Pocket Holsters - Front Pocket vs Rear Pocket Holsters

This is a discussion on Pocket Holsters - Front Pocket vs Rear Pocket Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a Ruger LCP for Christmas. So far, I am carrying it in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. It is pretty discreet but prints ...

Thread: Pocket Holsters - Front Pocket vs Rear Pocket Holsters

Pocket Holsters - Front Pocket vs Rear Pocket Holsters

I got a Ruger LCP for Christmas. So far, I am carrying it in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. It is pretty discreet but prints a little in my front pocket. I want a holster that will not print at all (as a gun) if carried in my front pocket.

For that reason, it seems like a K&D Pocket Defender 2-in-1 or a Meco rear Pocket Holster would work well. These have the cover to give a flat print that looks like a wallet or other such object.

However, it seems like all of the holsters with a cover are marketed for rear pocket use. In the case of the K&D holster, it appears that you are supposed to remove the cover before use in a front pocket.

Is there a specific reason for this? Does the cover cause problems if used in a front pocket carry? Has anyone carried in a front pocket with the cover in place? Is there a better solution out there that I am just not aware of. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Not a front pocket solution (or even a 'quick' rear pocket one), but if you require absolutely discreet carry then this might work for you.

BAI CUSTOM LEATHER BAI KELTEC P32,P3AT,LCP BLK RH BAI KELTEC P32,P3AT,LCP BLK RH

I have one that I use occasionally for cargo pocket carry when a very low profile is needed.

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I have a K&D Pocket Defender 2-in-1 for my PM9. It's a great, very well made holster especially for the price. Yes, IMO, you should remove the panel for front pocket carry. The panel is actually a very firm material that may make front pocket carry uncomfortable unless you have some very big, loose pockets. It's great to attach for rear pocket carry to help with printing. I like the holster a lot. I've also heard good things about the Meco holsters but can offer no personal opinion.

Here's some other ones I've been reading good things about:
    Pocket Concealment Systems, Inc.: Pocket Holsters

I may give the 'Harpoon' a try with my PM9.

The key to pocket carry is the proper cut of trousers and pockets. Find a holster gun combination you like then learn to dress around it. I carry a J Frame in my weakside front pocket as my on duty BUG and often carry the same way off duty. I usually wear pleated docker style trousers at work. I often wear relaxed fit Levi's jeans off duty. I've been pocket carrying a pistol for over 30 years No one has ever commented about the strange buldge in my front pocket. Any good holster maker with the proper mold can build you a pocket holster with a removable shield.

Randy
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by lmbc2 View Post
    In the case of the K&D holster, it appears that you are supposed to remove the cover before use in a front pocket.
    Oops, nobody told me! I always use the panel with my K&D holsters in the front pocket.

Or are you referring to when the panel is on the inside next to your leg? Well, that might interfere with your draw... I don't know. I never tried it that way.

I'm not sure I can explain this briefly, but I'm wondering if you are trying to use the panel in a front and back pocket on the same side. If that is the case, I can see where the panel MIGHT not be convenient to leave in place.

I ordered my K&D pocket panel holsters intending to use them in the front pocket. If I wanted to use them in the rear pockets, I would switch sides, meaning a holster I use in the left front may also be used in the right rear. The panel will be on the outside in each instance. Conversly, a holster made for a right front pocket could be used panel-out in the left rear.

Anyway, that's what I had in mind when I ordered mine. I didn't want to be unsnapping the panel a lot because I read one review where a guy did that, and eventually the panel wouldn't stay snapped.

There was probably a way to explain that with 1/3 the words, but I'm too tired to reconstruct it. I hope it makes sense.

My K&D holsters are quality holsters and do their job well, but for versatility, I like the Desantis Super Fly. It has a panel that is attached by velcro, and you can switch sides easily. I bought the one for Ruger's SP-101, but I can also carry a j-frame in it. It isn't rigid fitted to a gun mold so more than one type can be used with it.

The downside to the Super Fly is that it is bigger than K&D's, and it won't fit in small pockets. But the full panel makes it very discreet. It looks like a wallet in your pocket, I suppose. And you can always remove the panel and use without.

Anyway, lots of choice. Keep on filling up that holster box.

Ron
    I pocket carry a S&W 642 snub nose revolver in a Mika pocket holster in my right front pocket. Very comfortable and no printing with all kinds of shorts and pants, except for jeans, which I don't wear.

But, I have a question about carrying in a back pocket. How does that work when you sit? Won't you be sitting on the gun?
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    But, I have a question about carrying in a back pocket. How does that work when you sit? Won't you be sitting on the gun?
    A friend of mine used to carry a Keltec 380 in his back pocket. I did a few times, but I'm not a fan of it. Yes, I was sitting on it. I think a j-frame would be very uncomfortable, but I'm only guessing. I'm not a big fan of back pocket carry for myself, but I'm sure it works for some.

VIP Member
    FWIW, everyone's mileage will vary-- I carry a larger 380 in my front pocket without printing concerns. I use an Andrews holster. There is no way anyone can tell what is in there.

I don't like rear pocket carry either for my wallet or a weapon. As Grady mentioned, there is the issue of sitting on 'em. I also think they are in a more vulnerable position for pick-pockets when in a rear position.

When I first got my first Guardian I thought I wanted to rear pocket carry so I ordered a Ron Graham combo holster, I think it was called a Cookie, it has the removable flap to look like a wallet in the rear. Well it didn't take but 10 min and few attempts at drawing from the rear pocket to know this mode of carry wasn't for me. Drawing was very awkward and not fast at all. I am sure it could become easier with practice, but it just wasn't for me. Right front pocket is where it has ridden ever since. I tried keeping the flap on and it did work but it was hard getting in some pants and to be honest I saw no reason for it. People really aren't looking there, and with so many gadgets people are carrying even if it prints nobody would think it is a gun. I lost the flap and actually switched to a Nemisis pocket holster and I have used it daily ever since. BTW. K&D is now offering a similar material as the Nemisis for the outside of their pocket holsters. Check it out!! My next pocket holster will be from Kevin.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Links