Pure Kustom Review

Pure Kustom Review

This is a discussion on Pure Kustom Review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently got a new Kimber so of course I needed some new leather. I had seen Pure Kustom's work and liked what I saw. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pure Kustom Review

Pure Kustom Review

I recently got a new Kimber so of course I needed some new leather. I had seen Pure Kustom's work and liked what I saw. I also like supporting people who support Defensive Carry.

I contacted Rocky and he seemed genuinely concerned that I got the right holster for my carry style and purpose. We decided on his "Black Ops" so it could be worn inside or outside the waistband. I believe Rocky said I was his 3rd customer and I got the first "Black Ops" and mag carrier ever made. (May become a collectors item once he get's famous)

There were a few bugs but they were easily remedied. Rocky cuts his belt loops very close to the belt size. I wear a Wilderness belt with the polymer liner, because of that the loops were very difficult to get on the belt. (The holster and mag pouch fit perfect on other 1.5" belts) the Wilderness is just extra thick because of the hook and loop (especially where the holster would ride). Like I said it was an easy fix, I was impressed with the level of customer service Rocky gave. He called several times during the process. I was under the weather and a little nervous about messing up such fine leather so it took a lot longer than it really needed to. Once I got around to it I'm guessing all the bugs were worked out in less than 5 minutes. Not bad at all for a first build of a new design! By the way, Rocky now has a Wilderness belt with polymer insert, so let him know when you order.

Now I'm working on breaking the holster itself in. Drawing until my arm hurts. The holster is very stiff, Rocky has a photo of his holster withstanding 10 pounds, I can attest that this is true. It's really a well thought out design, the pistol is held very close to the body without actually digging in. The cant on the OWB option seems just right for me, keeps the butt angled up just enough to reduce the chance of printing. The IWB option offers a lot of options as far as cant goes, you can even play a little with depth (which I like).

I've very satisfied with the quality, look and feel of Rocky's leather and am already contemplating more purchases.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Man, that looks great. Do the belt loops have 'snaps'? Difficult to tell from the pic. He's local to me as well and the turnaround can't be beat compared to other custom holster makers. But I already have another holster incoming and am trying to resist the urge to buy another before I try the first.

Rocky, any plans for other leather colors (i.e. dark brown)?
    HK45c V1

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Very nice looking rig, gun and holster. The stitching looks nice and neat. Good work PK.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    Man, that looks great. Do the belt loops have 'snaps'?
    Stainless screws on the belt loops.

Holdcard

4th Man Ministries

Looks like several holster makers are making the combination OWB/IWB design. I am wondering the same thing, are those belt loops riveted or snaps, or yankee screws? I should be getting my "Thunderbird" from K&D any day now. It is his combination holster,

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Looks like you were typing as I was, how about a pic of the other side?
    BTW, love that Kimber and I'm not a 45ACP fan!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Great looking leather, just an observation here, I see that your kimber is cocked and locked in the first picture and in the other pics the safety looks to be off.
    Give me my guns and my right to keep and bear arms, and they can keep their change.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Nice looking rig, the quality really shows. As soon as I get back to work, I want to get him to make me one in that style (but having seen his Marine version of it, I am seriously considering some type of logo/graphics if he'll do a "one off" Custom~ hey, it's called "Pure Custom", my guess is he'll be up for anything within reason).

Nice looking Raptor too! If they made 'em with the series 70 style firing components, I'd buy one in a heart beat!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by J man View Post
    Great looking leather, just an observation here, I see that your kimber is cocked and locked in the first picture and in the other pics the safety looks to be off.

You are correct.

It was not loaded for any of the photos. I didn't catch it myself until I was looking at the photos on the screen. Unfortunately by that time all the photo equipment was put away and I didn't feel like dragging it all out again.

Holdcard

4th Man Ministries

Can you post some pics of the mag carrier?

I'll pull the equipment out tomorrow. When I was taking the other photos I completely spaced the mag carrier. It's is the same mag carrier thats in the pictures on Rocky's site.

I'll get it from some different angles for you.

NCHornet, The bottom photo is of the back of the holster, did you want some other views? I guess I'm taking requests at this point since I'll be setting up again.

(Small apartment lots of equipment. Light tent, 2 lamps and a tripod. Kind of need to rearrange the front room to make it all work.)

Holdcard

4th Man Ministries

Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    You are correct.

It was not loaded for any of the photos. I didn't catch it myself until I was looking at the photos on the screen. Unfortunately by that time all the photo equipment was put away and I didn't feel like dragging it all out again.

Holdcard
    I understand about not wanting to drag out the equipment again, especially after reading in one of your posts as to how much equipment you have and that it takes some effort to set it up. Two things made me point this out, the first to see if my awareness was right, and second to find out if it was switched off while in the holster or if you had un holstered and reholstered while setting up the different shots?
    Give me my guns and my right to keep and bear arms, and they can keep their change.

I'm an amateur photographer. There were probably over 200 photos taken trying different lighting settings, camera settings etc. Also I was doing photos of the Kimber itself. Digital is very forgiving, you just delete it.

I have this habit of clearing a firearm every time I touch it. So every time (almost) I moved it, re holstered it etc. The slide got racked. Well, you have to take off the safety to rack the slide, I just didn't put it back on during that portion of the shoot. Problem was, those were the best photos so they are what got kept. I guess in my mind I knew it was clear so putting the safety back on (for show) wasn't at the top of my list.

This is how I learn, by screwing up. The gun was totally safe, but my end product did not turn out the way I wanted it to. Details, details, details. Something I'll try to keep in mind for future shoots <--Camera shoots that is.

And finally to set your mind at ease, I took the safety off at several points during the photo shoot. During the times I've worn the holster around the house to break it in, the safety has never moved. When I holster, feeling for the safety position is second nature.

Holdcard

4th Man Ministries

Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    I'm an amateur photographer. There were probably over 200 photos taken trying different lighting settings, camera settings etc. Also I was doing photos of the Kimber itself. Digital is very forgiving, you just delete it.

I have this habit of clearing a firearm every time I touch it. So every time (almost) I moved it, re holstered it etc. The slide got racked. Well, you have to take off the safety to rack the slide, I just didn't put it back on during that portion of the shoot. Problem was, those were the best photos so they are what got kept. I guess in my mind I knew it was clear so putting the safety back on (for show) wasn't at the top of my list.

This is how I learn, by screwing up. The gun was totally safe, but my end product did not turn out the way I wanted it to. Details, details, details. Something I'll try to keep in mind for future shoots <--Camera shoots that is.

And finally to set your mind at ease, I took the safety off at several points during the photo shoot. During the times I've worn the holster around the house to break it in, the safety has never moved. When I holster, feeling for the safety position is second nature.

Holdcard
    I'm the same way, I always check my firearms when I pick them up, weather on my 1911, glock 22, or any long arms. You were the one handling the firearm and you knew that it was safe and that is the important thing.

Glad to here that the safety never moved in the holster when you have been wearing it, and feeling for the safety is second nature for me as well when holstering.

Follow Up Requests Part A

Mag pouch photos.

4th Man Ministries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links