.

That said, I really do like custom leather holsters much better, but have not been able to get one for the gun I am carrying right now. Once that happens I will continue to use the Serpa for range trips or wet weather.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Back when I was on the job my duty holster was a Safariland Level II Raptor holster. VERY rugged and never had any issues with it. I HIGHLY recommend Safariland products.

VIP Member
    They make a version of the Serpa that doesn't have the locking mechanism and relies on tension to keep the gun holstered. I have been using this version on my duty rig for about 6 weeks now with no issues (though I did have to cut away some of the plastic from the MOLLE mounting bracket - which you won't need - to allow a full grip when drawing from my MOLLE belt). This may work well for your purposes as a range holster.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I opened this thread because it was titled on the descriptor, "A concern about Blackhawk........

The only Black Hawks I'm concerned about are rotary wing aircraft.

Seriously, the video you are referring to is with an older Fobus model, as has already been stated. Gabe Suarez won't allow a Black Hawk Holster with the retention thingie in his classes, I believe. I may be wrong, but IIRC that's what he wrote. The reason for that is because it's too easy to fumble the draw in a force on force scenario. I don't know if I agree with him, but it's his class.

I do like the retention aspect of the Black Hawk Holster for open carry. For concealed carry I much prefer no retention devices.

Biker

Good holster...sorry a** paddle.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I have the non-SERPA version, too, for my SIGs. That is my IDPA holster so it gets a lot of drawing and reholstering done on it, with nary a sign of weakening the paddle after well over a year of use. Besides, it actually ships with both the belt loop and the paddle backing, so you can attach either one as you see fit.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I've never been able to figure out how someone would have an indexing issue with the Serpa. It works flawlessly for me.

It's also very rugged and durable. The Fobus video isn't something I'd worry about with it.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I use a Blackhawk CQC L1 holster for my 1911, no problems, also comes with a belt attachment so you dont need to use the paddle. For $26US its a bargin. Great for range carry and production class rig.

The L1 uses trigger gaurd retention only (no locking) so makes for pretty fast draws and easy re-holster.

Checkout You Tube videos with Todd Jarrett, he is an avid user of Blackhawk gear for competition use. Todd Jarrett is an awesome shooter.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

I use the Serpa for my Glock 26 and I haven't had any problems at all. Remember that you can have a problem when holstering any weapon into any holster, so pay attention to what you are doing and you should be fine.

I actually like it a lot. Great for range use and I use it during cooler weather w/ a jacket. It's not excellent for concealment though. Sticks out a bit more than I want for the best concealment.

This thing is built tough! I wouldn't want someone to try and rip it off my belt, as I think I would get hurt pretty badly and the holster would still be on my belt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links