There has to be a better way... - Page 2

There has to be a better way...

This is a discussion on There has to be a better way... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I totally missed the female part... sorry. Yes, Limatunes and a few other females here should chime in....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I totally missed the female part... sorry.

Yes, Limatunes and a few other females here should chime in.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I'd throw a holster party....everybody brings their favorite couple of rigs and lets all the other guests try them on.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Krockett View Post
    To pick a holster. Than buying and trying every type!
    Well, in the clothing store you can actually try on each and every article of clothing before you buy. Same with shoes. NOT the same with holsters that are purchased sight unseen. No way around that except to try them on first.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I like the idea of getting a bunch of friends to bring all there holster together to try before you buy. You can always go custom
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I am a woman, and also have shoulder pain and mobility issues. I have been purse and pocket carrying while I do a ton of research. I went to the best gun store in my area and picked their brains, joined this forum, my state's CCW forum, and also Women and Guns forum. Asked a lot of questions. Looked at a ton of websites. Watched Lima's videos a lot. Watched a lot of other video's on YouTube too - there are a lot of videos on there on Smartcarry's and other holsters.

I ended up picking a holster maker that had a good reputation for custom work... HBE and calling him, explaining where I thought I wanted to carry (where my strongest and weakest use of my good arm is) and letting him help me figure it out. I am now waiting on delivery of that holster. He is wiling to work with me to get something that will work.

I also know that I might have to try a couple to get it right, and that I will need a couple different ways due to different dress or situation needs.

I think the thing is - don't get in a hurry. Purse carry is not the greatest-or fanny pack - but will do until you get it figured out.

One thing that was suggested to me was to take a couple lessons from a good CCW instructor and they can really help you figure out where to carry for your body type.

Well... Thanks for all the advice.. I guess I just needed to be told what I already knew, there is no way around it. You can't try them unless you buy them... :) I have checked out Lima's "holster talk" videos and read what feels like millions of articles about holsters and cc and they all seem to say the same thing. Its personal, try them, try your friends, and eventually you will find what you like! THEN BUY CUSTOM!!

Krockett

We have a 30 day try before you buy policy.

Guarantee

Justin

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by High Noon View Post

Guarantee

Justin
    Thats a unbeatable offer IMO. That would seem to solve the OP's problems.

I gave HighNoon a whirl about 6 months ago. I bought one of their least expensive holsters and have been using it daily since. Sure, there are fancier and prettier holster in my drawer and on the market, but simple works everytime. Keep it simple at first, then get fancier as you develop your own preferences.
    I'll be buying more HighNoon stuff as soon as my wife isnt looking.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by High Noon View Post

Guarantee

Justin
    I actually think I am going to buy one of yours... the only holster I own is from High noon and I like it (I bought it to carry my fiances j-frame)

That is a fantastic guarantee, thanks for the reminder!

~Krockett

Quote Originally Posted by Krockett View Post
    The problem is I don't know how I prefer to carry I haven't had the opportunity to try most types. For work I am a landscaper so will probably not be able to carry at work, its not incredibly practical. Normally I dress in jeans and either a long sleeve t shirt/sweater or a t-shirt/tank with a button down over it.

I don't think that owb are super concealable, I like the idea of a shoulder holster but it seems a lot of people don't like them and as they are quite expensive I would hate to spend the money....

So I guess I still just don't know... the other thing is the gun shops around here don't seem to carry much for holsters... so pretty much you need to buy online..

