Thinking about carrying

This is a discussion on Thinking about carrying within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Merged this with other thread, which begins below, to include Bud's response....

Thread: Thinking about carrying

Thinking about carrying

Merged this with other thread, which begins below, to include Bud's response.
    Last edited by P95Carry; January 16th, 2006 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Thread merge

2. Remove Ads

Thinking about carrying

I picked up my ruger P345 a few months ago, my 1st hand gun. I have been debating a CCW permit and carrying the p345. I have shot ~600 rds through it, I am a decent shot with it. (nothing more range time can't cure) I am just not sure if this gun is the right size for me to carry.(physcially the right size)

Today I purchased an uncle mike's inside-the-pant holester to wear around the house to try and get use to it. Also to see if the weight/size might be an issue. I see now why everyone reccomends a GOOD thick belt. My belt is a little weak for this gun.

Anywho, here are some pics, don't mind 1 of my "alarms" in the pic, she is so needy..lol..

If you have any input on the gun postion or anything at all, I welcome all input.

Thanks

Looks like you can conceal it pretty well really depends on you ..

I carry in no order at various time or have carried a Glock 17, 1911 full size,Hk And Ruger P-90 IWB. Right now im Carry a G-20 IWB ..

I've also Carried the G-17/20 OWB along with Hk

You need a good Belt and i prefer Leather holsters the Nylons just never pleased me Personally.

All what you feel comfortable with.

I carried the 1911 5" in shorts and tshirt all summer.

From the looks of the pics you send you should have little or no trouble carrying the P345 concealed. Advice! Get a quality gun belt and a quality holster and it will become even easier.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Assistant Administrator
    Indeed - upgrade belt for one - and holster for other. This present set-up may well suffice short term but good carry gear is not negotiable!

Out of interest - and depending on your concealment options - have you even tried OWB yet? You look well slim and that could well provide you with another option which IMO could be more comfortable. I am tho a self-confessed IWB hater!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

That hides pretty well on you even in that cheap holster.

I'm telling ya, get a permit, and get yourself a better holster and belt and you won't regret it at all.

Not trying to change the subject but...Damn! What a beautiful Dobie. You just have to love a good Doberman.
    You better pray I dont jam, because my backup is a ball peen hammer.

Lead Moderator
    a better holster , be it nylon, leather or kydex will help alot in comfort of daily carry.

Look's like you are ready to go with being able to conceal it.

I would agree that a gun belt and a better holster would be the thing you want to do.

Trust us on the belt, there is a night and day differance between a J.C. Penny's belt and one like I just bought. See it here,
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=6386 There are many belt's from great makers to choose from, this is just one example.

A very good holster from one of the top makers is the next thing I would get if I were you, but use your Uncle Mikes until then. There are many holster makers on this forum that are exceptional in what they do.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Howdy!

Welcome aboard! I'll echo what's already been said - buy GOOD carry gear. Most shooters end up with a "holster graveyard" - a box of stuff that ends up shoved back in a closet or under a bed that contains hundreds of dollars worth of stuff that didn't work for you. It will actually be cheaper to buy good gear first, AND you'll actually have something that you can safely stake your life on.

Don't underestimate the need for a good gunbelt - it will have a LOT to do with how well your holster functions.

I'd also recommend going to a shooting school - not your local gunshop commando, but a world renowned instructor. You'll spend a few hundred bucks that may seem like a fortune at first, but if you are like most folks, five minutes into it you'll realize how false your sense of security had been.
    In many areas you can learn as you go and figure it out along the way. Not so here. A lethal force engagement will be over in seconds (or less) and your first mistake can well be your last. I cannot over emphasize this point. It is the SINGLE most important factor in staying alive. If you need any referrals, or any information regarding holster selection, please feel free to give me a call. (423) 733-1779. Good luck!

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I normally have jeans fit about like that. I have found that a size about 1 size (2") bigger than your waist is best. If your pants sag even that much, you're gun will eventually drag your pants down and you'll look kinda funny. I tend to keep the beltline about the pelvis bones. You'll also find that the tighter the better on the belt.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Yeah the belt and holester will be upgraded, this was a ~$12 holester to get an idea about weight.

P95- no I have not looked at OWB. I try and keep my girlish figure..lol.. I'll look at OWB, I just went looking today, not much info on holesters which was amazing to me. I swore someone would try and sell me something crazy. I have been looking here though

Cleaning- Thank you. yes I love her... she is a little hyper and VERY friendly. She does what I wanted though. Nice loud deep bark and imtimidating if you happen to see her looking at you through a window.. I just need her and my mutt to let me know someone is on the property and I'll take care of the rest.

Gary- I have found exactly what your saying. There is a thread in the F/S section for holesters..lol This was just for me to get use to the idea of the gun on me. I have had some weapons training, being a marine, I got the basic stuff. I wish I would have had pistol training, but I am in the process of doing that in the coming months. It'll be the locals here for now. I need to know how I am going to handle carrying before I do carry. I have spent the last few days reading here and I know things are very situational. I am trying to "judge" myself the best and honest I can. I have figured out that it takes courage (and some luck) NOT to draw and point your weapon. I can't fling myself into the world with a gun on my hip and not know how I wil react to most situations. I also think I am not "aware" of my surroundings enough and that I will be tracking my progress on that. I am not rambo, but the downside is I would like to think I could not let an innocent person get hurt or killed. Once again, situaitional I know. Like the thread about the guy in the bike shop, IMO he did the perfect thing. I would hope I would have done something similar.

Sorry for the long winded reply, would you like cliff's?

And the thought of some hardcore training sounds very fun and informative.... Sweat more in training, bleed less in war.

Jarhead- Semper Fi.... I'm still young, so my pants are a little big, turns out perfect for carrying.

Thanks for the replies, I am reading and comprehending BTW. Quality now makes for comfort and reliability later.

Hola, Kirk!

Administrator

Ditto

Ditto on the fact that your belt just does not look stiff enough.

Also Ditto on the fact that your Uncle Mike is not the very best Uncle in the world to have with you for serious defensive carry.

Me saying that is probably going to lose me a few forum friends but, I just do not like Uncle Mike's holsters at all.
    I guess I can withstand a little heat for voicing my personal opinion on Unc Mike holsters.

Every one of our holster making Uncle's on this forum will serve your needs much better.

So if you are carrying temporarily in that Uncle Mike's holster to evaluate the size, location, & weight of that particular firearm for daily carry then that (for sure) is cool.

I continue to remain totally unimpressed with the Uncle Mike's line of holsters.
    And yes, I have seen them & I have also tried them...though admittedly not recently.
    After seeing some of the older U M's Holsters.
    I honestly have absolutely no desire to see any newer holster versions in their product line.

Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg
    Hola, Kirk!

wassup.. thanks for the link..great info here

QKS- that's what america is about right? Different opinions, I mean. If everyone were the same it'd be very boring.

And then we might only have 1 choice for a holester and GUN!!!!!

Links