Big gun, little guy

Big gun, little guy

This is a discussion on Big gun, little guy within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy all. New to concealed carry, and would like to get some opinions. I now carry a 637 in front, IWB, strong side and that ...

Big gun, little guy

Howdy all. New to concealed carry, and would like to get some
    opinions.

I now carry a 637 in front, IWB, strong side and that works pretty
    well.

I'd like to purchase a rig to carry my CZ75. My problem is that I'm
    real thin - 6'0 145#. Any opinions on the best way for a little guy
    to carry full size? Recommended holsters and manufacturers?

Thanks.

Welcome Chaos,
    ya sound like yer on the right track with IWB being slim like ya are.
    i recently bought a fullsize 1911 and regularly carry a SA micro 45 IWB (just shorter grip and barrel from fullsize) and plan on carrying the fullsize IWB when my holster arrives, i OWB both when i can , clothing dependent. I weigh about 210, 6'1 (bit-o-beerbelly) and i think i'll have issues with the fullsize grip printing when carrying IWB. the barrel won't be an issue for ya IWB but that big grip...

i know yer gonna hear about the 'smartcarry', like cram that thing in yer lower belly? not for me but if ya wear baggier stuff may work for ya, i've never used one but others love'em. i think shoulder carry is possible but horiz carry would be out cuz yer prolly not that thick and it'll print out yer back like crazy and maybe front too. vert shoulder could be an option if ya like shoulder holsters. i think they look cool but i don't use one.
    as far as makers, obviously ya need to figger out yer style of carry first. but there are lotsa fine makers that are involved with this site. it won't be hard to find a great maker when you know what ya need.

carry often and be smart.
    ER1C
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't a shoulder rig that carried the weapon with the butt somewhat lower than the muzzle work for a taller, thin person?

Seems that might make for a reasonably quick draw, but it would require some form of active retention, such as a thumb brake or a holster like Blackhawk's SERPA retention system.

I ask, because the people at Blackhawk told me they are coming out with a shoulder rig that will use their concealment holsters.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Assistant Administrator
    Welcome

My son has a new 637 and for now anyways is gonna carry in a spare (old Jim Burke) OWB hi ride I gave him. He is near 6.00" and maybe 160# or so - so he is slim.

So far he has little problem managing with this set-up altho he has yet to get used to carry - and at work it's a no-no anyways. IWB may be better but - IMO it is so uncomfortable, and worse if you sweat a lot.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Engine
    Howdy all. New to concealed carry, and would like to get some
    opinions.

I now carry a 637 in front, IWB, strong side and that works pretty
    well.

I'd like to purchase a rig to carry my CZ75. My problem is that I'm
    real thin - 6'0 145#. Any opinions on the best way for a little guy
    to carry full size? Recommended holsters and manufacturers?

Thanks.
    Welcome Chaos. Those were my exact dimensions when I was in college and I carried a M19 S&W .357 then with a 4" bbl. I used a SafariLand shoulder holster with a vertical hold and at times a Bianchi "Pancake" OWB strongside. Both worked well and my standard cover garment was either a down vest (in Tuscaloosa, Alabama) in winter or an oversized "Jungle Fatigue" shirt from the vietnam era in summertime. This was way before the advent of the photographers vest. A windbreaker would also work.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

First get a good belt. With a large frame pistol like the CZ you will want a good belt or it just won't be at all comfortable.

IWB or OWB is your personal preference in my opinion. Either way get a good quality holster. As for concealing anything I think being thin helps. If you are going for IWB buy your pants one size to big. If going OWB buy your shirts one size to big. Basically avoid anything tight fitting. I'm not as thin as you but I carry full size pistols and large frame revolvers OWB all the time. I am just not a fan of IWB rigs. That may change, but for now not my preference.

My local shop carries Glaco, so I have their stuff, but there are many quality manufactures and makers out there.

-Scott-

I'm 6'/160.
    I carry a Colt Delta Gold Cup (5" 1911) in a Tucker 'the answer' IWB and swear by it.
    Among all the other things I like about it, it disappears under any shirt, even just a dark tucked t-shirt.

