Kydex fan coming over to the leather side

This is a discussion on Kydex fan coming over to the leather side within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been a big fan of kydex holsters since I first bought a Blackhawk Serpa for the XD. I've never really thought about buying a ...

Thread: Kydex fan coming over to the leather side

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I've been a big fan of kydex holsters since I first bought a Blackhawk Serpa for the XD. I've never really thought about buying a leather belt holster for any of my handguns until now. I realized that my Serpa holster did not conceal well while carrying my XD45. I needed something that would make the gun be close to my body, so it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. I decided to try a leather holster, and knowing Blackhawk makes excellent holsters and other gun related stuff, and I wanted to stick with OWB, I decided on the Blackhawk Askins Compact holster.

I now see why so many members here love leather holsters. I have a Galco shoulder rig for my XD and it is also super comfortable to wear. Leather on the belt is no exception either. When I use my Serpa, the gun's grip hits chairs and wall corners, and I cringe thinking someone is going to know I am packing heat. With this new rig I have, I don't have that issue. The only issue I have is the slide sticks out a little bit, but under my cover garments, it could be easily mistaken for a fold in the shirt, or a cell phone.

I am now a leather convert!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Welcome to the dark side. Leather can be addictive
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

You got production leather. Now that you understand the difference treat yourself to some custom leather. There is a difference.

I use both, but lean more towards the leather. I just like it better for the most part.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I like leather better too. It seems to conform better to your body then plastic, making it more concealable. Some can pull off concealing the plastic easily but it's not the best choice for everyone. I agree with the comment to treat yourself to some custom leather. A good custom piece rocks!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Yeah I see some really nice custom leather holsters on this forum. My box-o-holsters is just getting started LOL!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Yep, I started on Kydex also. I remember writing posts on how comfortable Kydex was and then I tried a leather holster. I never looked back. All my Kydex is pretty much gone. I have a couple paddle holsters laying around in Kydex but never seem to use them.

I was pretty heavy into kydex for about three years, started coming out of it last year.

Kydex (real thermoformed kydex, not plastic, not brittle uncle mike) has some good qualities - total weather resistance, thinness, simplicity. It doesn't retain grit and has excellent speed of presentation. I had a couple favorite makers and I was hooked.

The C-Clips broke on all but one of my kydex IWB's. Now granted, a C-Clip is there for convenience not durability. When you take that option to understand that even if the c-clip is metal it can be bent too far. There's only so much of being "careful" that a klutz like me can do and eventually I take the holster off too carelessly or too quickly and SNAP - oh crap there goes my c-clip, ruining another kydex.

Leather also has some great qualities. It's beautiful, nostalgic, comfortable. It has a natural feel. Best of all, no matter how klutzy I am or how hasty, I have yet to wreck one of my leather holsters or break one of the belt snaps. I buy them, they seem to stand the test of time and IMHO they are the more solid investment.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    Welcome to the dark side. Leather can be addictive
    Man aint that the truth. I have a MTAC and think I'm basically covered for a kydex option. Great, functional, comfortable holster but not too exciting. Spock would love it. I also have several leather holsters and want more. Everytime I see a nice custom leather holster I want one even though I don't need it. Kydex doesn't do that to me. I guess Kirk would be more into leather. Now I know what my wife feels like going through the shoe or purse aisle at the mall.

Links