Spare Mags bullet forward?

This is a discussion on Spare Mags bullet forward? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, Researching what I would like. I've chosen my holster (VM2) but have a ? about the mag holders. It seems they are all bullets ...

Thread: Spare Mags bullet forward?

Hi,
    Researching what I would like. I've chosen my holster (VM2) but have a ? about the mag holders. It seems they are all bullets forward, but when practicing it seems more intuitive to have them to the rear. When pulled out and brought upright, they are bullet forward and ready to be inserted. It seems awkward to me to have to rotate them. Is there a special technique? Looking for advice and insight on this.
    Thanks,
    Jim

For me? Yes. Weak side (left) spare magazines are bullets forward. When I carry, or in competition. It's just more natural for me and it's also a habit. Practice and train as you see fit, and what works well for you. I guess it all depends on how you grasp that spare mag and if you need to look instead of feel what you are doing. Practice? Do it in the dark and without looking. That will pretty much tell you the best way for you. Be it known that I'm a right handed person and I'm looking at things in that right-handed sort of way....and just remember to keep that muzzle pointed at the target or in a safe direction while doing the reload.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by boda65 View Post
    Hi,
    Researching what I would like. I've chosen my holster (VM2) but have a ? about the mag holders. It seems they are all bullets forward, but when practicing it seems more intuitive to have them to the rear. When pulled out and brought upright, they are bullet forward and ready to be inserted. It seems awkward to me to have to rotate them. Is there a special technique? Looking for advice and insight on this.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Having the bullets forward allow you to index much easier/and faster.

The technique is:

Come straight down on the magazing with your weak hand. Picture using a Manual transmission in a car.

Your Pointy finger runs along the front of the magazine, pull the magazine straight up.

The rest should be self explanatory.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by boda65 View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks,
    Jim
    I thought the same way as you, until I noticed that it was easier to conceal my mags if they were facing frontwards. I may just be me but I noticed that the lip on my M&P mags would print more when they were facing back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Come straight down on the magazine with your weekhand. Picture using a Manual transmission in a car.

Your Pointy finger runs along the front of the magazine, pull the magazine straight up.
    Doh! That makes more sense. The way I was trying it was much wimpier and would be more likely to fumble or drop them. Thanks for the advice.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Wherever I end up holding mags (chest rig, weak side belt, strong side belt, strong side thigh, etc) for rifle or pistol, I just hold it and load it in the weapon the way I reload fastest. Then I hold it that way and make a natural movement to put it in the mag pouch, and that's how I store them.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I carry with bullets pointed backwards and order left handed (I'm a righty) mag pouches. It is a much more natural movement for me to reload with them facing backwards. I know plenty of people that carry this way. Use what is natural for you.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

I carry with bullets UP, baseplate forward.
    (horizontal mag holder)

- OS

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    "Bullets forward" is the accepted correct way to carry vertical mags. It's sort of like driving on the right side of the road in the States. You can drive on the left side of the road, but it usually makes people look at you funny.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Bullets foward.As I draw with the left hand's palm on the base plate, my index finger goes over the top of the mag to insure I have a loaded mag. I then turn my wrist just a little,like I am looking at my watch,rotating the wrist as I bring my left hand up to the mag well and slam the mag home with the palm of my hand.Takes a little practice but worth it.

VIP Member
    The super-cool-tactical phrase is "bullets towards the center-line of the body." As posted, index your, well, index finger along the front of the mag when you draw it - this will allow you to "point" the mag into the mag well, which is very helpful when you aren't looking at your hands (which you shouldn't be - you should be looking at the threat or scanning for more/new threats).

Other techniques may work for people, but this is the technique taught by FBI/DEA/DSS/USSS and pretty much everyone else I know...

ETA: Whatever you do, DON'T do like one guy I know (who should know better): keep one mag facing one way and one mag facing the other way. Yeah, it looks neat-o symetrical in the pouch, but it is a certainty that, whichever mag you draw under stress, it will be facing the opposite way from what you expected...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

+1 On bullets forward.

For great reloading tips check out You Tube keyword "Army pro speed reload"

They have some great tips for quickly and reliably reloading magazines.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Links