K&D Clips

This is a discussion on K&D Clips within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a K&D Dakota Defender on order. I see one's that have different clips. Are the clips on the current ones short and wide ...

Thread: K&D Clips

K&D Clips

I have a K&D Dakota Defender on order. I see one's that have different clips.

Are the clips on the current ones short and wide or longer and thin like the MTAC's? Any practical difference between the two?
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I ordered mine w/velcro clips. They're great for total concealment. When I asked Kevin what size the other standard clips were, he said that they are the newer, thinner ones (ala the new MTAC clips). As for which are better, others who have used both the thinner and thicker clips have told me the thinner ones are better. I actually have the standard thin ones on my MTAC and they work well. I have never tried the older style myself though.

I really like the velcro route. You should think about going that way. Also, the standard clips turn up FS often on this board and others so you can buy an extra set usually cheap to try out or use instead of velcro at times.

Thanks. I don't need the "total concealment" tucked in thing so I didn't want velcro. Just forgot to ask Kevin about the standard clips.

Clips

I just received my Thunderbird from Kevin and it came with Garrett clips. They are thicker and wider than the CompTac... I like them but they are a bit short for longer holsters, so to speak.

Just for "giggles": I really dig the holster! Kevin did a great job and the leather is flawless! I have always admired his work and thought the Thunderbird would make a great carry for my P7... and it does!
    Thanks Kevin!!!

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    The standard clips that Kevin provides are not the CompTac clips. He uses a different supplier for those. They are the "whaletail" style that clip over the belt. The "C" clips he provides are the CompTac brand clips. I have the "C" clips as shown in the pic below.

This is the whaletail clip that Kevin provided as his "standard" clip with my Defender.

"Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    This is the whaletail clip that Kevin provided as his "standard" clip with my Defender.

Tucker clips. Got it.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I stand corrected on the clips I guess. I thought the newer Dakota Defenders came with the newer style comp-tac clips. Again, I ordered Velcro with mine. If the comp-tac c-clips work then I'm sure the standard ones would work. I never tried swapping my slim MTAC clips and DD velcro clips. Give Kevin a call if you need to confirm your preference.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Tucker clips. Got it.

Tucker uses Garrett clips I believe...
    “Dollars and guns are no substitutes for brains and will power” Dwight D Eisenhower

Here are some of my holsters........

Within the last couple of months, I ordered clips from Kevin and got the longer, thinner ones.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

The way it sounds, I'll just wait and be surprised!

I think it is just supply and demand for the leather guys.. If one Kydex clip maker is out or has a long lead time they go to the next....

Now if they had the time to make their own they may always have the same clips...

I know of one leather guy that has solicited a Kydex hobbyist to make his clips. It seems to have worked out well for the two Hopefully when ordering from him you will always get the same clip...
    “Dollars and guns are no substitutes for brains and will power” Dwight D Eisenhower

Here are some of my holsters........

Links