Home made Holsters

Home made Holsters

This is a discussion on Home made Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Guys, I've taken up a new hobby. I'm teaching myself how to stitch leather by hand. These are a couple of the holsters I ...

Thread: Home made Holsters

Home made Holsters

Hi Guys,
    I've taken up a new hobby. I'm teaching myself how to stitch leather by hand.
    These are a couple of the holsters I made by hand. These are also the first ones I've made and I only had very basic tools to make them with. I used a Speedy Stitch stitching Awl, a stitching horse I got for free, a snap tool set I got at ace hardware, a utility knife and thread. ( sinse I made these my wife has baught me a Complete Leather Workers Tool Kit )
    The leather is scrap leather I get for free ( from a friend who drives a trash truck for the town ) and some of the scrap leather I pay $3.00 a pound for.
    Anyway, here's the pics of my leather projects. Note the different colors of leather, that's because it's all made with scraps.

This is a picture of the stitching horse I got for free. It's not very pretty, but it works great. A stitching horse holds the leather so you can use both hands to stitch with. You can buy a stitching pony on the internet for about $20.00 if you would like to try this hobby out.

JT

Not to shabby........

You will get hooked on making your own stuff....
    “Dollars and guns are no substitutes for brains and will power” Dwight D Eisenhower

Here are some of my holsters........

Quote Originally Posted by southbound View Post
    Not to shabby........

With the prices they charge for leather holsters, your probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by JTWY View Post
    With the prices they charge for leather holsters, your probably right.
    Thats how most started our sickness. I know I did.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

For a first attempt that is real good work. I wold suggest that you use a little thicker leather next time but other then that like everything else the more you do it the better you will get.
    Bryan A Dreyer
    Sgt USMC/US Army
    .45 ACP

VIP Member
    Works for a first shot. Can't say as I could do better, so it's good.

One suggestion, though. On the 1911, reroute that safety strap so it doesn't run over the grip safety, especially if you ever intent to carry it cocked an locked in the holster. Running the strap so it presses down there will defeat the purpose of the safety.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Administrator
    I love to see folks that are making their own leather gear.
    That is exactly how many of the top holster makers got their start.
    I'd dump the stitching awl and buy this book. It's usually always for sale on Ebay.
    Hand saddle stitching is just as easy to do and it looks so much better and is stronger.
    Also buy....How To Make Holsters - Fantastic book that will show you how to make your own cutting pattern for any firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I'd dump the stitching awl and buy this book. It's usually always for sale on Ebay.
    Hand saddle stitching is just as easy to do and it looks so much better and is stronger.
    Hi OKShooter,
    I don't know who told you that using 2 needles ( Hand saddle stitching?? ) is stronger? I have the tools to do it either way and they both make the same lock stitch. Some say using 2 needles is quicker, but I zip right along with my awl. Like I said though, they both make the same exact lock stitch.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by dreyerba View Post
    For a first attempt that is real good work. I wold suggest that you use a little thicker leather next time but other then that like everything else the more you do it the better you will get.

You have to remember, this was scrap leather I used. It's not the thickest leather I could have used, but it works well and it was FREE.
    Also, at the time I made these I didn't have the tool to pre-punch stitching holes in thick leather, so I had to use leather that I could push the needle through.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Works for a first shot. Can't say as I could do better, so it's good.

One suggestion, though. On the 1911, reroute that safety strap so it doesn't run over the grip safety, especially if you ever intent to carry it cocked an locked in the holster. Running the strap so it presses down there will defeat the purpose of the safety.

Thanks,
    But I like it like it is. I made it like this on purpose so the gun has no chance of falling out. If you look closely, the grip safety isn't depressed. There is also no way to put your finger on the trigger and accidently fire the gun. You have to remove it from the holster, take off the safety, depress the grip safety and then pull the trigger to discharge the gun.
    That is a Kimber 1911-A22LR ( 22 Long Rifle ) and I don't use it for personal protection and I don't leave one in the chamber. I use the gun for rabbit hunting and prairie dog shooting and target practice.
    I made the holster for the Ruger SP101 because my other Uncle Mikes holster was junk! I was in a gun store ( of all places ) in Cody,WY and I had to use the bathroom. When I was pulling up my pants my gun fell out on to the floor and made a loud noise. Thank God it didn't go off. The strap that goes over the hammer loosens up on the uncle mikes holster ( it's adjustable ) and allowed my gun to slip right out of the holster. So I came home and made a holster that held the gun in tight.

JT
    Last edited by JD; January 21st, 2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Merged posts

Quote Originally Posted by southbound View Post
    Not to shabby........

You sure said it! Just make sure that your holsters (regardless of what you make) are functional and safe.

Links