SOB carry - want your thoughts

This is a discussion on SOB carry - want your thoughts within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mostly from those of you who have worn SOB as a primary carry option for any length of time, I would like some insight on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOB carry - want your thoughts

SOB carry - want your thoughts

Mostly from those of you who have worn SOB as a primary carry option for any length of time, I would like some insight on a few counts:

1. How did you like to carry?

-->Palm in, between 90 degrees (neutral cant) and horizontal (right side up - grip down)
    --At what angle did you carry?
    --Was it full, compact, subcompact? Other classification?
    --Under what circumstances did you find this type of carry uncomfortable?
    --

-->Palm out (upside-down - grip up) between 0* and...45*?
    --At what angle did you carry?
    --Was it full, compact, subcompact? Other classification?
    --Under what circumstances did you find this type of carry uncomfortable?
    --

-->Tucked?
    --How did you carry?
    --[Same questions as were asked above]

2. Based on your experience carrying SOB, would you:
    -->Advise another to steer clear of SOB
    -->Recommend SOB
    --Holster recommendations?
    --Suggest a slightly different carry method for SOB (different cant, etc)

3. Was there any time where you absolutely could NOT pull off SOB carry?

That's all I can think of for now. Feel free to embellish or add anything that I may have forgotten. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Here's what I'm using pending my custom holsters:

I wear mine to the right of my spine at about 4 O'Clock. I'd never wear it over my spine. It has a good draw stroke, good cant, and has been highly durable.

Here's their site:

Gould & Goodrich | Gold Line Concealment Holsters, Belts & Accessories | Small Of The Back Holster
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

VIP Member
    To each their own but I wouldn't carry SOB, MOB or anywhere but 3:30 - 4:00. (for right hand carry)

Yeah, I tried it. I had to find out for myself and I think it's a poor choice for comfort, safely drawing and accessibility.

This has already been beat to death over several threads here.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Agree with Thumper. Besides the comfort factor it would seem to me too complex movements required to draw and reholster.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I'm in the (vocal) minority here. I find it a viable option, glad to have it in the repoitare.

I have the Galco SOB (palm in draw, roughly 45 degree cant) for the Glock 19, but it is used very rarely. This does not fit my preferred method of SOB.

I did carry SOB for some length of time. I did it without a holster, and with a holster. I did it with a Combat Commander and with a Glock 17 and Glock 19. I've more recently done it with a full sized 1911.

My preference is around 7:00 (left handed) cavalry draw (palm out) near vertical (maybe 10 degrees of cant).

The rig I currently have and occasionally use for this is the Mernickle PS2SOB for a 5 inch 1911 (barrell of a 5 inch does push the limits, I no longer have a Commander- should probably get the same rig for my 3 inch Micro).

I need to state this again for those who will raise their voices with posts to the contrary, I find NO trouble drawing from this position without sweeping anything other than the floor (myself, bystanders, the Cocker Spaniel next door, NONE get swept). Maybe that's a problem others have (seems like it must be as that objection is raised every time I see this discussed). The draw is essentially as fast (in fact quite similar, with the addition of wrist rotation) as a strong side IWB/OWB carry.

For the record, my most frequent choice these days is the IWB at 8/9 o'clock. I find it more convenient and have acquired some very high quality holsters (Milt Sparks) that make it so. But I am still glad to have the experience I do with small of back (5-7 o'clock) carry as an option, as I am a fan of choices and versatility.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the suggestions and holster recommendations.

Aside from SOB being uncomfortable and/or inaccessible, what other problems have you [nay-sayers] had with SOB carry?

I've carried MOB with a full size 1911 some years ago. Never really considered SOB carry, as I seem to need the grip toward my strong side at an angle that made the grip perpendicular to my backbone or horizontal if you will. It worked rather well for me at the time, but I seldom carried in public this way...mainly around the farm. Years have passed, and the 1911 also went on it's way for reasons I still can't quite figure out. But until recently, I haven't considered it again. On further thinking, appendix carry would probably be more attractive to me than the MOB carry, but I won't rule out either one of those methods totally, simply because I've tried them and made these methods work for me in ways only I can do with my physique. But again, I very seldom carry those ways in public, but I have. I know some folks have good reasons, lessons learned, and scientific facts to back up their statements of why one shouldn't carry a certain way. But so long as one knows the actual risks involved, the possible risks, willing to do things correctly as far as draw and motion, has become totally safe (not reasonably safe) with their methods, there's no real good reason in my opinion that someone shouldn't try or do what suits them best. It's just like me telling someone why they should buy a Glock over something else. It's what works best for you, and that's pretty much all there is to it. And I stand firmly in the belief that options are always good to have. So......since you've contemplated the thought of SOB carry, I'll suggest doing so around the house. Do this with your pistol unloaded, or even without magazine. Try the holster you're interested in, or if you want to be more frugal and not spend $80 on an SOB holster....just try it out tucked into your belt/pants for a while. It's going to move a lot more than with the proper holster of course, but you'll get a feel for the weight, and the position. Walk with it, do chores with it, bend over, stoop, pick up a dime off the floor, do everyday common tasks you would normally do. Sit down on the couch, stand up and pull the chain on your ceiling fan...try it out, put your ideas through the paces. Maybe even pick up a reasonably priced weak side or strong side clip on belt holster IWB and try it. You will be the engineer on this one.

