High ride or low ride?

This is a discussion on High ride or low ride? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I'm relatively new to the custom holster game, and consistent CCW for that matter, I'm trying to understand what is likely to be a ...

Thread: High ride or low ride?

High ride or low ride?

As I'm relatively new to the custom holster game, and consistent CCW for that matter, I'm trying to understand what is likely to be a simple concept as well as how it pertains to different pistols.

I've been carrying a 1911 in a Bullard for a while and picked up a CW9 yesterday for eventual replacement as my EDC. I'm looking into an HBE but noticed he offers various ride heights. It seems like there is a need for different ride heights based on the type of pistol but I'm not sure which would be the best fit for my Kahr.

Can anyone share their experiences as to which works better for which pistol? Is this more of a personal preference or is it based on how the pistol itself is weighted?

Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Ads

One thing with a High Ride type holster is you need a very good belt because the weight rides so high and the gun can flop out from your body.

It really is personal preference and if you been carrying a 1911 and going to a Kahr the difference in size a normal or low height carry would work fine IMHO.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Body shape will also play into it. IMO, a high-ride holster needs a body shape that allows for the butt of the gun to ride tightly against the body. Not all folks are of a tube-less design, so to speak (that is, lacking "love handles"). Won't work nearly as well for some folks.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ron
    I think it also depends upon your cover garment. Assuming we are discussing an OWB holster, I have found it needs to ride a bit higher if I want to just use a T shirt untucked for cover here in Florida.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Body shape will also play into it. IMO, a high-ride holster needs a body shape that allows for the butt of the gun to ride tightly against the body. Not all folks are of a tube-less design, so to speak (that is, lacking "love handles"). Won't work nearly as well for some folks.
    I'm definitely of the tubed verity. Love handles do push the top of a high riding gun out and it will print badly. If you don't have the handles usually high rides are ok with a good belt.

If you are of the larger variety a good way to find a good ride height is with a camera. Hold your gun (empty of course) against your side were you think would be a good position. If it's setting on top of a handle it will print, lower it until the gun sets just under the handle and have someone take a picture of it. Use the picture to see were your belt is in relation to the gun. You can then compare this to the pics on the makers website or you can e-mail them the pics and ask if they could make the holster to ride in that position.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I think it also depends upon your cover garment. Assuming we are discussing an OWB holster, I have found it needs to ride a bit higher if I want to just use a T shirt untucked for cover here in Florida.
    Good point.

I have a TT high-ride on order because I don't want to change my wardrobe.

Administrator
    Good Answers.

I am one of those over weight guys, and carry my 1911 in a high ride BS. Not a problem for me with the right belt. IMO, the 1911 is a heavy gun, add 8 rds., and it gets heavier, the right belt is not an option, but a must. Any cover shirt works well for me.
    Attached Images
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    That's interesting, because I've found exactly the opposite with my IWB holster, and am looking for a holster lower riding than my Versa Max II. I strongly suspect a Max Con V will conceal better than the Versa Max II (nothing at all against the Milt Sparks holster; I just want to see if I'm right and if another holster can do it better).

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Ron
    [QUOTE=BAC;1001425]That's interesting, because I've found exactly the opposite with my IWB holster, and am looking for a holster lower riding than my Versa Max II. I strongly suspect a Max Con V will conceal better than the Versa Max II (nothing at all against the Milt Sparks holster; I just want to see if I'm right and if another holster can do it better).

-B[/QUOTE

Come to think of it, that is, indeed, interesting, because when I carry IWB, which is not often, I also prefer a lower riding holster.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I much prefer a low ride holster. It keeps the gun close to the body, and is easier to draw from under a shirt.
    I have not found a low ride holster difficult to keep covered with a shirt worn outside the pants. I like my holsters to be cut and low enough so that the muzzle clears the holster by the time it gets to the top of the belt.

Regards,
    Jerry

It depends the low ride sinks the gun lower in to your waistband concealing it more effectively but it also tucks the grip and can make it a little harder to get to in some ways. High ride is nice but sometimes if your torso is long u have to really raise your elbow and hand very high to grap the grip because it rides way up your ribcage. Just food for thought.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I've got handles and wear a high ride without issue. I can wear it with an untucked shirt, or under a jacket. I looked at a low ride, but the bottom of the holster was showing under the T-shirt and my jacket. The other option would have been to buy a longer jacket and longer shirts. I couldn't justify the expense.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Links