lady with disability needs holster advice (long)

This is a discussion on lady with disability needs holster advice (long) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; MNBurl - that looks good, went to your site. I looked at them before and liked their simplicity and they look easy to use, but ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lady with disability needs holster advice (long)

MNBurl - that looks good, went to your site. I looked at them before and liked their simplicity and they look easy to use, but noticed you don't show muzzle forward cant, so did not have your site bookmarked in my search. Quick Clip has reinforcement, that is the differnce between it and Minimal? When I hold my firearm in the pocket holster, up to my screen, your photo comes up almost exactly life size. I measured where the top of the clip is, to see where it would hit me when on a belt. When I hold the gun there, and sit down, it pokes me in the leg, and the gun is forced to go up at least an inch, maybe more. Since I am short, there is not much room between my waist and my leg when I am sitting. To clear my leg, I would have to move it over very close to my zipper. This is why I am asking about cant for appendix area. You mention your holsters are zero deg cant. Your website says the Quick Clip can be canted from 0 to 15 degrees, but is this only muzzle rear cant? or could you go the other way, such as a cross draw holster would use?

I can't (pardon the pun) seem to get around the idea that if I go appendix carry, without muzzle forward cant, I will be poked in the leg, or the holster and belt will ride up (quite a bit) in that spot.

Is the trick to go ahead and try it even though it doesn't seem like it will work with zero degrees? Maybe it is because I have never tried one.

2. Remove Ads

Appendix carry used to work well for me with a smaller gun, like a G19 or J-frame. But now that I'm all grown up and out, there just isn't room anymore. It's fine standing, but no way to sit comfortably. I hate getting older and bigger!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before. A while back, I had DM Bullard make me an IWB with the intention of carrying at appendix and asked him to put a slight cross draw cant on it. That keeps the barrel from poking me in the leg and it keeps the grip out of my ribs. If I can conceal a compact 1911 like this, I'd guess the same concept should work with the shorter barrel of your snubbie.

I see on his site he now makes a tuckable version with a belt clip that allows you to change the depth and cant of the holster - that's a great idea! I wish he had that options before! These are pictures from his site:

David was great to work with, emailed me frequently to make sure I got what I asked for AND he offered to refund me if it wasn't what I expected. Turn around was within a week or so at that time.

MrsFosforos - that is exactly what I had in mind. Do you ever use the holster you had made? How do you like it for appendix carry?

I like the clip, but since his clips have the part that sticks out at the bottom - I have a question. I wear a lot of sweaters. Do you think that the clip would snag the inside of the sweaters? Wondering if I need to look at loops (which I don't think I want for some reason??) or at a maker who has clips that don't have that "z" at the bottom?
    Last edited by PrimalScream; December 28th, 2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalScream View Post
    MNBurl - that looks good, went to your site. I looked at them before and liked their simplicity and they look easy to use, but noticed you don't show muzzle forward cant, so did not have your site bookmarked in my search. Quick Clip has reinforcement, that is the differnce between it and Minimal? When I hold my firearm in the pocket holster, up to my screen, your photo comes up almost exactly life size. I measured where the top of the clip is, to see where it would hit me when on a belt. When I hold the gun there, and sit down, it pokes me in the leg, and the gun is forced to go up at least an inch, maybe more. Since I am short, there is not much room between my waist and my leg when I am sitting. To clear my leg, I would have to move it over very close to my zipper. This is why I am asking about cant for appendix area. You mention your holsters are zero deg cant. Your website says the Quick Clip can be canted from 0 to 15 degrees, but is this only muzzle rear cant? or could you go the other way, such as a cross draw holster would use?

I can't (pardon the pun) seem to get around the idea that if I go appendix carry, without muzzle forward cant, I will be poked in the leg, or the holster and belt will ride up (quite a bit) in that spot.

Is the trick to go ahead and try it even though it doesn't seem like it will work with zero degrees? Maybe it is because I have never tried one.
    Good questions. I can do any cant you want. Generally cant for appendix can be -10 to +10 degrees depending on what would work for an individual.

The Minimal Clip is non re-enforced and Quick Clip is. I have Quick Clips available in stock for 0 and +15 degrees.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalScream View Post
    MrsFosforos - that is exactly what I had in mind. Do you ever use the holster you had made? How do you like it for appendix carry?

I like the clip, but since his clips have the part that sticks out at the bottom - I have a question. I wear a lot of sweaters. Do you think that the clip would snag the inside of the sweaters? Wondering if I need to look at loops (which I don't think I want for some reason??) or at a maker who has clips that don't have that "z" at the bottom?
    I use it often and it is not uncomfortable. I haven't had any problems with the clip snagging on my clothes. The edge is smooth so it doesn't hang on anything I've worn so far. I wear pullover style sweaters, polo shirts or t-shirts most of the time.

Finding a holster maker like MNBurl is offering -- who will work with you is best way to go. We have shorter torsos than most men, so IWB needs to be adjusted accordingly --> to keep the barrel from poking and also to keep the grip out of our ribs.

If you are willing to use a cover garment, OWB is much more comfortable and easier to access than most IWB AND easiest to accommodate for our womenly curves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links