Help Deciding Custom Holster (Garrity, Sparks, HBE)

This is a discussion on Help Deciding Custom Holster (Garrity, Sparks, HBE) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, so it is another new guy posting a beaten to death topic, but I have searched and read to my hearts content. Besides, who ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Deciding Custom Holster (Garrity, Sparks, HBE)

Help Deciding Custom Holster (Garrity, Sparks, HBE)

Alright, so it is another new guy posting a beaten to death topic, but I have searched and read to my hearts content. Besides, who doesn't like rehashing an old debate

Anyways, I recently purchased a CZ P-06, and I'm looking to carry it. This will be my first CC gun, and after reading a lot about holsters I'm looking to do it right the first time. I'm not sure the kydex thing would be for me, so custom leather is my route. I plan on mainly IWB carrying, with a normal T shirt or untucked polo. I can't/won't carry at my office job, but there are certain off company functions where I'll have to wear business casual (meaning tucked in shirts) that I would carry to if possible. Originally I found the VMII to be the front runner with the tuckable option, but then I read the reinforced mouth got mixed reviews and the tuckable option was mediocre. I've also found the Garrity Triskel to be an interesting option, but again not sure how the tuckable part is. The incognito from Garrity looks very nice as a dedicated IWB holster. Finally, the COMIII from HBE looks nice (but I think its just a dedicated IWB, right?).

Can anyone sway me to one model or the other? I'm kinda thinking that I should focus on regular IWB, and consider getting another tuckable holster down the road. I'm willing to take any input before I drop some cash and wait a long time for my first holster.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

If you're considering a Garrity Holster, I'd consider it again.

I placed an order with him and was quoted, "Three to four months." I cancelled my order after eight or nine months. Milt Sparks has always delivered on time for me. The same can be said for Mitch Rosen and Kramer too.

To Mr. Garrity's credit, he took no down payment up front, so I was out no money. He does make a fine holster, but when you give me a time frame I expect you to be somewhat realistic in your estimate. I had repeated Emails with Mr Garrity and he kept extending the delivery date and coming up with excuses. I finally got tired of it.

Biker

I actually read your main thread on Garrity, and it is definitely weighing on my mind. It seems Eric has turned his business around but I guess he had major issues as well. Never heard anything bad about Milt Sparks (except for the 6 month wait)

Take a look at Kramer or the "Express Line" by Mitch Rosen.

I believe both of those will be faster than Milt Sparks, and I'm a Milt Sparks fan. I have another one on order from them, Sparks that is.

Biker

I think you're on the right track by focusing on a top quality dedicated IWB holster first. If the company functions will only be occasional you can get any number of "standard" grade tuckable holsters that should work for those limited occasions. The P06 is something of a chunky gun and you may not find tucking it to be satisfactory anyway.

If you don't like the thickness of the VMII, Sparks makes the Watch Six which is thinner. But the HBE COMIII gets rave reviews and Eric is supposed to be something of a CZ holster guru, not to mention that he delivers very quickly now.

Garrity makes fantastic stuff, but Biker's right about the way overdue delivery issues and I wouldn't chance it for your first holster for a new gun. Once you've got a good holster to use, you can order a fancy show off rig from Garrity and not worry about how long it takes to get it. Your best bet with him is to order something you don't "need" right now, and then just forget about it until it shows up.

Good luck to you, and let us know what you decide.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    If you're eliminating the "tuckable" requirement, I think you're back to the VM2. Never heard of any "issue" with the reinforced mouth myself, but if the issue is thickness, you can check out the very similar HR Ltd. under "new" on their site. It eliminates the extra leather while retaining the reinforced mouth (desirable IMHO).

For tuckable and quick delivery, you might want to look at Crossbreed.

And one thing to consider, while not exactly a rare gun, the CZ isn't a 1911 or a Glock, so before deciding on a holster, might be a good idea to verify those you are considering are available for your gun. Just a thought...
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by SilverRam01 View Post
    I actually read your main thread on Garrity, and it is definitely weighing on my mind. It seems Eric has turned his business around but I guess he had major issues as well. Never heard anything bad about Milt Sparks (except for the 6 month wait)
    Yes, Eric has turned his business around and, while I have worked with a lot of holster makers, Eric is the one that is easiest to work with. He asks a lot of questions and is more than willing to answer any and all of your questions as well. He goes above and beyond to ensure that you get the holster you want. His turn around time is reasonable and his product is the highest quality.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Garrity

E-mailed Garrity and got a generic reply followed up with a more pointed Question with and willingness to place an order and never heard back from him. Ordered a Fist today.