Worth a look.

http://store.yahoo.com/rlcompanyusa/answer.html

Welcome to the Forum. A few quick suggestions, take a look at the holsters (and belts too!) from: Eric Larsen, Gary Brommeland, Matt DelFatti and Kevin at K&D - all Forum members here. Guarantee you'll see something on their websites that'll make your eyes pop out.
    Jack

Thanks guys -

Good leads to look into. That Tucker rig might
    be the ticket.

Im 5' 11" 165lbs. I carry a full size 1911 IBW (DeSantis: Cozy partner) off duty. I dont neen to tuck in my shirt unless Im at work. If its too warm for a jacket, I wear a button up polo shirt untucked. A little bit of cover garment goes a long way, when your thin.

SOLO,
    Is the weight difference noticable between your micro and fullsize, while carrying?

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    You know....I know a guy who makes a lot of CZ stuff. :D :D
    Seriously, look around and see what suits your taste, style and needs.
    You can go from there........lots of great makers out there.
    Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen
    You know....I know a guy who makes a lot of CZ stuff. :D :D

I hear he makes stuff for the J-frames too!

Welcome to the forum!

I'm 6' running just about 175lbs. I carry my XD9 Service in a Desantis Pro-Stealth right now. I have found that if I place the Desantis at the 2:00 position (it's an IWB holster), I can comfortably conceal and carry the XD with almost no printing at all. I typically carry with a loose sweatshirt or an untucked t-shirt without any problems at all. The Pro-Stealth also has a pocket for an extra magazine which I carry with me so the whole rig could be considered slightly large by some, but it just seems to fit right into my body at that position and feels very comfortable. I shift it a tad when I am sitting in my truck by tilting the butt a little bit but I can still easily draw from that position while buckled after about 30 minutes of practice.

I use to move the Pro-Stealth from the 2:00 position to the 5:00 position when I arrived back at my house for slightly more comfort while lounging. I am currently using the XD Gear OWB holster at home just because I have one, but I'll even switch that off for the Pro-Stealth at the 5:00 position sometimes depending on my mood. At your size, you should have little problem concealing almost ANY handgun. I think it's going to be more a question of what holster feels the best to you. I like my Pro-Stealth as far as comfortability goes, but I plan to buy another holster in a few months only because the clip can be a PITA when trying to stuff it into my pants at the 5:00 position. The belt combined with the thick label of my jeans can be a bear to mess around with! Plus, I'm always looking for something different to try so why not try a bunch of different holsters right? :)

Anyways, do as much research into holsters as you can. See what people are using for the handgun model you intend to carry and then check out those holsters on the web. If you can, find a local dealer where you can go and put those holsters in your hand of possible. If that's not available, then learn as much as you can via the websites and internet forums as you can and see what fits your budget and likeness. The best thing you can do is at least get something that lets you take your handgun with you. It might not be the best thing out there, but if it allows you to take your handgun with you as opposed to leaving it at home, then it's good enough IMHO.

If you need to get to work, a Yugo will certainly get you there even though you'de rather be driving something else! A cheap holster might not be the absolute in comfort, but I'd take a slightly uncomfortable holster over being dead anyday!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Actually we thin guys have the advantage when it comes to carrying full size guns. I read about heavier guys having to carry smaller weapons. I'm 5' 8" and only 140 pounds, and I can conceal a full size 1911, no one knows I have it on me. In fact, that's what I'm carrying now.

Assistant Administrator
    I can't claim thin/skinny per se but 6'.00" and 210# I am not too huge so I too find concealment of full size easy.

I'll tell you what makes biggest difference IMO - is the profile - meaning the difference between ''pear shaped'' as against ''triangular''. I am the latter which means I have broad shoulders and still relatively narrow waist (36")..... like a triangle balanced on its apex.

This is part of why I have such a lot of back trouble but what it does do is - let the cover garment hang down so that around waist is a sorta spare-space region. This where the guns sits and provided bending over etc is controlled properly - I can carry a darned cannon quite easily
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links