Gift for the Brother-In-Law, hope he likes it...

This is a discussion on Gift for the Brother-In-Law, hope he likes it... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this isn't exactly a concealment holster, but I thought I'd post it anyways. When I first got into guns several years ago my ...

Thread: Gift for the Brother-In-Law, hope he likes it...

Gift for the Brother-In-Law, hope he likes it...

I know this isn't exactly a concealment holster, but I thought I'd post it anyways.

When I first got into guns several years ago my brother-in-law bought a Beretta 92FS. Shooting his was my first experience with this well loved firearm. I was taken by it's good looks and easy accuracy. Since then I've never really had a chance to own one myself mostly because I tend to lean towards smaller more concealable handguns, but I still love the look of it. A while back my brother-in-law mentioned he was interested in getting a holster for his Beretta. He doesn't CCW, so he was just looking for something he could carry it in comfortably. This Christmas I drew his name for presents and decided I'd try my hand at making that holster for him. This is my first attempt at a OWB (outside the waistband) kydex holster.

I got inspiration from Comp-tac's belt slide holster since it is a fairly simple single sheet design and looked to be stable & comfortable. As I don't own a 92FS I luckily have a coworker that was gracious enough to lend it to me for a night to get the fit just right.

The split loops had to be cut using a dremel so they aren't as clean as I would like, but they are functional and solidly lock onto the belt. The sex bolts (yes, they are really called that) I got after searching around Ace Hardware and if the holster were going to be used for CCW I'd probably paint them black.

Here it is worn.

It really is nice and comfortable and with this long sweater I could probably get away with wearing it concealed except for a bit of the bottom showing. As my first OWB holster I'm very happy with it and I hope the B-I-L likes it as well.

I think I'll have to make one for my wife's Ruger, maybe a paddle holster this time...I swear I must be addicted to kydex fumes.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

2. Remove Ads

nice, I'm sure he will love it. Have a great Christmas

I am sure he will like it. I am considering attempting to make my own kydex holster also.
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. "
    Best words of wisdom from my Master Emperor Palpatine

That looks pretty nice for a trial run. A gift from the hands and heart usually tops something bought. I figure you'll be perfecting things in the coming days. At first look, I figured it was another Raven holster thread (which I have been looking into with desire). Definitely got possibilities there...keep on going and don't forget the IWB venue. Your brother in law is a lucky guy this Christmas....My brother in law got away with a boat load of ammo....tomorrow I'm gonna get him to let me shoot some of his 7mm Mag at the cost of my 7.62 or 5.56! Merry Christmas, and you should be proud of your accomplishments on the holster ordeal. I sort of dislike adding to my list of hobbies, but ya never know.

Looks good..

For me I find it a pain trying to make this type of belt loop. I have not tried to make a split loop yet tho. I bet that does help it heat up quicker..

One thing I do like to do is instead of going strait across the back with the the part bent over add a curve or a angle to it..

It is for no other reason then looks.

Looks good keep it up....

Quote Originally Posted by southbound View Post
    Looks good..

For me I find it a pain trying to make this type of belt loop. I have not tried to make a split loop yet tho. I bet that does help it heat up quicker..

One thing I do like to do is instead of going strait across the back with the the part bent over add a curve or a angle to it..

It is for no other reason then looks.

Looks good keep it up....
    Southbound, nice holster! The split loop is fairly easy to make using a cutting wheel after its been formed. It's great for positioning over a belt loop. I thought about trying to add a curve to the loop, but I didn't have anything that could be used to form it.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Links