Holster options

Honestly, if I were going to pick between the three, I would pick HBE.
    The price is great and after talking to Eric for long periods, I would go with him. I also own one of his IWB's for a Browning HP and LOVE IT!

He is an excellent craftsman and his candor is above and beyond. He is quite frank and up front. I really like that... He will also do more of that "personal touch".

In my meager opinion, if you are going to spend the bucks on a custom rig, get something that suits "you".

Have you dropped Eric or the staff at MS an email letting them know what you are basically looking for? That is a good step. I field alot of "fishing" emails and I try my best to help the person; however, I have sent some to Eric, K&D, UBG, MS, MR, etc because I couldn't do what they wanted.

Good luck to you.

Cheers.

Thanks for all the input. I emailed Garrity a couple days ago because the Triskel really struck me, still waiting on a response. Gonna shoot Eric a phone call tomorrow, and double check if Sparks has a true P-06 mold.

You are considering some great holsters. I have several VM2 holsters, as well as a Com3 and DC Special from HBE and two from Crossbreed ( Super-Tuck ). I know you mentioned you didnt care for Kydex but I found the Crossbreed the most affordable and very comfortable, turn around on my last order was 4 days from order to delivery and Mark is excellent to deal with. How can you beat a lifetime warrenty and a 2 week free trial period.
    You are right about the VM2 being a bit thick but I find them comfortable, even in horsehide. The draw back to Milt Sparks holsters is they are expensive and there is a 6 month wait, I am not sure that they are worth that inconvenience. Ahh now to HBE, in my opinion if you are looking for leather HBE is the way to go. Eric is a gentleman, his work is beautiful, turnaround time is good and he will do what is necessary to make you happy. I find I use the Crossbreed and my HBE holsters more than any other holsters I own, whether I use the Crossbreed or the HBE just depends on what gun I want to carry that day. I notice I hardly use the VM2 anymore. There is one other fairly new maker in Jacksonville Florida you may want to look at, Little Bear Custom Holsters. I have not seen his work yet but plan to visit the shop soon. Reviews seem positive so far he is reasonable on the prices.
    I hope this helps and I apologize to all for the long winded scroll.

I have a Garrity Triskel for my 4 1/4" 1911, and it's by far the holster I wear the most. It's very comfortable and very well made. It still looks almost new after a year of use.

It took about 4 months for me to get it last year. I ordered it in July, 2007 and received it in November. I was expecting the wait to be much longer, but I wasn't about to complain. I would guess that the type of gun will have an impact on the amount of time it takes to be made, as the more common the gun is the easier it is for the holster maker to find a mold or a gun to use as a mold. Commander-sized 1911's seem to be fairly common these days, I'm not so sure about a P-06.

When I ordered my Triskel, I sent him at least 2 e-mails before I got a response, and I basically begged him to make it. I said I didn't care how long it took, just that I wanted it eventually. I was expecting it to be a year, based on reports from others, so I was very surprised when he told me it was done after 4 months.

I typically wear my shirt untucked, so I have the standard clips inside the holster. When I do have to tuck in my shirt, I take those clips off and put on Velcro clips. The Velcro clips won't fit inside the holster because of a length difference, and although I suppose I could modify them, I'm not going to.

Also, I don't believe Comp-Tac makes the standard clips anymore, so if they break, I don't know where I'd get more.

I also have a K&D Dakota Defender that I ordered and received at almost the same time. It's a very well made holster, I would have to say the workmanship is probably as nice as my Garrity, but because of the smaller size it isn't quite as comfortable for me, so I hardly ever wear it. I'm considering buying holsters for my 5" 1911's form K&D as well, once I get motivated to do it.

I've tried many, but none are more comfortable than the Brommeland MaxCon V. If you just carry your gun all day, it would be my first choice. That said, the reinforced mouth of the Sparks VM2 is a tremendous benefit for me. I practice out of the holster quite often, and have never had the VM2 fail in holstering. Every single-thickness leather holster has gotten soft over time, and did not maintain the standards I want for frequent holster training. The Sparks provides great comfort and has never failed to accept holstering.

There is a new holstermaker that is quite interesting. His name is Rocky from Pure Kustom. He's designed a whole new line and is quite artistic. He makes what appears to be a solid basic holster, plus adds custom designs and colors.
    http://www.purekustom.com/purekustomholsters_new.htm
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Personally I really like TT gunleather. I have a TT for my Glock 27. Not sure if he does CZ's but definitely worth checking out.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

I know its not on your list; but I love my UBG holster. I think Nate at UBG does a great job. He pulled out "christmas magic" for me this year. A wonderful holster at a very good price. IMO
    Everybody is born right handed,
    But only the gifted have learned to overcome it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links