Shoulder Carry Rig Questions

This is a discussion on Shoulder Carry Rig Questions within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Giving a lot of thought to carrying with a shoulder rig and have been looking at a few, just have not tried one on yet. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Carry Rig Questions

Shoulder Carry Rig Questions

Giving a lot of thought to carrying with a shoulder rig and have been looking at a few, just have not tried one on yet. Three seasons of the year I ride my Harley and in the past have just open carried with an OWB paddle or 3 hole holster.

So I've been considering a shoulder rig for riding as well as for concealment under suit coat while at work.

Question comes down to comfort, and need. I don't carry extra magazines now and don't want to carry with a shoulder rig either.

Work is generally a white or blue dress shirt and a suit or sport coat.
    I'd like the rig to be leather, not suede or nylon.

Have found Galco makes a holster to fit my M&P40:
    M&P40 Holster
    Does not seem to be an abundance of setups made for my weapon.

But not sure on the rig itself, I like the look of the Executive Shoulder Holster set up as it does not have the magazine pouches:
    Executive Shoulder Holster
    But that sure is a bunch of $$$

The Jackass rigs as well as the Classic and Classic II's all seem to be set up for accessories on the weak side, and the "Lite" seems to be suede. (no thanks)

I've searched through 20 or 30 old threads and looked at Uncle Mike's and DeSantis but they seem to all be nylon rigs.
    Also, would really prefer the rig to be able to hang off the shoulder and not have to clip into my belt (especially under the holster)
    I see the Executive clips to the week side.

Thanks and look forward to your comments.
    Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    All the shoulder rigs I have tried (2 horizontal nylon ones and 1 vertical galco) have been symmetrical, and don't feel right without the magazines. Just isn't balanced. The clip into the belt part is to make a quick draw possible. Otherwise the holster just ends up coming out with the gun.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

You might take a look at Andrews custom leather "monarch" rig (www.andrewsleather.com). I ordered mine last september and it ships this week. I have also heard great things about Lou Alessi.
    Kimber Pro CDP II

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." St. Augustine A.D. 354-430

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    You may wish to check the Kramer leather should rigs out. They are EXTREMELY comfortable and are made entirely of leather. They are a bit expensive but you get what you pay for. Over the long haul they are cheaper. I have several Kramer holsters that are daily use items and are going strong for over 5 years now. Divide the initial cost over that time and they are about 1/3 the cost of "off the rack" holsters.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    All the shoulder rigs I have tried (2 horizontal nylon ones and 1 vertical galco) have been symmetrical, and don't feel right without the magazines. Just isn't balanced. The clip into the belt part is to make a quick draw possible. Otherwise the holster just ends up coming out with the gun.
    I agree with this statement. Sorry no suggestion as I use a SERPA shoulder rig.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

i just picked up a holster for conceal carry,it straps to your body,it will hold my 1911 and my xd9.[not at the same time?]it is the most comfortable strap i've tryed on.they also make them for 2 guns under each arm.
    here is the link
    Concealed Handgun Carry, Inc. - BUSHWACKER HOLSTERS
    springfield XD9

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Been pretty happy with my (3) Miami Classic rigs. No clipping underneath, but carrying something on the off side (spare mags/cuffs/N.Y.Reload) is pretty much required. It does work great on the motorcycle. Can't think of ANY I've seen that meet ALL of your criteria.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Shoulder holster - every holster drawer needs one.

I don't think I would ever get one but if I did I am partial to Andrews and Alessi.

If not carrying mags, I think the Andrews Solo is the one to have.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Question comes down to comfort, and need. I don't carry extra magazines now and don't want to carry with a shoulder rig either.

Have found Galco makes a holster to fit my M&P40:
    M&P40 Holster
    Does not seem to be an abundance of setups made for my weapon.

But not sure on the rig itself, I like the look of the Executive Shoulder Holster set up as it does not have the magazine pouches:
    Executive Shoulder Holster
    But that sure is a bunch of $$$

The Jackass rigs as well as the Classic and Classic II's all seem to be set up for accessories on the weak side, and the "Lite" seems to be suede. (no thanks)
    First...the Executive Shoulder Holster is made for certain small frame guns only, like the PPK. However Galco offers the Half Harness with Belt clip, which is similar to the executive and can be fitted with any holster made for the Miami series.

The Miami series can be fitted with only a tie down on the off side. This is the way I prefer to wear my Miami Classic. You just remove the mag carrier and add the tie down in it's place. It makes for a very secure and stable rig, with little "give" during a draw.

Galco also has a half harness with an elastic loop, but I've not personally used that rig.

I do have experience with the outstanding Executive, the Half Harness and the Miami Classic. Galco offers a plethora of accessories for their shoulder holsters...one reason I like them.
    Last edited by ripley16; January 18th, 2009 at 11:32 PM.

jfl
    I bought a horizontal shoulder holster for my G-26; it was a good, relatively inexpensive holster, comfortable while driving or riding the Harley ... BUT the idea the gun was sweeping everybody behind me made me uncomfortable; I know, it's stupid, but I am too old to be uncomfortable
    So I carried with an empty chamber ... a couple of times, and that got me upset, because that was stupid.
    I always stress the importance of carrying the same gun in the same condition and now, I am doing the opposite
    So the shoulder rig went in the infamous holster box, never to come out again.
    So, unless you don't mind wasting a hundred bill, see if you can "try before you buy"...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

shoulder rigs

I have had a uncle mikes rig for over ten years. I only wear mostly in the winter under a athletic/wind breaker jacket.I carry a G27 and two clips off side for balance.Works good for me as I usually don't spend all day with the rig on.
    Also left handed,so it can be set up either way.It took a little playing with to get it to fit comfortably.I'm 6' /280 so pretty big.Love it for trips to the store and Wally.Wear shorts 90% of the time.

i wear a shoulder rig four or five days a week on the job. i started this about 20 years ago. before this it was on the belt. i have found the galco miami classic is the best to wear. it is the old jackass rig. you can wear it all day long and it does not bite into your shoulders. it supports the gun and mags well. shoulder hosters are not for everybody,, but they are for me.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I absolutely love the Galco Miami Classic I bought for my XD45. The first shoulder rig I tried was the Blackhawk Serpa shoulder harness, and the double stack mag holders just made my right arm stick out too far, and it clearly looked like I had something underneath my arm. Another thing is that it is made of nylon and isn't comfortable to wear with tank top under shirts.

Shoulder rigs really come in handy when you're driving for long periods of time.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Look at CCWSUPPLY.BIZ info page They have a section on fitting a shoulder holster properly.
    You would be supprised how position makes a big differance. And how many people wear shoulder holsters to low.

GOOD LUCK & STAY SAFE
    It's not the bow or the arrow It's the NDN

Another vote for Sam Andrews Monarch. I use one and love it.

I would recommend talking to Sam about what he would recommend without the extra mags on the off side. I like the extra weight there, and am not sure how it would work without.

I'll be he could answer that, and he's a great guy to work with. He's very upfront and accurate on his projected delivery time, if he does not have it in stock.

I think you'll also like the greater accessability in most types of dress. Certainly much easier and safer in the restroom.

Good luck.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links