Fanny Pack vs Safepacker

This is a discussion on Fanny Pack vs Safepacker within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read many people saying that fanny packs (at least for men) are almost equivalent to OC. Do you think the same is true ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fanny Pack vs Safepacker

Fanny Pack vs Safepacker

I have read many people saying that fanny packs (at least for men) are almost equivalent to OC.

Do you think the same is true of the Safepacker:
    - Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC

I know they both look completely goofy. And the Safepacker is essentially a man purse. But, I've carried a fanny pack for years (with no gun) in order to carry Epipens due to my kids' severe allergies to peanuts and nuts. I just switched to the Safepacker because I was safely able to carry both with easy access. I got the tan version with a fanny style waistband.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Don't know, but I've carried my black one into a store (looks sort of like a day planner to the casual onlooker I suspect). No one gave it a second look.

But I like mine in a few other instances. I'll often keep it on the seat next to me when driving alone (car gun inside, primary still on person). And with the shoulder sling it makes a great grab and go package for the Desert Warrior with a mounted Surefire light and a spare mag (say in a bump in the night situation where I may grab a shotgun as a primary). I think they've got some great uses. Really do wonder about the color effecting what the see though.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

"Goofy" is in the eyes of the beholder. If it meets YOUR needs, then who's to say that it's not for you? It may not be for them, but doesn't mean it's wrong for others. I have a Desantis Gunny Sack Junior, for my S&W J-Frame 642 AND my Glock 26, which I use during the summer and sometimes if I know I will be in and out of areas which do not permit legal carry. It gives me a quick and easy way of removing and storing my weapon and then rearming when able to do so. I can't see how either the Gunny Sack OR your Safepacker could be considered "almost OC". That's a strange observation from anyone. Besides..."ole folks" look "goofy" in most anything according to the younguns and especially in a fanny pack carry. Just call me "GOOFY", but don't press the issue if you're a BG. JMHO....
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I don't like the fanny pack or the safepacker. I do not feel comfortable with my gun in anything but a good holster on my hip. I do use a smartcarry from time to time but even that is better than either a safepacker or fanny pack.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have carried into many different stores with a sling on it. No one gives me a second look.

jfl
    I don't care if I look goofy; I probably do anyway.
    I use a fanny pack occasionally; summer in South Florida restricts carry options. I am not terribly fond of it but it is better than nothing.
    Don't worry about being "made", my few experiences of OC (where legal) showed me that nobody pays attention...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

A good friend of mine has a Safepacker and I was very impressed by it. I was going to get one for hiking when I lived in Adirondack region of NY then I moved to Kansas City and let's just say there aren't many place to hike around here that aren't paved.

I don't think there is a better hiking/backpacking/woods holster than the Safepacker. Of course being designed for high angle search and rescue teams that's no surprise. It has great protection from the elements, quick access, and it doesn't scream gun to the crunchie people you run into hiking. It also has the benefit of being a very nice bedside and car holster. I like that color you got for street use.

I like fanny packs in any color but black although if I had to have black I would go with leather over the synthetics. Something about the black synthetic ones just seem more holsterish/tacticool to me. Maybe it't that most of the time I see such a wide band of black around someone it's usually a cop's duty belt. Roma makes a really nice brown leather fanny pack that I really like. Other than that the bright colored synthetic ones would be my choice. They say "dork" or "fashion trainwreck" not "gun" and I can live with that (and it's probably true in my case even without the fanny pack :)).

If it works and fits your wardrobe then they can be a good method. I've wanted a Safepacker for a while for my Security Six. When I order it will be the same color you got. I think I will email them though and suggest they make that color available with brown webbing and a brown leather patch instead of black.

Please give us a report on it after you have lived with it for a while. I'm curios what you think of it for around town use.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.-H. L. Mencken

I have a safepacker & its great in or out of a car etc check out their web site as they have added new camo pattern safepacker holsters WWW. THE WILDERNESS.COM

When I was doing Street Photography, I used to carry a camera and long lense in a Fanny Pack with my pistol in the back. No one gave me a second look because they saw me with a camera, no one ever thought I had a gun in there.

I have a safepacker.

At first I had mixed feelings. I thought it would be perfect for out in the woods, however it sometimes proved to be a hindrance (compared to other holsters) with all the other hunting equipment. I have used it when I head to the range. Counts as CC, and puts another firearm ready at hand. I use next to my bedside (easy slip on option to take an extra mag when I'm in my boxers). I have yet to use it for every day CC. I have thought about it a few times, then change my mind and go with the IWB holster or easyer CC firearm.

So, like any holster, it provides options, and because of that, it is valuable to me.

If I were to state the 2 things I like the most about the safepacker, it is made well, and I like it in the car.
    Last edited by Thanis; January 12th, 2009 at 08:14 AM.

I have both a safepacker and a fanny pack. The safepacker looks innocous enough attached to a backpack, but seems rather conspicuous if carried by itself. If going out in public on a bicycle I prefer the fanny pack. Nobody pays any attention to it at all around here. Neither are as convenient as a holstered or pocketed gun. I mostly use my safepacker as a protective case for under the seat carry in my vehicle on a long trip.
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

I never carry a man purse. NEVER.

I like and use/carry in a Tommys.

http://www.tommysgunpack.com/Product...?ProductCode=1
    Keep your powder dry

Quote Originally Posted by community View Post
    I never carry a man purse. NEVER.
    Well...

When you need to carry medical stuff for your kids, you end up putting fashion considerations aside. You can do it. Suck it up and be a man. Only a fashion diva puts style above safety. And I "know" you're not that.

I have a BAGMASTER pistol belt pack to which I have attached two 3" split rings and an over the shoulder carry sling. Note I could attach the pack to my belt via the belt loops, the spring clip, or the shoulder sling. I can carry a large gun such as an XD 45 or a full size 1911 easily with room left over for other stuff as well. Works well for me.

By the way that conventional wisdom that says that fanny packs just "scream gun" is a crock. FWIW!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links