There has to be a better way...

This is a discussion on There has to be a better way... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To pick a holster. Than buying and trying every type! I recently bought my very first gun and now need to find the perfect holster ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There has to be a better way...

To pick a holster. Than buying and trying every type!
    I recently bought my very first gun and now need to find the perfect holster for it.

However I don't know how to go about doing that, I can't afford to buy a bunch of holsters and try them out and I only know one other person besides my fiance that carries and he doesn't have a similar gun or many carry options...

I have carried my fiances j-frame in a iwb holster some, and it is ok. The gun I bought was a khar K40. Currently I don't have any holsters for it. So my real question is if I can only buy one holster for concealment for this gun, not knowing what I prefer for holsters what should I buy?

A little info on me.. I am a 5' 7 women, very active, and averagely sized/shaped.
    My main concerns about the holster are its Concealment, retention, comfort, and cost..

Any advice?

Thanks Krockett

Quote Originally Posted by Krockett View Post
    To pick a holster. Than buying and trying every type!
    I recently bought my very first gun and now need to find the perfect holster for it.

However I don't know how to go about doing that, I can't afford to buy a bunch of holsters and try them out and I only know one other person besides my fiance that carries and he doesn't have a similar gun or many carry options...

I have carried my fiances j-frame in a iwb holster some, and it is ok. The gun I bought was a khar K40. Currently I don't have any holsters for it. So my real question is if I can only buy one holster for concealment for this gun, not knowing what I prefer for holsters what should I buy?

A little info on me.. I am a 5' 7 women, very active, and averagely sized/shaped.
    My main concerns about the holster are its Concealment, retention, comfort, and cost..

Any advice?

Thanks Krockett

You're starting off right! Asking questions. First though, you'll need to decide how you're going to carry. IWB, OWB, pocket, deep concealment, ankle, etc...... That's going to depend a lot on your style of dress and could change from the work week to the weekend as an example.

Once you're able to tell people how you prefer to carry, people can give you some insight as to what worked and didn't work for them. Of course it helps if they're somewhat similar in body type to you and you'll absolutely want to pay particular attention to what the ladies out there have to say. Unfortunately, once you make an informed decision, the best you can do is buy it, try it, and hope for the best. Most of us have more holsters than guns.......

I'm 5'10 and 170lbs and carry a Kahr like yours, a K9. My personal preference is IWB at about 3:30, and I use a Crossbreed Supertuck. I find that it conceals very well, both tucked and untucked, has great retention, and has enough adjustability to make it extremely comfortable for me. I also highly recommend a good gun belt. My personal favorites come from the Beltman, though, like holsters, there are plenty from which to choose.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Actually, I used a scientific method by which I loaded in all the suggestions as to IWB, OWB, Pocket, Shoulder Rig etc... then I loaded in My height and weight and then finally I loaded the prices for each type and manufacturer.

I came out with Side Guard Holsters and so thats what I bought. I just got a Kholster too but that was simply because it was less costly than others of the same type.

Sorry but Im not so into it that I can or want to differentiate between leather types and the costs associated.

I just want something thats comfortable and that I can wear every day.

I agree this place is an excellent reasource to narrow your options.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

If you decide on IWB carry I suggest one of the Kydex holsters from COMPTAC. If OWB is your preference many good options can be purchased at a reasonable price from FIST. These are my personal choices based on quality, price, customer service, and turnaround time. As always, your mileage may vary.

Crossbreed has a "2-Week-Try-it-Free gaurantee!"

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    You're starting off right! Asking questions. First though, you'll need to decide how you're going to carry. IWB, OWB, pocket, deep concealment, ankle, etc...... That's going to depend a lot on your style of dress and could change from the work week to the weekend as an example.

Once you're able to tell people how you prefer to carry, people can give you some insight as to what worked and didn't work for them. Of course it helps if they're somewhat similar in body type to you and you'll absolutely want to pay particular attention to what the ladies out there have to say. Unfortunately, once you make an informed decision, the best you can do is buy it, try it, and hope for the best. Most of us have more holsters than guns.......

The problem is I don't know how I prefer to carry I haven't had the opportunity to try most types. For work I am a landscaper so will probably not be able to carry at work, its not incredibly practical. Normally I dress in jeans and either a long sleeve t shirt/sweater or a t-shirt/tank with a button down over it.

I don't think that owb are super concealable, I like the idea of a shoulder holster but it seems a lot of people don't like them and as they are quite expensive I would hate to spend the money....

So I guess I still just don't know... the other thing is the gun shops around here don't seem to carry much for holsters... so pretty much you need to buy online..

~Krockett
    Last edited by Krockett; January 22nd, 2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Krockett View Post
    The problem is I don't know how I prefer to carry I haven't had the opportunity to try most types. For work I am a landscaper so will probably not be able to carry at work, its not incredibly practical. Normally I dress in jeans and either a long sleeve t shirt/sweater or a t-shirt/tank with a button down over it.

I don't think that owb are super concealable, I like the idea of a shoulder holster but it seems a lot of people don't like them and as they are quite expensive I would hate to spend the money....

So I guess I still just don't know... the other thing is the gun shops around here don't seem to carry much for holsters... so pretty much you need to buy online..

~Krockett (who thinks her last post confused her!!)
    I have found that there are times I want to carry IWB and other times OWB and I have bought both types for my carry guns. It does cost a few bucks and there doesn't seem to be any way around that. I expect your experience will be the same.

VIP Member
    CB are a great holster with a two week trial period.

Look for posts by Limatunes, Betty, or other women on here about how they carry. Asking the rest of us guys is like, well you know.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Look for posts by Limatunes, Betty, or other women on here about how they carry. Asking the rest of us guys is like, well you know.
    lol, well I was hoping some of the women would weigh in......

Check out the info at Cornered Cat. A site for women that seems to have a lot of information and suggestions.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

+1
    I have carried about 8 years and have a box full of holsters,
    well I guess you can said I buy too many guns and that can
    cause it too.
    But after 8 years I just gave up on holsters and go with
    belly bands and fanny packs/belt packs.
    I think you will find it is truly a personal thing ,no one can
    tell you for sure what will work for you.
    Just hang in there and don,t get discouraged.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I have a Don Hume 715 SOOT IWB for a 642 and it's been a great little holster for the money. Shop around and you can get it for under $30.

Definitely seek out limatunes and the other women on here. Also look on YOUTUBE for Holster Talk, those are posted by our very own limatunes. My GF watched them all and has been reading her blogs as well as cornered cat and has found them very useful to her.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I would point you to the Cornered Cat and the Breda Fallacy. Women that carry.

Having typed that, I've thrown out 80% of my pre-carry wardrobe.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links