I swear-it sucks being lefty - Page 3

I swear-it sucks being lefty

This is a discussion on I swear-it sucks being lefty within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah, maybe I was a bit dramatic about it. I know it shouldn't matter about the 1911s being righty and all. But here's the thing. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I swear-it sucks being lefty

Yeah, maybe I was a bit dramatic about it. I know it shouldn't matter about the 1911s being righty and all. But here's the thing. I have adapted. I shoot target archery. I learned with a righty bow, and got good enough to start placing in the tournaments. Then I learned about eye dominance, and went to lefty. My scores shot up and groups tightened. Problem was with the gear I needed. A lefty bow, not so difficult provided I was willing to wait the month for the special order. The same with my sight, quiver, rest etc. I ran into the same crap when I bought my pump action and my bolt action guns. It was funny when the guy at the gun store said "hey the bolt's on the wrong side".
    I never thought about the sell-ability of left handed stuff.
    I actually bought a left handed circular saw, thinking it would be better-it wasn't. I don't think I'll go the laser route till I get better with sights. I do shoot thumbs high, and that's why I dont think the CT would work for me. So no violins needed, I just felt like venting. I am really pleased by all the other lefties on the board, and the kind, non-flaming responses. This board is class all the way.
    Last edited by southpaw66; December 22nd, 2008 at 09:18 AM. Reason: spelling, content, syntax, intellect, punctuation

I'm a lefty, but never having had a "left handed" weapon of any kind, I jsut kind of grew up able to be comfortable with the righty controls. I do think being left handed helped me develop the ability to be comfortable shooting pistols with either hand almost equally though (I still prefer left). I don't think I'd be able to shoot a left handed pistol if I had one. It would feel awkward.
    Good luck!
    Sarge
    Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

Lead Moderator
    On the plus side, since I carry and deploy my knife RH'ed , most knife clips carry ready.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Never an issue for me being left handed. I am actually ambidextrous, left eye dominant. I can do most things with either hand.
    I was left handed young, parents "changed" me to right handed. May have been a blessing, who knows. All I know is the universe continues to exist..so what the heck.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    FWIW, Charter makes a lefty revolver.

My wife has the righty version of it, and I've shot it, and it's a good gun.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I too am a true lefty, I trained and practice to shoot right handed. I primarly carry left handed, but if ever I injured, I will be able to defend myself with either hand. In the end, it's actually a blessing tobe left handed.

I too am a lefty. It boggles the mind that the manufacturers ignore 1 in 8 potential customers.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I am left eye dominant but was trained RH as a kid. I actually find it advantageous as weird as that sounds. I study American Kenpo and can defend myself with my right (dominant from training) hand while I draw with my (dominant by nature) hand. I am not ambidextrous.

I also agree with another post that if someone IS looking for a firearm they will look on the right side. So being lefty is a help from that perspective as well.

On the other hand, finding holsters stinks. Life is give and take, isn't it?:)

I'm left handed, when I became a LEO in 1976 I discovered the problems with finding left handed gun leather. Having no internet in those days compounded the problem of finding leather. We southpaws learn to overcome and adapt. I started to build my own left handed gun leather and all of my current holster designs start their lives as left handed holsters, then are re-designed for right handers as needed.
    Randy

I always feel as if I have an advantage being a southpaw. Most lefties are markedly better using their off hand. If only by being forced to do things righty, we get more practice. Plus, when carrying something, I always use my right hand, leaving my free hand to draw from my strong side, without looking out of place. OK that sounds crazy when I type it out, but somehow I do actually take comfort in it when walking out of Wal-Mart.

Also any body know what "Laevus Levus" means?
    Glock 26/19/17
    Catchy sig line under construction.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laevus Levus View Post
    I always feel as if I have an advantage being a southpaw. Most lefties are markedly better using their off hand. If only by being forced to do things righty, we get more practice. Plus, when carrying something, I always use my right hand, leaving my free hand to draw from my strong side, without looking out of place. OK that sounds crazy when I type it out, but somehow I do actually take comfort in it when walking out of Wal-Mart.
    I always try to keep my left hand free when walking out to my car...
    Quote Originally Posted by Laevus Levus View Post
    Also any body know what "Laevus Levus" means?
    From a quick search.....
    Laevus Levus - Latin To English Dictionary

Laevus Levus - Latin To English Dictionary. laevus levus foolish, silly, unlucky , unpropitious laevus levus the left hand, left side, left-handed ...

Latin To English Dictionary - 7,402 references... - 16k - Similar pages
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I learned alot of things righty too. I remember the nuns used to try to make me write right-handed in school. I can shoot my pistol right handed, and with more practice, I could get comfortable with it. I got a new holster for Christmas-a Blackhawk Serpa. Wifey had to go to Blackhawk's site for it, and she got soaked because it is a lefty item.
    I also make sure to keep my left hand free when I leave a store-especially Wallymart. That place has some of the scariest looking individuals at night

Lead Moderator
    Her is my tribute to the left handed. Stag Arms M4 AR, HK USP w/ LH safety, Browning A bolt , SERPA holsters, and a G&G IWB.
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw66 View Post
    I remember the nuns used to try to make me write right-handed in school.
    Ah, the famous wood ruler with the brass straight edge on it, I'm still terrified of nuns.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Well done T-Bone, I found it the same way when Iwas looking for a username. I found it fitting.
    Glock 26/19/17
    Catchy sig line under construction.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links