Finding a good holster

Finding a good holster

This is a discussion on Finding a good holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys. I have finally found the type of holster I want. A friend of mine has a Milt Sparks Watch Six - I really ...

Finding a good holster

Hey guys. I have finally found the type of holster I want. A friend of mine has a Milt Sparks Watch Six - I really like it. However, after going to the site, not only is it weirdly expensive, but out of stock, and/or back ordered.

Anyone know of an off-brand, or similar type holster I can eyeball?

I really like the "feel" and the shape etc - so if anyone can point me to some other sites I would appreciate it.

Thank you
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Administrator
    Sparks holsters are actually weirdly inexpensive for what you are getting for your dollar. Just FYI.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    They are GREAT holsters BUT, I'm convinced, more now than ever, that there are equally good holster values out there at lower prices and with shorter lead times. I would have to admit that for Milt Sparks, not many but one that comes to mind right away is HBE Leatherworks and their COMIII line of holsters. About $109 with a 4 week lead time or so. I have several of his holsters and they're simply outstanding.

Another extremely good value in holsters if you intend to wear at the 3:00 position (or a bit forward or behind that) is the new premium line of AJ Concealco holsters. I have two of their regular ones for revolvers and I just got a premium one with sweat guard for a Kahr MK9 and it was half what you'd pay for the Watch Six and it was less than 4 weeks lead time.

To be fair, I haven't owned a Watch Six, only seen one and it is beautiful but I think you get every bit of that in an HBE ComIII. I think certain makers get reputations that are certainly deserved but become larger than they really ought to be. For example Toyota really is GREAT car but the brand recognition is comanding more dollars than they probably really are worth.

Another option is UBG holsters. They aren't quite as nice as a HBE but they're every bit as functional and again, great price and lead time.

I once waited over a year for a custom holster and paid a fortune for it and it was a piece of art but at the end of the day I'm not putting these on the wall, I'm strapping them to a gun belt and wearing them.

Gideon, thank you - I will do some searching on those. My goal is to wear around the 4:00 position, and I have a GLOCK 23.

Again, thanks - I will post after some search.
    Shivering in the "heat"

Distinguished Member
    Also look at kd holsters, they are not as expensive as Sparks, but there is a 4 month wait. Kevin is great to work with. I have 2 of his OWB Eagle Defenders, 1 is for a G23 and the other for a J frame and they are my favorite holsters. I am going to get one of his IWB holsters for the G23 to compare it with my Sparks VMII. Another member order a KD and a VMII and sold his VMII because he like the KD better.

The Great Holsters

I have only three, 2 from Alessi and one from Bulman. None much better than these guys but also wished for a Delfatti. His wait is two years!! I'm too old for that kind of waiting. No offense to the other great makers, only my experience.
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

Fist holsters...most are under a C-note, quality leather, with delivery in 3-5 weeks.
    OMO...costs nothing to look.

Stay armed...I like Fist holsters...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon
    Another extremely good value in holsters if you intend to wear at the 3:00 position (or a bit forward or behind that) is the new premium line of AJ Concealco holsters. I have two of their regular ones for revolvers and I just got a premium one with sweat guard for a Kahr MK9 and it was half what you'd pay for the Watch Six and it was less than 4 weeks lead time.
    Something is wrong here. Are you referring to the "Select Grade IWB Holster w/Reinforced Sweat-shield"? If so, the price I see listed is $78. Did you look at the Milt Sparks site? The Watch Six is $77. And it's Horsehide, a more expensive leather than cowhide (as an example of the upcharge, with CrossBreed, you pay an upcharge of $15 for the flat slab of leather on the body side of the holster to be upgraded to horsehide).

And to the OP, the Watch Six is neither out of stock, nor back ordered. It is made to order, as are all Milt Sparks Holsters. There is a reason they are so popular (you witnessed this when you liked what you saw). And yes, there is a wait (current quote is I think 20 to 26 weeks). And guess what? They deliver when they say they will (unlike many of the horror stories you've heard about custom holster makers).

I don't understand why I so often see both wait times and prices of Milt Sparks Holsters mis-quoted/exaggerated on Forums. But I see a lot of it.

Bottom line, you can get a holster quicker in many cases from many sources. But you'll find few finer than Milt Sparks Holsters. They've become a standard others are compared too, and for good reason. Besides top quality, you'll find fair pricing and customer service policies, and honest and accurate delivery estimates. They simply are one of the best in the business. Guess that's why they're such a target!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

JD
    Administrator
    Regarding Sparks, I can only echo T Bones points. If you want a Sparks, you wait and pay. If you don't want to wait, you can always check out eBay and pay an outrageous markup from the price gougers that are the reason there's a wait time.

There are other makers, but IMHO Milt Sparks is one of the best, the others having even more of a wait. OR you can try to order the Sparks from Lightning Arms Sports, at a higher price...

For similar IWB styles if you don't want the Sparks, I'd go with the above mentioned guys, UBG, HBE, TT Gunleather, FIST, and Desibens Gun Leather now that Rhome is back in the states. I was just checking out his website and I can't wait to get me one of the #2 IWB holsters...

Now that's a nice looking rig.

I've dealt with all of the above mentioned makers except FIST, but I've never heard a complaint about them.

T-Bone, thank you. Man, I don't know where my brain was when I looked at that site last night - could have sworn it was closer to $150.

However, that wait seems a long time - I will need to get something to last until I can get that one.

Again, thank you. I will be checking into it immediately.
    Shivering in the "heat"

Nothing fits a Glock like a kydex holster from raven concealment systems. Absolutely the best in kydex IMO. Actually, it's one of my favorite holsters overall. They lock the gun in tightly and releases very quickly on the draw.

I have one for every gun I own.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Well guys -as I was checking everything out. I decided to go with HBE. Already called and have some stuff on order - says it will take about 3-4 weeks. I can wiat that long.

Thanks for all the good input.
    Shivering in the "heat"

UBG is great to deal with, reasonable cost, high quality and decent delivery time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiWeiSz View Post
    Gideon, thank you - I will do some searching on those. My goal is to wear around the 4:00 position, and I have a GLOCK 23.
    I carry the same size gun (a G19) in the same position -- TT Gunleather's IWB works for me, and is reasonably priced. Oddly enough, I like it better than the MS VM2 which it is a copy of -- it seems a little less bulky.

Check out Lightning Arms Sports, in Portland, OR. They tend to have a number of Milt Sparks, Del Fatti and a few others in stock, for a wide range of guns. That might cure the backorder issue. I have used them several times and have yet to find something out of stock for my specific gun (CZ P-01).

The Milt Sparks Watch Six and the VM2 are similar.

The Brommeland Max Con and Def Con are similar in design. You can find these at Coal Creek Armory, in stock (many of them).

As is the HBE Leatherworks COM3.

Check out Fist Holsters, as well. They have a couple models that might work (ie, #14). For having one made, Fist often is one of the fastest to ship, including whatever custom alterations you want. I've got a few Fist holsters and like them quite a bit.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links