Paintable?

Paintable?

This is a discussion on Paintable? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read several threads with info on how to make a kydex holster,mag holders etc. My question is: Can kydex be painted? if so ...

Thread: Paintable?

Paintable?

I have read several threads with info on how to make a kydex holster,mag holders etc. My question is: Can kydex be painted? if so what type of paint? any info would be great. And Merry Christmas!
    CCRIDER
    Kimber Compact CDP II, Sig 220 Carry Elite, Colt New Agent,

Sig Customer Service, Stinks!

"The more I know about people the more I like my dog."

If I were to paint kydex for any reason....I'd use the same thing I've used for years for automotive plastic trim color matching. Duplicolor Adhesion promoter, Duplicolor paint then Duplicolor clearcoat right out of the spray cans following the instructions. Use a prep wash and possibly rough the material up a bit with fine sandpaper if it's smooth.

Edit..(correction)...I apologize for the 'Duracoat' three times.......it's actually Duplicolor paint and products (vehicle color match paint) that I've used with extreme confidence on the vehicle plastics. A daily driver is subjected to a lot of elements to include chemicals, solvents, the spray car wash, temperature extremes, and UV radiation. The Duplicolor paints get my nomination for standing the test of all that + time. Again... I apologize for any misleading. I will now edit the word Duracoat to Duplicolor. Thanks for your understanding. Duracoat is actually a firearms finish.
    http://www.duplicolor.com/products/product_index.html
    Last edited by Ram Rod; December 26th, 2008 at 12:30 AM.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I agree with Ram Rod. Kydex is a plastic product and most plastic products are cast with a releasing agent to promote removal from molds. Even though it is a sheet product, a release agent is most likely used in the manufacturing. Rough the surface and use a paint specifically designed for painting plastic.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Administrator
    The method by Ram Rod seems quite sound.
    There is also a spray paint from Krylon call Fusion and you might want to try that or at least read the can and see if it might be suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The method by Ram Rod seems quite sound.
    There is also a spray paint from Krylon call Fusion and you might want to try that or at least read the can and see if it might be suitable.
    My take on the Krylon 'Fusion' paint is that it may be good for some things...I just don't know what actually. In my opinion, it's not all it's cracked up to be. A one step plastic paint? I don't think there is such a thing...yet. Granted, my one and only experience with this was painting a large plastic yard table soon after the product came out and available in stores. It may cost less than the Duplicolor paint, but I think the other prep steps should be followed including the adhesion promoter and then also the clear coat later. Just my opinion.
    Edited previous post for a mistake. Duracoat was portrayed as Duplicolor was intended. Duracoat is actually a firearms finish. Duplicolor is the paint and products you'd want.
    http://www.duplicolor.com/products/product_index.html

Administrator
    Kydex is Weird stuff.
    It's tough finding anything solvent related that will bite into it.
    Even Methylene Chloride won't really bite it.

Plus it's got that molded texture pebble grain pattern so it can only be lightly surface sanded a little bit.
    Not sure anything is really going to adhere to it with a solid "coating to substrate" bond but, your method probably has the best chance.

Much depends on if he is just painting one holster or wants to start making Kydex holsters and say...start airbrushing designs or camouflage or whatever on them.

For just doing one holster...my suggestion would be...Buy the exact Kydex color you want first and start over.

For just doing one holster...my suggestion would be...Buy the exact Kydex color you want first and start over.
    This actually sounds like the best bet. I didn't know kydex came in colors. Learn something every day.

Thanks guys, didn't know that it came in colors either, will look into that..
    CCRIDER
    Kimber Compact CDP II, Sig 220 Carry Elite, Colt New Agent,

Sig Customer Service, Stinks!

"The more I know about people the more I like my dog."

KYDEX (Calcutta Black, 0.125 in) - Materials - Interstate Plastics

Sheet Material

I like the OD green myself..Next I want to try the Desert Tan

Links