Belts for IWB, a little tight or a little loose?

This is a discussion on Belts for IWB, a little tight or a little loose? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gonna order another belt soon. I currently wear 36" pants and have my belt on 38" when I carry IWB. It is slightly loose, not ...

Thread: Belts for IWB, a little tight or a little loose?

Belts for IWB, a little tight or a little loose?

Gonna order another belt soon. I currently wear 36" pants and have my belt on 38" when I carry IWB. It is slightly loose, not to the point where it droops un-necessarily, but it can move around. When I tighten my belt to 37" it's a bit tight, almost uncomfortable. So my question is, what does everyone here do? If you carry IWB, do you carry with your belt slightly loose as in my situation or do you make it tighter and just deal with it?

Gonna order a new belt and want to size it right. Should I do 7 holes and split the difference to say 37.5" or 37.75"?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

2. Remove Ads

I've got to have mine tight. Tighter for OWB of course, but I'm about to drill some new holes in my 1 1/2" belt for my P220 OWB carry. I have a double hook belt with six options, but I need one more option for the P220 and drawing the belt tighter just one notch. I mainly carry IWB, and my holster choice is comfortable, but I still like to draw the belt tight since my holster has the possibility of overriding my jeans belt loops with activity, and since my activities may run the gamut, and since I carry 24/7 when possible, all possibilities have been pretty much taken care of on my part. I even do underneath the car oil changes laying on the ground and crawling underneath the car and almost everything while wearing my pistol choice IWB. And I'm always confident in the way I do. The belt is key no doubt.

Distinguished Member
    7 holes is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    7 holes is the way to go.
    Well, if 37" is a bit tight, 38" is a bit loose, would I go with 37.25", 37.5", or 37.75"?

When I say loose, it's not flopping around and the holster and gun are very secure, but it does tend to shift around sometimes while driving or whatnot. I suppose it could be the holster's nature to do that a bit but I am going to order another gun belt and figured I should ask how people prefer to carry their IWB rig so that I get an opinion on what's good for others. I can better base my sizing decisions on that.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member
    The 7 hole will have a different spacing they are 3/4" from each hole and the 6 hole belts are 1" from each hole. So you should be able to get a better fit with the 7 holes 3/4" apart. When I ordered my Rafter belt going buy the way they said to measure it, I had to add 2" to the belt for it to fit right with any holster. I have heard that you need to add 1'' to a beltman from others on this forum. Most belt makers only make there belts in whole numbers, 37, 38, 39, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    The 7 hole will have a different spacing they are 3/4" from each hole and the 6 hole belts are 1" from each hole. So you should be able to get a better fit with the 7 holes 3/4" apart. When I ordered my Rafter belt going buy the way they said to measure it, I had to add 2" to the belt for it to fit right with any holster. I have heard that you need to add 1'' to a beltman from others on this forum. Most belt makers only make there belts in whole numbers, 37, 38, 39, etc.
    However, if you order a belt with 7 holes and specify 37" it measures from the middle hole. Spacing 3/4" apart you get 37.75" as the next hole up. If you order 36" you get 36.75" > 37.5"

You see what I'm saying?
    -Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    Yeah I see what you are saying, I think you are going to need a 39", I think 36 will be to small. I wear 34 pants and I have a 37 belt that fits perfect with a holster (4th hole) , right in the center hole. I have to pull it one hole tighter (5th hole) without the holster.

Check out The BeltMan's site and how they have you measure for their belts. Gun Belts by The Belt Man | tel. (919) 387-1997 | SIZING YOUR BELT
    ...T. Ray

Links