Overall carry

Overall carry

This is a discussion on Overall carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, here is an odd question I have, and I hope I'm putting it in the right section. I wear overalls a goodly percentage of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overall carry

Overall carry

Okay, here is an odd question I have, and I hope I'm putting it in the right section. I wear overalls a goodly percentage of the time and have a carry permit. I know some guys carry while wearing overalls, but I am curious as to how they do it.

Do they carry it in their pocket?

Wear a belt and holster underneath (or over) their overalls?

Make a special pocket that is inside their overalls?

I alternate between carrying a PA-63, which I fit into a small pouch I made and button into the bib of my overalls; a full size 1911, and a pre-war Smith and Wesson M & P with a 5" bbl., neither of which I can carry currently (but would like to) with my overalls.

I don't really care for the pouch rig I have because it is slow to access; not a big fan of pocket carry; not sure how I would like Thunderwear or similar with a full size 1911 or 5" bbl. revolver...any other ideas or products I may be missing here.

Well...I have a pair of carhardt ones I wear for work around the house. I just drop the J frame in a pocket and go. I guess you could go OWB. I think it would be quite hard to pull off. And thunderwear or smartcarry, would be very hard to get down too. Just my humble opinion.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Carrying in coveralls would be tough if you can't pocket carry... anything concealed will be hard to get to - and anything else is OC (I have no idea if it's legal in TN, or if you'd want to...) To keep from having to unzip as far... maybe a shoulder holster under the coveralls?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    Carrying in coveralls would be tough if you can't pocket carry... anything concealed will be hard to get to - and anything else is OC (I have no idea if it's legal in TN, or if you'd want to...) To keep from having to unzip as far... maybe a shoulder holster under the coveralls?
    Coveralls have sleeves and zippers. OVERALLS have tons of buttons and pockets. And the only sleeves are if you choose to wear a shirt with any under them. Around here, it's high fashion to wear your bibs with no shirt, then put on an unbuttoned Aloha shirt over them.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    He did say overalls, didn't he? The whole time I was thinking coveralls... My bad.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    If you wear the bibs on the loose side, drawing from a Smart Carry should be doable (but a bit slow). You could rotate it off to one side. Other than that, shoulder and ankle holsters are all I'm coming up with. Of course lots of people end up having to make wardrobe adjustments to carry too. Dressing around the gun is a popular (or NOT so popular) phrase.
    Last edited by T Bone; December 19th, 2008 at 08:03 PM.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

My Father-in-law

Carries a derringer in the "ruler" pocket on his right leg. But anything larger goes into a pocket. Where are you carrying? If you are on private property could you wear a leg holster, you wouldn't be concealed but on your property or with the ownere permission you are still good!

Searn

I think a 1911 OWB under the bibs would/could/make it work.
    - You never need a gun until you need one very badly.

- Running is for people who don't have ammo.

Thanks for the responses. Perhaps I should clarify a bit. I do indeed mean bib overalls...I live in the south and these are still culturally quite normal to wear. Specifically I live in Tennessee, so I can carry concealed or openly...I'm just looking at the concealed angle with this.

What I have done is made a small, heavy cloth pouch with an elasicised top which buttons into the bib of my overalls to carry my PA-63. While it works and doesn't print, it is a little clumsy to get at since the entire pistol is enclosed in the pouch. It also has the advantage that I can take it out and use it in other overalls, or for laundering. I have an average build, not much of a gut to work around, but not a stringbean either. For those of you have never worn overalls, sliding or holding your hands inside the bib is not that unnatural nor unusual (note I said inside the bib, not inside the fly area!), and is a natural place to conceal a pistol for quick access.

I've been thinking about rigging some sort of loops, tabs, or something that I could attach a simple leather IWB holster to to hold the pistol at somewhat of a crossdraw angle where I could grasp the grip of it and draw per normal, but I've come up short on solid ideas. If I could rig such an arrangement, wherin the holster could be removed for laundering, or to change pistols; then I could also carry either my 1911 or my .38 as my taste suits. Just thought I would wing it out there and see what other guys have tried.

Smartcarry around your neck?

Perhaps sew a pocket on the inside of the 'bib'?

For the complete effect, knock out a front tooth, chew on a piece of straw, get a dirty ballcap, and start an affair with your sister...you should be good to go......gotta' love TN...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think Andy Arratoonian's TJM worn under your overalls might be a solution for you. Gun Holster, Deep Concealment Holster, Covert Gunleather for Guns and Handguns

when i am at the farm i wear them. i carry a p3at in my back pocket.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I use a smart carry. My bibs are nice and loose- comfy. I can get to it easy enough. I've never been "made" with it like this.

Hell- when I was a kid, I didn't know anyone other than kids that used the side buttons. But we where just a bunch of Oklahoma rednecks- (thank God).

If I'm not at work you'll find me most of the time in bibs. My gut would make most anything print if hidden in an extra pocket behind the bib. Just my .02

ash

I would think something like this would work as is or could be modified to fit your needs...

SURVIVAL SHEATH SYSTEMS : Kydex Shoulder and Chest Holsters
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links