Leather or Kydex Holster ?

This is a discussion on Leather or Kydex Holster ? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am fairly new to the forum, but have done a lot of research here. Everyone on here has a lot of great experience and ...

Thread: Leather or Kydex Holster ?

Leather or Kydex Holster ?

I am fairly new to the forum, but have done a lot of research here. Everyone on here has a lot of great experience and info to share. I am looking for a good IWB holster. I have looked at pretty much every holster that I can find and have decided to try one of these. I cannot decide on an all leather K&D Dakota, K&D Thunderbird Defender or a kydex/leather Crossbreed. I am leaning toward the Thunderbird because it can go IWB or OWB. What are the + and - of these? Does the kydex wear on the gun?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I think kydex is a little harder on the gun than leather. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Kydex can not collapse or crush, and usually has adjustable retention. Leather can stretch some, crush, collapse, and otherwise deform if you mistreat it. This can cause problems with reholstering and retention, but if you take care of your leather holster, it will take care of you.

Some people like leather because of the smell, the craftsmanship, and the feel. I don't like the feel of IWB kydex. I like leather since it forms to me somewhat and feels a little softer. My OWB is kydex, but I rarely use it. Really it's personal preferance. Try a few out if you can and see what floats your boat. Before I bought my first holster, I was dead set on kydex...now I'm a leather fan.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Lead Moderator
    Any material will wear on a guns finish. Kydex tends to wear on edges or certain points , where leather may wear over a larger area of the gun. For IWB , comfort is definitely a concern. Most seem to prefer leather or a leather back (such as the crossbreed).
    Finally , holsters are a personal choice. Just because a model works for one, it may not fit others as well. Thus we all wind up with a box full of holsters .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

For comfort leather has it all over kydex. The hybrids are a good compromise if you insist on a kydex holster but want leather feel. My old rule of thumb was Glock=Kydex and 1911=Leather. Now that I've got a couple of Glocks, they're all in leather.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Links