2 New VMII'S - Page 2

2 New VMII'S

This is a discussion on 2 New VMII'S within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Trust me, I've had lesser snaps from other makers that unsnapped at will.....I'd rather have tight snaps that will break in with use. Good onya ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 New VMII'S

Trust me, I've had lesser snaps from other makers that unsnapped at will.....I'd rather have tight snaps that will break in with use.

Good onya for keeping those beautiful holsters!

In no time, you'll be posting about those gems being the bee's knees!

I too have a newer VMII with shark, and am still struggling to get the snaps right. Have to fight with them to get them snapped, and sometimes they don't hold, since I've not done it right.

I think this is a function of the straps being shark, they don't give as much to give enough room to work with when operating the snaps.

I'll stick with it, but have found the snap thing to be frustrating.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    I too have a newer VMII with shark, and am still struggling to get the snaps right. Have to fight with them to get them snapped, and sometimes they don't hold, since I've not done it right.

I think this is a function of the straps being shark, they don't give as much to give enough room to work with when operating the snaps.

I'll stick with it, but have found the snap thing to be frustrating.
    I've had minor issues with mine as well, but determined it is simply the stiffness of the loop fighting me getting the one way snap started properly while on- there is a "sweet spot" sort of, and once you get it there, they snap easily.

This past week, I took some Renaissance wax to my VM2HS to protect the surface for the first time (this is the product Milt Sparks recommends for leather care).

In applying the wax to the holster, I inadvertently got some on the snaps, and I was AMAZED at how much easier they became to work!
    I'd taken to mostly putting the holster on the belt before putting the pants on (much easier) but since the wax, not necessary.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

PKL
    I am also unhappy with my VM2 for Sig P239. It's just not comfy. I think I am too skinny of a man for IWB holsters. I even bought a oversized pair of jeans to fit the holster and gun better, and it still does not feel right at all. I put it up on ebay yesterday.

I know Tony Kanaley's on vacation this weekend, and probably will respond to this thread.

I'm pretty sure the snaps are supposed to be utilized only for removing the holster and such is/was stated somewhere on the Milt Sparks site.

The belt is supposed to be slid through loops already snapped together.

Stretching the loops to facilitate snapping them onto the belt will result in loose loops and a "roving" holster. Ask me how I know.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Distinguished Member
    I have never read that on his sight and there is room for improvement with these type of snaps. This brand is not the first one with snaps that I have, and they were hard to snap also, but I could snap them on the belt.

It's hard to argue with a 6 month wait list, but if I new that you could only use them for removing the holster I would have picked another make or maker.

Sparks has a good reputation so I am sure that it will work out.

As mentioned earlier Milt Sparks utilizes the saftey dot snap on their VM-2.
    This snap must be engaged by rolling upward from the bottom to snap and downward from the top to disengage. If done properly the snaps engage with little effort. There may be a small break in period to stretch the belt loop leather depending upon the thickness of your belt. The width of the belt should match the belt loops used. Because variou makers use a different belt thickness the break in period may vary. You may find yourself threading your belt through the snapped loops until break in is accomplished. During the break in period remove the holster by unsnapping the loops and then re-snapping before you put the holster on. The earlier comment regarding only using the snaps to remove the holster is erroneous. Once the loops are broken in you can use the snaps at ease to put on or take off the holster.

Good post, Audrey! ()

Hi, Craig!

Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz View Post
    Good post, Audrey! ()

Hi, Craig!
    +1000! I bought my first VM2 from you folks (with a couple of MS Mag carriers). Fantastic service by the way!

Just want to reiterate here, in case I was not clear in my last post, my snaps that I inadvertently hit with the Renaissance wax are now smooth as butter! I no longer need to thread the belt before donning the holster, I just snapped and unsnapped each of them effortlessly about five times while typing this post to be sure!

They are definitely supposed to be useable without removing the belt, that is one of the key features of the VM2, you can take it off and put if back on while out and about.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Humm..a removable holster that you can not use as a removable holster..
    I did not like my Sparks, and when I don't like things..they go away. I like my Broomland much better, and have had great luck with it. Sparks quality is by far some of the best you will find..just not sure it is the cat's meow most think it is.
    Luck.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Distinguished Member
    Good news I can snap one of the holsters now. I took some of yawl's advice and I wore one of them and it has stretched enough to snap on the belt now. It was the one for the J Frame,( it was the easier to snap from the beginning).

I called Sparks today and told them about the problem. They gave me 2 possible solutions.
    To stretch the loops by putting the plastic bag, that they came in over the belt and then sliding the holster over it. I haven't tried it, but I think it would be impossible to do.
    If that does not work, send the loops back and they will make them in 1 3/4".

I told them how I got the other one to work and they said it would be OK to do that but, I better not damage the loops, where they can't be resold.

They said that Shark is harder to stretch, but it will stretch some.

Try the soap (or some wax of some sort) on the metal male portion of the snaps, just a light application. I swear, mine improved 80% or better right after that one accidental application of the Renaissance Wax.
    Regards, T Bone.

Quote Originally Posted by mocarryguy View Post
    Humm..a removable holster that you can not use as a removable holster..
    I did not like my Sparks, and when I don't like things..they go away. I like my Broomland much better, and have had great luck with it. Sparks quality is by far some of the best you will find..just not sure it is the cat's meow most think it is.
    Luck.
    ?? Who said you can't? I do it, now that I've got my snaps waxed, they work great! Removing was never an issue anyway. Getting the snaps to go back in place was difficult but do-able. Not difficult any more! And I did use my Axiom this way when it was nearly new.

The Brommeland does look nice. But the Sparks, WRT being the "cat's pajama's"? I find them to be nearly purrrrfect. Sorry, couldn't resist...
    Regards, T Bone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links