J Frame Pocket Holsters

J Frame Pocket Holsters

This is a discussion on J Frame Pocket Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm the proud new owner of a S&W 642 but am not completely satisfied with the Galco horsehide pocket holster that I bought with it. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: J Frame Pocket Holsters

J Frame Pocket Holsters

I'm the proud new owner of a S&W 642 but am not completely satisfied with the Galco horsehide pocket holster that I bought with it. I've searched on this site but havn't found any suggestions for what I'm looking for. The Galco seems to be a bit bulky and looks like I'm carrying a piece of plywood in my pocket when seated.

I've seen some smaller holsters that use a "resistance" method of keeping the holster secure in the pocket when drawing but am curious how that works with pockets that can be turned inside out.

Any one that has any experience with a J frame pocket holster suitable for dress slacks?

Take a look at FIST holsters. The #5 Pocket Holster is the best one I've used thus far. The "thumb push" it utilizes really puts it over the top and the quality is top notch. You can have the revolver completely free of the holster before you even start to remove it from your pocket. I never liked the idea of depending on the corner of my pocket catching on that little extended piece of leather everyone adds to theirs...still a chance that you pull both your holster AND weapon from your pocket. You can get it in Kydex or leather (mine is in leather). It costs nothing to at least look at them... you won't be disappointed.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Administrator
    I've had good luck with Mika, Desantis and FIST. I believe in KISS.
    "Just blame Sixto"

For my snubby I use a homemade kydex holster that has anti-skit (skateboard) tape that sticks to cotton like velcro. I've never had a problem with it coming out of the pocket along with the gun.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

VIP Member
    I use a Safariland pocket holster. Kiss simple, inexepensive, and stays put, even in loose dress pants pockets.

Ron
    Mika pocket holster. Does not print and stays in the pocket when you draw. Highly recommended. I use it for a 642.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I'm currently using a Uncle Mike's pocket holster (#3) for my 642. Satisfied with it for the most part. I got the Uncle Mike's due to finding something quick off the shelf and the cheap cost.

I might try a Mika at some point in the future due to all the rave reviews it gets. I think the wait time on the Mika is around 8 weeks or so from what I've heard.

David

I have the Fist #5 kydex pocket holster with the 'thumb push' for several weapons...it really works well. Will not tip in the pocket, will not come out of the pocket with the gun (guaranteed), fits the thigh, and does not print.

Stay armed...give Fist a try...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks, those look to be considerably better than what I'm using.

I just received my RKBA pocket holster... $34 shipped to my door. Heck of a deal and only about three-four weeks. I got the rough out all black version. The best for jeans carry - I don't pocket carry with slacks.

Give him a call!

RKBA Leather & Holsters
    ---------------------------------------
    www.GeorgiaCarry.org Member
    ---------------------------------------

+ 1 on the Safariland. Suede outside, slick inside - stays put.
    Steve

I use my MIKA most often. Not pretty or stylish, but it gets the job done, and that's what counts. Not expensive and have a reasonable delivery time.

I'd have to recommend the Kramer pocket holster,they are the best pocket holster period. A lot of others here will agree to,I know at $100 shipped they are expensive but they are the Cadillac of pocket holsters.

I'd also recommend believe it or not an uncle mikes pocket holster I think its a size number 3 or 4 these are only like $15 or so and they work very well indeed with the airweight J-frames. I'm using one right for my S&W model 42 lemon squeezer. Again if you don't want to spend A lot of money on a pocket rig the uncle mikes will be a nice job if you need one ASAP.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    for you guys using the fist #5, can you please tell me if it prints much? It looks like the molded side faces out and that it might print with thin dress pants. What do you guys think?

Also, if you're using one of the Uncle Mikes, BEWARE, I had a 642 slip out of my pocket on a friends sofa due to how slippery the material is inside of those. Just so happened I had on dockers with larger pockets and the couch was low so my knees were up and that gun slipped right out. I only noticed as I got up Could have been a real disaster!

Anyway I'm also looking for a thin (minimal bulk) pocket holster that doesn't print.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    for you guys using the fist #5, can you please tell me if it prints much? It looks like the molded side faces out and that it might print with thin dress pants. What do you guys think?

Also, if you're using one of the Uncle Mikes, BEWARE, I had a 642 slip out of my pocket on a friends sofa due to how slippery the material is inside of those. Just so happened I had on dockers with larger pockets and the couch was low so my knees were up and that gun slipped right out. I only noticed as I got up Could have been a real disaster!

Anyway I'm also looking for a thin (minimal bulk) pocket holster that doesn't print.

Merry Christmas everyone!
    Really not sure how you would get a thinner holster than the Fist #5 (especially in Kydex). No worries about printing either. I believe my wait a few months ago was exactly 30 days for it. Give them a try. Best $39.95 you'll ever spend.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links