~Krockett
    Jeans huh? Can you wear a belt or do you? Like to wear shirt tucked or untucked? I think there are plenty of options for you no matter how "shapely" you are for a "women". I do figure it would be harder for any woman than a man to conceal simply for the shape and normal attire. A loose fitting button-up man's shirt might help with a lot of things. Long sleeve, where you can roll them up when you want. Landscaping huh? Interesting! Ever thought about cargo pants or surplus army fatigues? They have an awful lot of pockets for almost anything. A shoulder holster under a shirt? Never...almost inaccessible actually. Belly band? Appendix carry? You've got to engineer this ordeal on your own while still looking like a woman. I can just figure how difficult that could be. Check out some more options on the internet. In my opinion, SOB may do well for you.
    Methods of Concealed Carry
    Concealed Carry from a Woman's Perspective
    Concealed Carry Methods
    Conceal Carry Options for Women
    Concealed Carry Advice for Women (vanity)
    Concealed Carry for Women
    There's going to be a lot of options out there for you once you start looking. Nobody said it would be easy. Good luck, and you can take that from one of the members of a mostly male dominated world.

Oh...by the way...ever check out Mitch Rosen Upper Limit line? I like mine, it fits very tight to the body and conforms actually. The only thing I know about womens' hips is well...........but I can see the possibility. But it's a belt holster, and OWB. Ultra high ride though.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thats a unbeatable offer IMO. That would seem to solve the OP's problems.

I gave HighNoon a whirl about 6 months ago. I bought one of their least expensive holsters and have been using it daily since. Sure, there are fancier and prettier holster in my drawer and on the market, but simple works everytime. Keep it simple at first, then get fancier as you develop your own preferences.
    I'll be buying more HighNoon stuff as soon as my wife isnt looking.
    I carry a Glock 23 daley in High Noon IWB

And I'm very happy with it and will buy more.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    With the K40 I'd recommend a COMIII from HBE Leatherworks. It's the best of the best for quality but the price is lower than most of the top end and the delivery times are good.

I'd also recommend that you as for a "closed" bottom with extra leather around the bottom. this will help it lay on your side/hip without digging in. The normal cant he makes them in is good and helps but you could ask for a bit more.

I believe this would be an ideal quality rig for you based on all of the holsters I've tried over the years. I have several kahrs so I'm carrying a similar weapon and I'm 5'7". The part I don't know is how a gun in a holster will fit your shape and where you'll carry it. The MK40 would have concealed a LOT easier because that little difference in lenght on the grip makes a HUGE difference. The thiness of the Kahr is it's greatest attribute.

Sorry there is not way to avoid all the buying and trying, however, IF you buy one and it doesn't work, you can turn around and post it for sale on this web site and sell it easily. You may loose $20 or $30 but that's a small price to pay.

If you get a good holster that is only a little "off", in one way or another, a lot of the custom makers will redo it for nothing or for a nominal fee if you return the first one. I know HBE will.

Good luck with finding what works!

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    In my view it is necessary to decide if you want first class products and are willing to pay the price. This and other gun forums have a lot of information, and if one wants top notch holsters and accessories he will save a lot of money and time by going to one of the top makers and pay the price and do the waiting. This is not to say that some more commercial makers do not make a satisfactory holster.

Unfortunately there is no way to tell how comfortable a specific design is going to be unless you can borrow. If you will talk to the maker he can give you some good information that is likely to save you from buying those that you will not wear.

Some do have a 7 - 30 day period that you can learn if the holster is for you. The High Noon warranty is great, and they make a good holster. If you want one without the long wait High Noon and Fist have good reputations. I do not have a High Noon, but recently bought a Fist #12 BASIC for a M640 and it is a very good and perfectly satisfactory holster at a very reasonable price. I would not hesitate to buy from either maker if they had what I needed.

Best of luck on not owning dozens of holsters that just take up drawer space - as too many of us have done.

Best,
    Jerry

I'm still hunting for the right holster. Anything IWB from the 3-6 o'clock position leaves the grip jabbing the living daylights out of me. High ride holsters make it worse. OWB is OK, but of course not as concealable. The best fit so far for me is the IWB with a single clip carried as a crossdraw. That's for the Rohrbaugh. M&P or XD has to be OWB. Not a happy camper yet!!

I ordered some holsters.. a SOB, a IWB with a 15 degree cant, and a shoulder holster for around the house, when concealment is not an issue... so, so much for not buying a bunch of holsters!! :) I will let you all know which I decide I like the most!

Thank you all for your help!

~Krockett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links