BlackHawk Serpa

This is a discussion on BlackHawk Serpa within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I got a G23 a few days back, which is a great firearm btw. I am in love with the .40 S&W round. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BlackHawk Serpa

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

BlackHawk Serpa

So I got a G23 a few days back, which is a great firearm btw. I am in love with the .40 S&W round. I had originally picked up a fobus padle holster to hold me over until I can get some good or atleast decent leather coming this way. I ended up returning it b/c I did NOT like it at all. Well the guys at Lone Wolf (local shop here in North Phx) took it back and gave me full store credit. I chose to pick up a blackhawk serpa.

The bottom line-

Black Hawk Serpa is an awesome little holster. It locks into place with a rettention button, but the best part is when I go to draw the gun rests perfectly in my hand and my index finger is extended to hit the release button which rests along the slide as I draw it. Great little holster for the money (about 30 bucks). Holds pretty tight to my body too, so I don't have to go too crazy with cover garments.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

I wind up wearing my Serpa with my 5" 1911 (cut to make fit the full rail) more of the time than any of my leather. It keeps the gun just far enough off my hip not to cut into me when I sit, but with the right clothing is still easy enough to hide.

+1 thanks for the review. Enjoy the new gun!
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Have one for my 642. Going to get one for my 411 also.

Lead Moderator
    I have found the paddle mount rides tighter that the belt slide option. I own 2 holsters and really like them.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Where did you find the Black Hawk Serpa locally?

Muk

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    PM sent runamuk
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I use a BH Serpa as well for my 1911, although mine is the L1 Serpa (no button), apprently an elite firearms training school in the US has banned the L2 and L3 Serpas due to multiple accidental discharges when drawing, when pressure is applied to the button the finger can slip into the trigger gaurd and over the trigger on the upwards pull.

These are trained people as well no noobs, ie (LEO, Special Ops and Security Contractors).

I tried this at home by pressing my finger where the serpa button would be and sure enough in a fast draw with pressure applied the finger slips right onto the trigger and pulls it slightly.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Administrator
    Have you checked Ebay? There are always at least 300 of them listed.

jfl
    I've always wondered if you could draw with the weak hand in case of need ?
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by heylin View Post
    I use a BH Serpa as well for my 1911, although mine is the L1 Serpa (no button), apprently an elite firearms training school in the US has banned the L2 and L3 Serpas due to multiple accidental discharges when drawing, when pressure is applied to the button the finger can slip into the trigger gaurd and over the trigger on the upwards pull.

These are trained people as well no noobs, ie (LEO, Special Ops and Security Contractors).

I tried this at home by pressing my finger where the serpa button would be and sure enough in a fast draw with pressure applied the finger slips right onto the trigger and pulls it slightly.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but when I release and draw from the Serpa, my index finger is along the slide. jfl, weak hand draw is possible, but is kind of awkward, IMO.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    I've always wondered if you could draw with the weak hand in case of need ?
    I have and do practice this move. I use my middle finger to hit the release and draw the gun upside down (in my hand).

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but when I release and draw from the Serpa, my index finger is along the slide. jfl, weak hand draw is possible, but is kind of awkward, IMO.
    My finger is along the slide release during the draw(LH shooter). Yes the weak hand draw is awkward, this is where practice helps........ some.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

There's also the possibility of the button being jammed and you being unable to draw your gun, especially if you fall to the ground on small gravel. I've personally seen a small rock get stuck behind the button, and I'm there are other scenarios which could do the same.

I don't like something that keeps the weapon inaccessible in the event of a failure.

I have a Serpa for my M9. Its a great holster. However,it doesn't ride too high so it tends to flop around sometimes. (btw I do have a proper fitting gun belt). I recently purchased a Fobus holster off ebay and I have to say I actually like the cheap Fobus one better. It rides higher and distributes the weight of my gun better. It is also a thinner flatter design then the Serpa so it stays nice and flat against my body and conceals better.
    The cons of the Fobus is it is a cheaply made holster and won't hold up as well as the Serpa.Also while the paddle stays put inside my pants,someone could very easily remove the whole unit with a minimal amount of effort,where as I actually had to drop my pants to take off the Serpa.
    The only thing that concerns me about the Serpa is as AgentX stated,something getting jammed up behind the release button. I have heard stories of people having to cut their Serpas off of their guns because the release button got jammed.

I like the Blackhawk Carbon Fiber Holster

for my G17. Use it for draw firing, range work, and combat training

You might want to rethink that particular Blackhawk holster, tns0038. (It being a carbon fiber high wall for a G17):

http://dealers.blackhawk.com/images/...call122007.pdf
    God, country, family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links