Sharkskin?

This is a discussion on Sharkskin? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by acparmed My only problem with spending that kind of cash on exotic skins is that the holster is supposed to be concealed, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharkskin?

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    My only problem with spending that kind of cash on exotic skins is that the holster is supposed to be concealed, why spend that much money on something no one is ever going to see.

I'm more into function than appearance when it comes to leather gear.

Exactly what I'm thinking. It might be different if I belonged to a small shooting club where open carry wasn't so taboo - and everyone knows everyone else (open carry is legal here but not recommended). That much of an investment I'd want to show it off a little ... not that cowhide ISN'T an investment but, you know.
    Jack

2. Remove Ads

Come on guys! It's no different than buy nice silk underwear for yourself.

Did I say that out loud?

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar

Wink I agree

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    My only problem with spending that kind of cash on exotic skins is that the holster is supposed to be concealed, why spend that much money on something no one is ever going to see.

I'm more into function than appearance when it comes to leather gear.
    I agree adding the extra exotic skins to any IWB holster is done just for the person wearing it.

If it's truly for C.Carry no one other then you should ever see you'r holster and weapon.

But they do make pretty pictures to share on the Net.

O.K.,
    Here's some info on sharkskin. It is very durable and scuff/abrasion resistant. A few years ago there were some crappy skins coming out of Mexico that were hard and stiff , but recently the hides coming through have been very nicely textured and supple. A good hide has a slight rubbery feel to it, though there is very little stretch. It is not sandpaper rough like an actual live shark. On average it runs about 4 oz. thick, which means it has to be laminated over a base leather such as cowhide or horsehide for a foundation. I personally think it is one of the most durable exotics, even more-so than elephant; and much less expensive than elephant (though the price on shark did just go up some). My personally made sharkskin belt is about 8 years old and is worn daily, and still lacks any scuffs or signs of wear. If you were to look at it and asked to guess, you would probably say it was well worn for a month or two. And shark covered straps on my In-Cognito or similar VM2 design will long outlast plain leather ones. With some of the other exotics, it is strctly a pride of ownership, 'look what I have" type of thing, but with sharkskin you are getting a more durable holster. I made one of my Stead-fast belt scabbards in full coverage shark for a Drug Task Force officer back east, and he contacted me about six months later stating he had been involved in an incident and dove for cover in an asphalt and gravel parking lot, sliding on the holster, and it was completely undamaged. (I recommended shark to him because when he ordered he stated he did a lot of motorcycle riding and wanted something that would hold up). So yes, there is more to it than just aesthetics if it is a hard-use everyday carry holster.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

I have an IWB holster (it's going on 26 yrs now) for my H&K P9S 45ACP..........I got it with the gun, and it still looks real good...........feels a bit gritty, but it stays put while the gun an dholster are in my pants..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar

Shark skin

Another little tidbit about Shark skin. Lots of "fine" furniture and cabnet makers use it for finishing sanding.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by oregonshooter
    Come on guys! It's no different than buy nice silk underwear for yourself.
    Thats different. It carries the #1 assault weapon in the World!!

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Mark and others hit it on the head....shark may have some functional purpose...abrasion resistance etc. But 99% of the time...its for the "ooohhh aaahhh" factor.........:D
    Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen
    ...its for the "ooohhh aaahhh" factor....

Like silk underwear?

my sharkskin belt and holster came from Rafters Gunleather, at the time the price was $65 for each. really a good deal too. the belt is needing to be replaced, been 4 years since i strapped it around my massive gut. but the holster is still holding up really good.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well if you expect sharkskin to give you the same.....um, er..."feeling" as silk underwear....then your carrying the gun in the wrong place!
    Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spacemanspiff
    my sharkskin belt and holster came from Rafters Gunleather, at the time the price was $65 for each. really a good deal too. the belt is needing to be replaced, been 4 years since i strapped it around my massive gut. but the holster is still holding up really good.
    Have you contacted RafterS re the belt? In talking to them they said that they reconditon the sharkskin, and it sometimes looks better than new.

Jerry

no, but i doubt reconditioning will make it as firm as it was new. besides, i've gotten a bit fatter, and will need a larger belt now.

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanspiff
    no, but i doubt reconditioning will make it as firm as it was new. besides, i've gotten a bit fatter, and will need a larger belt now.
    I prefer to believe that my belt just shrunk. Someday I'm going to invent a belt stretcher and make a damned fortune!
    Jack

Aus
    There's nothing more frustrating than buying a nice cowhide belt then rubbing your back against something sharp or changing your oil lying on the driveway or your dog jumping up... they all scratch the finish real good. If you have the sharkskin or elephant overlay you never have to worry about it again. Problem is, few belt makers use the right quality leather and the belts get too soft to soon.
    Shark on a holster? It makes nice trim but to me does not seem necessary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links