Need some help in choosing a holster

This is a discussion on Need some help in choosing a holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know, this has probably been done more times that the bailout budget dollars being asked for, but I need the help. I'm about 5'11" ...

Thread: Need some help in choosing a holster

Question Need some help in choosing a holster

I know, this has probably been done more times that the bailout budget dollars being asked for, but I need the help. I'm about 5'11" tall and around 250 lbs. Not too fat but just plump enough. One thing I don't have is hips. In my next life I'm going to ask the Gods for some hips, but that's another story.

I have a Taurus 85 series in .38 cal. I want to carry this but so far I've been jamming it into a front pocket of my jeans with a cheapo holster I picked up at a gun show. It's a one size fits all from rifle to RPG to snubby.

What do you recommend for someone my girth and size? IWB? If so, who's works best? In pocket carry? Whose? i'm to the point of considering a Ruger LCP only because of the size and ease of concealment, but I'm giving up a lot in caliber. I prefer the 38+P over the .380. So - what say ye?

Thanks....

2. Remove Ads

I'm close to your size at 5'10ish and 250#. Right now I carry my Kimber Ultra in a TT Gun Leather OWB, with a Beltman belt and a fleece jacket. l can actually forget I'm wearing it. I pocket carry my Keltec P32 and my Ruger LCP. Other option that I like are my upertucks.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Ultimately you will need to try different holsters and possibly guns to find out how you conceal best. Can you fit under the love handles? Or don't you have any? Are you pear shaped? Apple? Banana? Manderine orange?...

I would look at holsters that are close and tight to the body and I can feel your pain about the no hips thing...I find cinching the belt a bit tighter the only answer to that dillema...but hey, that is me... you gotta earn your own box-o-holsters award!
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    If you're having success with pocket carry, I say stick with it. Not everyone can do it. I definitely can't. Perhaps try a few different pocket holsters. You never know, the cheap one you have may be the best for you.

You're also working with an easy gun to hide. With those small revolvers, look for a holster that basically leaves only the grip poking. up. As long as it's comfortable, you're set, because the grip is small. Plus, you don't have to worry about a body shield bending over, because with the Small revos, the hammer is usually covered by the holster, anyway.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Your on the right track so far. A little, lightweight snubbie is right at home in the pocket. For one of the best pocket holsters out there, order a Mika Mika's Pocket Holsters - Custom Made Pocket Holsters, Waistband Holsters, Vest Holsters, Tactical Pocket Mirrors And Much More.. While you're waiting, pickup an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster for less than $10, or a DeSantis Nemesis. If you decide on an IWB holster, look for one with a clip situated over the trigger guard area, not the cylinder. It makes a great deal of difference in comfort.

rd
    "Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Homer Bannon - Hud 1963
    Behind the Barn

Links