Defensive Carry banner

2 New VMII'S

3K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  T Bone 
#1 ·
I opened up my Sparks box today, Merry Christmas to me from me.
I received them last Wednesday, but I felt to bad to take pictures and break them in, so I just waited until Christmas to open them.

I was disappointed in them, one is for a 4" 1911 and the other is for a J frame. I can not hardly snap the belt loops shut with it on a belt, whether I have the belt on or off.

The one for the 1911 looks like I have been wearing it, it has a few marks on the front.

Fit, is very tight, the tightest off any new holster that I have bought.

The reinforced mouth is very good and they would be excellent if the loops would snap easily, the little scratches on the one doesn't bother me that much because it's going to get them anyway.

I am going to call them on Monday and see if they will take them back.

If anybody here wants either of them let me know before Monday, they are $135.00 each.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Wow... I can't believe you'd sent them back. :frown: I have several and never had any problems like you described.

The snaps are one way snaps, if you look at them you'll see a tab at the that bottom has to go on first, The straps will stretch so just snap the loops closed and slip your belt through them until they're broken in a little. Same for the fit, give 'em a chance to break in to your weapon. You wouldn't want everything to come loose would you?

If you do sell them I'll take them both! Please PM me.

#4 ·
Redrick, there should have been a paper with the holsters that discussed the break in methods. It discusses if the holster is tight, to make several (maybe 25 to 100) presentations from the holster with an unloaded weapon. This is all that has been necessary with my four VM2's (I typically do the 100 draws whether needed or not).

If this doesn't do the trick, their next instruction states to place the unloaded firearm in the bag the holster came in (4 mil plastic) and insert it into the holster. This procedure is called blocking, and lightly stretches the leather to fit. The time needed will be from a few minutes to overnight according to the paper (you want to be sure you don't over do this procedure).

Thumper had the snaps covered, as to the loops, I'd discuss that with the folks at Milt Sparks. They may give you a procedure to loosen them slightly. As for the scratches, I am a bit surprised (mine all arrived looking great) but I suspect they can make that right somehow. I'd give them a call.

#5 ·
What width is the belt? I ask because I had what I thought was a 1.5" belt (different brand) and couldn't figure out why the 1.5" loops couldn't be snapped closed until I measured the belt and found out it is 1.75".
Also, I recall the Sparks site used to have some use instructions stating the loop snaps are supposed to be used only for removing the holster from the belt and the belt should be slid through closed loops. I think it was on the same page as where the holster should be taken off if there was not going to be a gun in it for an extended period, whether the mouth was reinforced or not. On the FAQs maybe?

#8 ·
Thanks for the input on this from all of you.

Yes, the belt is 1.5 and they will slide through the loops and I can sometimes snap them on 1 of the holsters after a fight. On the 1911 I can snap 1 of the loops. They snap fine off of the belt. I think it has more to do with how thick the belt is and not the width. I took my flimsy work belt that is 1.25 wide and folded it in half, which made it a little wider than my Rafter and I could not snap the loops.

Yes, it has those grain lines in it and there are 4 small scratches on the right side, 2 of them you can feel if you run your finger over them. They do not really bother me, I just wished the loops would snap. Wearing it, it's going to get scratched anyway, that's just adds character.

Yes, it will fit a 360 and the loops are 1.5", Horse and Shark.

#9 ·
redrick, most all of my holsters with belt loops do that. Just wear it for a while sliding the belt through the loops and they will eventually stretch and loosen enough that they will finally snap on the belt. You will notice the loops expanding after you've worn it for a while.

John

#10 ·
The snaps certainly can be a bear at first, but with many snappings/unsnappings they'll loosen up just a bit. Rub a bit of bar soap on the innards of the snap, that has worked for me, slicks it up a bit.

My four VM2's (and three more on the way!) now snap easily.

As Matt stated, horsehide has a bit more "character" than cow....the two horse/shark VM2's I received last month did indeed have a few small "scratches", for lack of a better word. That's just horse!

Check out this pic, two brand new/unused/unworn horse VM2's...notice the character marks on the 1911 holster? The snaps on both of these newest ones now snap/unsnap like butter!

Attachments

#11 ·
Wow great work as always Matt!!

I can understand the frustration that Redrick has. Spend a rather large sum of money and expect perfection. Don't worry about a tight fit. That is usually not a problem. Practice draws or the old "gun in plastic bag" works wonders to losen it up. Work them a bit and see if they wear in for you. Don;t worry, because you can easily sell them for more than you paid!

Milt Sparks just charged my CC so my VM2 shark plus belt for my 640-1 should be here anyday now. Been almost 6.5 months wait.

#14 ·
Thanks again for the help and it is like orangehole said ( I was frustrated). I waited 6 months (as y'all have) and I didn't expect to have trouble with putting it on the belt. I have never heard anyone post about this before. I did expect to have to break it in some, so it would draw smoothly.

Y'all have made me feel better about them and that the snaps will break in. I hope others who are going buy them read this, in-case they run into the same problem.

I will keep you posted on the end result.

