Looking for a pocket holster that attaches to belt

This is a discussion on Looking for a pocket holster that attaches to belt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there a pocket holster that attaches to belt? To prevent the holster from sliding out?...

Thread: Looking for a pocket holster that attaches to belt

Is there a pocket holster that attaches to belt? To prevent the holster from sliding out?

For the front pocket or the back pocket?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Lead Moderator
    Most pocket holsters work with a friction backer to retain the holster during the draw. They seem to work well enough. I think any attachment that would hook to a belt would be rather odd looking and too stiff for comfort.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The pocket holsters I have are difficult to get out of the pocket without the pocket turning wrongside out. There is no possibility of the holster falling out or even coming out with the gun due to the wing of the holster or the friction of the holster.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    For the front pocket or the back pocket?
    front, but someone also mentioned it may not be comfortable, i guess if you sit down

What are you hoping to gain? It would be obvious that you had something in your pocket with it coming up and hooking on your belt. You'd be much better with an IWB setup.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I never wear my shirts tucked in so they wouldn't see my belt line, I hear that pocket holsters are sometimes hard to draw from, so I figure this would stabilize it in the pocket, maybe ill stop by a store and try whatever they have. My biggest fear with IWB is my shirt riding up over the gun, printing, and receiving a hug, so I generally dont carry.

Actually if I get a smaller gun, I guess most of the iwb problems would go away anyway.

I carry a full-size 1911 IWB and have never had an issue. Don't think smaller is better.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I think you're over thinking pocket holsters, and maybe carrying in general.

For pocket holsters, it would defeat their purpose to extend out of the pocket and hook the belt. If the possibility of them coming out with the gun is a concern (and it can be with some, though I wouldn't use those) then have a look at the Fist pocket holsters with the thumb push for example. Very positive way to naturally grip the firearm and separate it from the holster while still in the pocket.

What size pistol are you carrying? Well, you say you're not, because you fear it showing. But a large gun obviously won't fit in a pocket. So what do you have/what are you considering getting? Anything out of the ordinary about your body size/type? These answers can help us make suggestions, as probably some here have experience concealing similar weapons.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Senior Moderator
    I never heard of this and I don't see a point to it.

My pocket holster will not fall out of my pocket
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I was thinking of getting a khar pm9. I was just afraid id have poor holster control when drawing. I just looked up the fist holster and I like the design. This may be what I was looking for.

Right now I have a gun the size of a glock19, which is easy to conceal IWB in the winter time under a jacket, but not in the summer time without printing. I weigh about 140lbs, about 5.7. I guess i am over thinking it.

VIP Member
    Do a web search on "pocket holster reviews" and read up on them. I think you'll discover pocket holster makers have already thought about the need for them to stay IN your pocket!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I think I understand your concern with being able to draw in the pocket firearms. It is just the reality of that type of carry. You trade off a very small amount of easy of draw for what is often a lot of comfort.

For in the pocket carry, IMO, if the primary goal is that slips easily into a front pants pocket where it will ride unnoticed all day, go with a semi-auto .32 or .380.

Smaller frame revolvers are also a good in the pocket carry, but you will notice it a little. However, it is worth the cabilber advantages.

I have considered purchashing a Kahr PM9. While it can be carried in the pocket, it is so thin and light, I would suggest IWB. IMO the PM9 is slightly easier to carry IWB than revolvers.

I have even pocket carried a full size Glock. Naturally, it was bulky, however unnoticed.

PS - I carry the S&W 642 Airweight (no-lock) J-Frame with Uncle Mike's pocket holster loaded with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP front pocket every day. For the price, you can't go wrong.

Administrator

Suggestion:

If you often wear untucked shirts then try a good leather holster OWB in combination with a good gun belt.
    Find a carry rig that pulls your firearm in nice and close - and the firearm having some forward cant in the carry rig also helps.

Buy your shirts and T-shirts oversize and slightly long and carry directly behind your strong side hip.

Concerning hugs...you control the arms of the person intent on hugging you so that you force them to "hug high" rather than low.

Some day if you really NEED your carry firearm and you do not have it "on your person" because somebody might hug you or it may possibly "print" - then you might not be around anymore for other people to hug you.

Also...people carry so much diverse stuff on their bodies these days that should you (by chance) "print" nobody will notice...or know...or even care what has just briefly printed.

A good high quality OWB holster and stiff gun belt will go a long way toward pulling the firearm butt in close enough to your person that you'll not print even under an oversize T-Shirt.

I carry a full size & full weight firearm OWB every day under just an oversize T-Shirt and have never been made.
    These days I carry in either Milt Sparks or Del Fatti (I make my own gun belts) but, there are other great holster makers out there that you can buy a high quality carry rig from.

Quote Originally Posted by 1899 View Post
    I never wear my shirts tucked in so they wouldn't see my belt line, I hear that pocket holsters are sometimes hard to draw from, so I figure this would stabilize it in the pocket, maybe ill stop by a store and try whatever they have. My biggest fear with IWB is my shirt riding up over the gun, printing, and receiving a hug, so I generally dont carry.

Sponsored Links