I swear-it sucks being lefty

This is a discussion on I swear-it sucks being lefty within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We always have to deal with everything righty, and adapt. Sure, you can find stuff like holsters for us, but they're usually special orders, with ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

We always have to deal with everything righty, and adapt.
    Sure, you can find stuff like holsters for us, but they're usually special orders, with "no return". Nobody makes a true lefty 1911 as far as I can see, I had to search for a long time for my lefty Bolt action rifle (Ruger). I just ordered a new holster and I had to go directly to the company (Blackhawk) for it. I know I got soaked on the price, but what can I do-I'm a lefty! I really wanted to get a Crimson Trace Lasergrip for my XD-9, but I think my being a lefty would interfere with the laser! Screwed again! I with there were a gunshop devoted to us wrong-siders-I would so be there.

Sorry about my little rant, but I am a bit tired right now.

Demetri

Learn to shoot right, I am a righty that can shoot left.......LOL
    SAEPIUS EXERTUS-SEMPER FIDELIS-FRATER INFINITAS

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Well, I see some great deals on left hand Milt Sparks VMIIs every once in a while. I guess that's a bonus.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Nah, it's not so bad.... of course I don't desire some of the things you do (Crimson Trace for example- Laser Max guide rods might work for you on some weapons). And I shoot long guns mostly right handed.

But the 1911? The only thing we need for that weapon is the Ambi safety (IMHO, something the right handers need too). The rest of the controls work (maybe better) left handed. Magazine release? Trigger finger (hard to do right handed with thumb without changing the grip position some). Slide release? Either trigger finger, support hand fingers from underneath or simply "slingshot" it.

As to holsters, my issue there is minor too, as I've largely gotten away from the stuff in stock at gun stores (bought a lefty Galco in one a few years back though). Most of mine these days come from Sparks and the like. Equal treatment there! I did buy a "Bodyguard" from DM Bullard a few months back, and he had lefty's in stock.

In general, I do understand what you mean. Scissors are a bear (yeah, you righties never thought about that! Try working a pair left handed!). And we need to ensure we are seated correctly at gatherings to prevent the usual elbow conflicts. And virtually everything is designed with right handers in mind (try a circular saw with the left!). But all in all, there are positive aspects (let's look on the bright side, we're unique! ).

Hey, according to science (and an old saying), we're the only ones in our right minds*

*Refers to a brain dominance thing, left side of the brain controlling right side of body, vice versa....
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

yes i feel your pain. my wife is a lefty. she shoots with her left hand. took some time to find a holster for her to use on the range. every day carry it is in her purse.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

My brother shoots left and has injured himself due to lack of attention.

I'm a lefty, and I don't find it hard at all to adapt. Also, I like Galco for the most part, but most major holster makers have left-handed models nowadays. As far as the Crimson Trace grips, I personally would think it would work better for a lefty. With the trigger finger running alone the side of the gun (out of the trigger guard), a righty might interfere with the beam. Then again, I could be wrong, since I don't use lasers...

-Jeff-

VIP Member
    I feel your pain on the holster issue....but as to the actual firearms......not a problem.

I carry 1911s most of the time & all I have done is add ambi-safeties to them. All other controls I have adapted. I use my trigger finger to eject mags, this actually works better than what most righty's have to do to reach the mag release. Right-handers have to shift their hand slightly to reach it....not us lefties!

There is a maker of left handed 1911s, he uses Caspian frames & it is a true left-handed version. Charter Arms is making a left-handed version of a small frame revolver called the 'Southpaw'.

On a side note........Sam Colt's Peacemaker is actually left-handed! The loading gate is on the right side & the single-action revolver does not have to be moved to the left hand for reloading since us lefties are already holding it in our left hands!

Just learn to adapt or if you look hard enough, you'll find a version that works for you.....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Its a pretty charmed life when your chief complaint is being left handed. Makes me want to dig out grandaddy's old violin and play a tune.....

I'm a lefty and have never found it to be a problem except that holsters are hard to find off-the-shelf. I never even thought about the issue of where the safety is on my 1911's until I saw it mentioned on this forum.
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

No problem with leather if you go custom. And after all these years I'm used to brass crossing my face. But when I bought my Stag AR, it was a special pleasure standing on my brother's right, and bouncing brass off his head.

I'm right handed but shoot left handed. When I was looking for a gun I knew I wanted to find something my wife could shoot too. She's right handed. So I looked at those with ambi safeties or DAO with internal safeties. Hanguns and shotguns aren't a problem for me. Now a bolt action rifle. That's a different story. But there's always ways to work around the issues.

I also know a couple of dealers at the gun shows who carry just as many left handed holsters as right handed. If it's a big show I know I don't have to get their early. The right handed holsters are bought up a lot faster than the lefties. There's always plenty left by the time I get there.
    Being a left has "some" advantages.
    You can't fix stupid. Ron White

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Yea, sometimes it does suck. I am not a big fan of left handed only firearms either. The Stag AR doesn't take entirely standard parts and that is half the point of owning an AR.

The one good thing is that it is much easier to drive with a pistol IWB on the left side!

Regarding being a lefty, its really not a disadvantage at all. When people are looking at someone and looking for a gun, they tend to look at your right side where the gun is not. As others have said, the only mod necessary for a 1911 is an ambi safety. I use my left middle finger to press the mag release. In LE firearms instructor school, I found that I can reload a revolver faster left-handed than a righty can.

Regarding lasergrips, they are actually more suited for a lefty unless you shoot with your thumbs high. As a righty, the trigger finger is easily in the way of the laser when it is high on the frame and away from the trigger.

Also when a lefty positions for a fight with the right foot forward, a righty suddenly feels very awkward.

A lefty is also a good compliment to a righty, or vice-versa, when clearing a building or operating around a ballistic shield.
    Owner/ Instructor
    Your Best Defense, LLC
    SC CWP training
    1st Aid & CPR training
    www.yourbestdefensesc.com

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw66 View Post
    We always have to deal with everything righty, and adapt.
    Sure, you can find stuff like holsters for us, but they're usually special orders, with "no return". Nobody makes a true lefty 1911 as far as I can see.

Demetri
    We make left hands in everything we make for right hands. And back it with a 30 day return policy. Guarantee

Alex

I am a lefty. but can do everything ambidexterous. i can throw left or right,and bat either. I carry IWB at 2oclock. for some reason i feel comfortable like that. I think really the only thing i do left handed is iron my clothes and write.

+1 on the high noon holsters

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links