I am not going to sell them right now and I would not want anyone to buy something that doesn't work right with out knowing about it.

Thanks again and if you have had the same problem let us no and how it worked out for you.

I am going to see if Sparks will put this problem in his FAQ's.

I

#17 ·
I too have a newer VMII with shark, and am still struggling to get the snaps right. Have to fight with them to get them snapped, and sometimes they don't hold, since I've not done it right.

I think this is a function of the straps being shark, they don't give as much to give enough room to work with when operating the snaps.

I'll stick with it, but have found the snap thing to be frustrating.

#18 ·
I've had minor issues with mine as well, but determined it is simply the stiffness of the loop fighting me getting the one way snap started properly while on- there is a "sweet spot" sort of, and once you get it there, they snap easily.

This past week, I took some Renaissance wax to my VM2HS to protect the surface for the first time (this is the product Milt Sparks recommends for leather care).

In applying the wax to the holster, I inadvertently got some on the snaps, and I was AMAZED at how much easier they became to work!
I'd taken to mostly putting the holster on the belt before putting the pants on (much easier) but since the wax, not necessary.

#19 ·
I am also unhappy with my VM2 for Sig P239. It's just not comfy. I think I am too skinny of a man for IWB holsters. I even bought a oversized pair of jeans to fit the holster and gun better, and it still does not feel right at all. I put it up on ebay yesterday. :yup:

#20 ·
I know Tony Kanaley's on vacation this weekend, and probably will respond to this thread.

I'm pretty sure the snaps are supposed to be utilized only for removing the holster and such is/was stated somewhere on the Milt Sparks site.

The belt is supposed to be slid through loops already snapped together.

Stretching the loops to facilitate snapping them onto the belt will result in loose loops and a "roving" holster. Ask me how I know.

#21 ·
I have never read that on his sight and there is room for improvement with these type of snaps. This brand is not the first one with snaps that I have, and they were hard to snap also, but I could snap them on the belt.

It's hard to argue with a 6 month wait list, but if I new that you could only use them for removing the holster I would have picked another make or maker.

Sparks has a good reputation so I am sure that it will work out.

#22 ·
As mentioned earlier Milt Sparks utilizes the saftey dot snap on their VM-2.
This snap must be engaged by rolling upward from the bottom to snap and downward from the top to disengage. If done properly the snaps engage with little effort. There may be a small break in period to stretch the belt loop leather depending upon the thickness of your belt. The width of the belt should match the belt loops used. Because variou makers use a different belt thickness the break in period may vary. You may find yourself threading your belt through the snapped loops until break in is accomplished. During the break in period remove the holster by unsnapping the loops and then re-snapping before you put the holster on. The earlier comment regarding only using the snaps to remove the holster is erroneous. Once the loops are broken in you can use the snaps at ease to put on or take off the holster.

#24 ·
+1000! I bought my first VM2 from you folks (with a couple of MS Mag carriers). Fantastic service by the way!

Just want to reiterate here, in case I was not clear in my last post, my snaps that I inadvertently hit with the Renaissance wax are now smooth as butter! I no longer need to thread the belt before donning the holster, I just snapped and unsnapped each of them effortlessly about five times while typing this post to be sure!

They are definitely supposed to be useable without removing the belt, that is one of the key features of the VM2, you can take it off and put if back on while out and about.

#25 ·
Humm..a removable holster that you can not use as a removable holster..
I did not like my Sparks, and when I don't like things..they go away. I like my Broomland much better, and have had great luck with it. Sparks quality is by far some of the best you will find..just not sure it is the cat's meow most think it is.
Luck.

#28 ·
Humm..a removable holster that you can not use as a removable holster..
I did not like my Sparks, and when I don't like things..they go away. I like my Broomland much better, and have had great luck with it. Sparks quality is by far some of the best you will find..just not sure it is the cat's meow most think it is.
Luck.
?? Who said you can't? I do it, now that I've got my snaps waxed, they work great! Removing was never an issue anyway. Getting the snaps to go back in place was difficult but do-able. Not difficult any more! And I did use my Axiom this way when it was nearly new.

The Brommeland does look nice. But the Sparks, WRT being the "cat's pajama's"? I find them to be nearly purrrrfect. :biggrin: Sorry, couldn't resist...

#26 ·
Good news I can snap one of the holsters now. I took some of yawl's advice and I wore one of them and it has stretched enough to snap on the belt now. It was the one for the J Frame,( it was the easier to snap from the beginning).

I called Sparks today and told them about the problem. They gave me 2 possible solutions.
To stretch the loops by putting the plastic bag, that they came in over the belt and then sliding the holster over it. I haven't tried it, but I think it would be impossible to do.
If that does not work, send the loops back and they will make them in 1 3/4".

I told them how I got the other one to work and they said it would be OK to do that but, I better not damage the loops, where they can't be resold.

They said that Shark is harder to stretch, but it will stretch some.

#27 ·
Try the soap (or some wax of some sort) on the metal male portion of the snaps, just a light application. I swear, mine improved 80% or better right after that one accidental application of the Renaissance Wax.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.