I carry a full XD-45 Service SOB in a UBG Chanute at 45deg, palm in, untucked. I dont have pain and welcome the feeling it gives me, kind of comforting to know exactly where it is. I can sit back on it driving also.

The only issues are when you sit or bend the pistol will stick out so you have to be cautious to sit back all the way in the chair, and dont get it hooked on the chair back when you stand-up :D
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

I occasionally wear a Dillon Leather SOB for my G23 I wear it at the 4:30 about the kidneys. Kind of a Strong side draw with an EXTREME cant. It's different but doable. +1 on gizmos comments gotta watch sitting in certain chairs and the shirt riding up in back. It slao tends to rattle and make odd noises on chair back when you sit down in them.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I dont dig the SOB carry but if you must, Id say butt end to the spine, palm to the back to draw. It seems unnatural and just wrong but done this way you're not crossing the muzzle across the body.

Just my .02
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member
    I carried a P-12 45 in a Galco IWB MOB under a suit coat (no split in back - Italian cut) for 5 years. Palm out draw.

I provided a high degree of concealment (I have a bubble butt and it rode in the hollow very comfortable) and was only uncomfortable in a car. In normal business chairs it was just fine. I could reach back to my wallet and never show anything. It was ideal for me at the time.

It has its place and with the right clothing will give you superb concealment yet not be a hinderance on ability to draw.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    I dont dig the SOB carry but if you must, Id say butt end to the spine, palm to the back to draw. It seems unnatural and just wrong but done this way you're not crossing the muzzle across the body.

Just my .02
    Not implying that you were implying that a palm outward draw from MOB carry...grip facing strong side would sweep any part of your body, but it all comes down to technique. I just simply cannot get over how some think there is a way that one would be sweeping themselves with the muzzle while doing this draw. Either way, you're rotating the wrist 90, but a palm out draw from the back is more natural for me as the grab does not require rotation of the wrist, the presentation does. To each his own. I just had to comment on that.

Administrator
    We have not had the obligatory three ~ "Your Spine Will Snap In Half Like A Twig If You Fall." comments yet.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    We have not had the obligatory three ~ "Your Spine Will Snap In Half Like A Twig If You Fall." comments yet.
    No, but it won't do you any good. Since the early 90's myself along with many others have tried to move everything off off the back of our duty belts to the sides. One is comfort, the second reason is so as not to concentrate any force on your back during a fall.

In a recent thread I spoke about how during a physical confrontation leading to your need to draw how even carrying behind the hip could present a higher failure rate then carrying APEX or on the pants seam. Carrying SOB would be even worse. It is just my belief that tools to deal with people problems should be carried between the pocket seams to the front. The further behind past the pocket seam you carry the more economy of motion you loose. Just my $.02

Administrator
    Personally I do not carry Small Of Back.

It sure is a less than ideal location for anything in my humble opinion.

I also totally agree that Law Enforcement should not position anything directly over the spine due to the nature and idiosyncratic daily requirements of their job.

They are far more likely to scuffle and tumble than the average Joe.

I also agree that civilians should not ever carry SOB in icy conditions where a backward fall would be far more likely to happen.

I do see SOB carry to be far less hazardous for ordinary civilians just going about their "average daily lives" specifically with regard to falling over backward.

Something that has not happened to me personally since I was about 1.5 years old.

Another (Devils Advocate) side of the coin.....I can also guarantee you that if any person were to slip and "body slam" backward on icy concrete steps...that they would (for sure) rather their spine impact on a holstered firearm (in order to somewhat distribute the force of that impact) rather than to impact their unprotected spine directly on a sharp concrete corner or curb.

I know that in that instance I would hope that a nicely holstered firearm was right there over my spine.
    Just something for folks to mull over.

So my honest opinion is I don't know why anybody would want to carry there but, if they really want to...it's their body and their preferred clumsy location & not mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links